Ease & Wizz for SI ?

Discussions about animating in SOFTIMAGE©
Frank1000

Ease & Wizz for SI ?

Post by Frank1000 » 27 Feb 2013, 03:19

Hi,
animation of objects from value A to value B if not given some pesase is quite uniform and outdated and needs some wizz. For After Effects there is http://ianhaigh.com/easeandwizz/ a script. Is there something similar for SI to make lame animation moves more live and drive ?

Regards,
Frank

edit by owei: PLEASE USE URL TAGS...!!! THANKS!

EricTRocks

Re: Ease & Wizz for SI ?

Post by EricTRocks » 27 Feb 2013, 15:05

Don't know of one off the top of my head, though they don't call it animation for nothing. Set some keys and adjust in the fcurve editor.
Eric Thivierge
Lead Kraken Developer, Fabric Engine
http://fabric-engine.github.io/Kraken

Frank1000

Post by Frank1000 » 27 Feb 2013, 18:26

Hi Eric,
ya the fcurve thing ... i experienced it as kinda hard to get a realistic, convincing movement such as picking or placing like by hand. Ease & Wizz for example allows to fine tune different pre-fabricated motion, which again makes it cool to check out a few of them and pick the best fit to continue with. I keep seeing 3d animations where this is done nicely and was wondering if there are similar to ease & wizz "engines" available that are in use in those studios.
I mean if nothing's available i still can go to After Effects, create a translation with such a preset and copy paste the fcurve either if it allows for export/import or just by screenshot and then rebuilding SI fcurve and scale to proper timing ... but that'd be tedious when it comes to many of such tasks and i'm always curious about the pros toolbox to let stuff shine in a bit brighter light.

Frank

gustavoeb

Post by gustavoeb » 01 Mar 2013, 23:55

Seriously? If i get this it is just a fcurve preset slightly custizable and in the form of something a lot more grandiose then it really is.
Calling it an engine is decieving... maybe even insulting to those that write real engine code.
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/

gustavoeb

Post by gustavoeb » 02 Mar 2013, 00:19

That said C4D has something called delayer which automatically eases your animations. It is no fcurve preset though... its kind like a sim running on top of your animation (that becomes clear if you scrub the timeline backwards). I am not sure you can apply it to anything besides kinematics...
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/

Letterbox

Post by Letterbox » 02 Mar 2013, 16:08

Technically none of these are 'fcurves' in the traditional sense, they ARE Expressions.

from the site...

"A while back, Flash guru Robert Penner created a suite of extremely useful easing equations that have been used to build thousands of websites worldwide. "

Take a look at the links highlighted in Blue on the url given, there you'll simply find the code*, the pdf that explains, with this you too can create the same expressions in the expression editor.

If you dont know how to use the expression editor - press F1. It's worth getting to know, as seen by this very question.

Cheers

The code is available as:
JavaScript, jQuery Easing Plugin, CSS, SCSS, LESS, ActionScript 3.0 (single class), ActionScript 3.0 (classes), CoffeeScript, Java, Lua, C#, C++, C, ActionScript 2.0, ActionScript 1.0

Frank1000

Post by Frank1000 » 02 Mar 2013, 21:57

Hey Letterbox,
thx for pointing in the right direction www.robertpenner.com/easing .

Here is a cool interactive function generator / animator over Robert Penner's site as well.

Seems the term is motion tweening, at least Adobe Flash is into this a lot.

Just realized that capturing mouse movement allows for realistic looking motion too ...

Letterbox

Post by Letterbox » 02 Mar 2013, 22:58

Glad to have helped you on your way.

Also for a visual tutorial on the "expression editor" look at the training thread on here, one post by Rob about production dvd, which will give you a great overview on the expression editor, and our web site which will help you see it more in a production usage.

As for motion tweening, look at ghosting, and other plugins on here to help, including the ever excellent rray.de/xsi

All the best with springing, bouncy, jumpy, easing, inflection animations.

Cheers

Frank1000

Post by Frank1000 » 03 Mar 2013, 04:13

Hey Letterbox, pls update your links, they're not set. Curious to check those out.
Thx,
Frank

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 03 Mar 2013, 14:06

Frank1000 wrote:Hey Letterbox,
thx for pointing in the right direction www.robertpenner.com/easing .

Here is a cool interactive function generator / animator over Robert Penner's site as well.

Seems the term is motion tweening, at least Adobe Flash is into this a lot.
Well, Daniel Brassard already posted translations into ICE. Generally, getting something like these After Effects plugins into ICE, doesn't require any advanced math. But... getting the same 'taste', that's another story. This part can take a lot of time... It's like cooking, everyone knows the recipe, but result isn't always the same.
I'd say, if After Effects plugin does for you what you want, stay with After Effects for this stuff.
About 'animation delayer', or Blender's ARewO, it was 'animation offset' addon, by Oz Adi, I think, sometime around XSI 5 - don't believe it will work on latest SI. Anyway I remember I didn't used it that much, Usually, animation in 3d app is more complex than that single transition, so it become hard to tell to addon, on what, where you want to apply it. Like runnig some complex modeling operator, where you already can move a few vertices... Simple way for animation delaying is just to animate a bunch objects at once, de- select one, move keys in animation editor, repeat the procedure. Once you're confident with animation editor, easy and fast to do.

Frank1000

Post by Frank1000 » 03 Mar 2013, 23:47

Hi Mathaeus,
ya, the Animation Editor is probably the most natural way to tweak motion tween. Often the way the object moves just gives the work the extra quality. In those terms it's cool to review the animation and choose from a library off moves, including real life ones which are captured and not even a formula. I captured my final one now.
As a daydream i'm sure it's possible to make a lib, put it online and make an ICE compound that looks up the online lib and offers previewing the animation from what move-animations it finds there ... and people can upload their moves etc. ... who knows, maybe that lib even be popular. If i was knowledged enough about ICE and web app it'd be a hobby for me to put such a lib up.