Inside tech on the new LightWave

Forum for users who have migrated or are migrating to other software
User avatar
MauricioPC
Moderator
Posts: 1059
Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 13:39

Inside tech on the new LightWave

Post by MauricioPC » 29 Sep 2015, 14:12

Rob Powers, President of LightWave 3D, shared on LW forums some new tech about the new PBR render engine. He talks a lot about architecture revamp and changes for the next LightWave integration.

Pretty awesome read I must say.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php ... PBR-Engine

Disclamer: This images were just test between the team, that Rob decided to share. It's not to be taken as a final render quality or whatever.
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

forton
Posts: 210
Joined: 25 Nov 2011, 17:57

Re: Inside tech on the new LightWave

Post by forton » 30 Sep 2015, 12:28

Never had any problems with Lightwaves renderer, it's pretty awesome.

User avatar
MauricioPC
Moderator
Posts: 1059
Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 13:39

Re: Inside tech on the new LightWave

Post by MauricioPC » 30 Sep 2015, 14:16

Rob Powers is posting saying that a lot of revamp went into the architecture and that good things are coming. I do hope so. While there's a lot of wonder for Modo, I don't like it. Very crash prone and slow with lots of items or animation. And despite what TF has been saying, they seem unable to fix the stability issues on launch for some time.

So ... if LW starts improving again, that will put pressure on TF, Maxon (which lately has been very lazy with C4D development) and who knows, maybe even on Autodesk, since it's said that LWCAD is an amazing product for Archviz.

User avatar
Rork
Posts: 1265
Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 08:59
Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands

Re: Inside tech on the new LightWave

Post by Rork » 01 Oct 2015, 20:28

It's not just Modo atm, Nuke (Studio) can be added to that list as well X(
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ

User avatar
MauricioPC
Moderator
Posts: 1059
Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 13:39

Re: Inside tech on the new LightWave

Post by MauricioPC » 02 Oct 2015, 00:28

Rork wrote:It's not just Modo atm, Nuke (Studio) can be added to that list as well X(
Really? Didn't knew that. I actually never tried Nuke. I was ... but than BMD put Fusion free and that was that. :)

kiwimation
Posts: 53
Joined: 11 Jun 2009, 05:21

Re: Inside tech on the new LightWave

Post by kiwimation » 03 Oct 2015, 08:13

Here is the blog about lightwave and its new direction

https://blog.lightwave3d.com/2015/10/li ... hilosophy/

User avatar
MauricioPC
Moderator
Posts: 1059
Joined: 16 Sep 2013, 13:39

Re: Inside tech on the new LightWave

Post by MauricioPC » 03 Oct 2015, 21:44

kiwimation wrote:Here is the blog about lightwave and its new direction

https://blog.lightwave3d.com/2015/10/li ... hilosophy/
Thanks for sharing. A interesting read.

dirtydog
Posts: 69
Joined: 04 Aug 2009, 22:24
Location: motherwell scotland

Re: Inside tech on the new LightWave

Post by dirtydog » 02 Dec 2015, 15:26

Here is the latest update on the unified mesh engine based on Cronosculpt tech.

https://blog.lightwave3d.com/

NNois
Posts: 695
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 20:33

Re: Inside tech on the new LightWave

Post by NNois » 03 Dec 2015, 23:35

Be carefull, lightwave and newtek have a looong history of ubercool big cool words to promote a really big outdated tool. (but i have to admit lightwave is a production proven war machine ;-), just a not very cool one )

User avatar
FXDude
Posts: 923
Joined: 19 Jun 2012, 21:59

Re: Inside tech on the new LightWave

Post by FXDude » 04 Dec 2015, 02:24

Perhaps the unified mesh things marks the beginning of a unified Lightwave App, that would be cool. (perhaps finally moving away from their modeler/layout paradigm)

Lightwave has always been a pretty good innovator, (had some form of Sub-D before everyone, and much of their rendering tech has always been top notch including some of their recent volume effects endeavors) but was always stuck with some pretty bad architectural limitations, and it seems they are recognizing and taking steps to tackle that.

But your right, even the "unified mesh" is like a buzz-word meaning their totally separate modules have and will further have more in common, which is at least partly marketing hype. but good if not excellent for lightwave bringing it's base more on-par with the rest, then their subsequent innovations will likely have more kick!

*-:)

dirtydog
Posts: 69
Joined: 04 Aug 2009, 22:24
Location: motherwell scotland

Re: Inside tech on the new LightWave

Post by dirtydog » 04 Dec 2015, 22:11

FXDude wrote:Perhaps the unified mesh things marks the beginning of a unified Lightwave App, that would be cool. (perhaps finally moving away from their modeler/layout paradigm)

Lightwave has always been a pretty good innovator, (had some form of Sub-D before everyone, and much of their rendering tech has always been top notch including some of their recent volume effects endeavors) but was always stuck with some pretty bad architectural limitations, and it seems they are recognizing and taking steps to tackle that.

But your right, even the "unified mesh" is like a buzz-word meaning their totally separate modules have and will further have more in common, which is at least partly marketing hype. but good if not excellent for lightwave bringing it's base more on-par with the rest, then their subsequent innovations will likely have more kick!

*-:)
Newtek reckon it will take a few major releases to finally get a complete unified app. I believe this is the start of the final push on the core engine and the limitations and like you said it will be good for CG and possibly cost a lot less than current market leaders. All companies have market hype, but over the last two or three years Newtek have been working hard to get the app. running with latest tools and now hopefully a completely unified app with the new promised texturing, PBR, particle, geometry and rendering engine they can't be criticised like they were in the past, Newtek have moved on, so should some doubters.

User avatar
FXDude
Posts: 923
Joined: 19 Jun 2012, 21:59

Re: Inside tech on the new LightWave

Post by FXDude » 05 Dec 2015, 02:20

I personally somehow find Lightwave more approachable than Modo and appreciate more how they see things.

Otherwise XSI had it's own share of marketing hype, and like LW and others, at least a larger part of it was real or wasn't just exaggerations.

dirtydog
Posts: 69
Joined: 04 Aug 2009, 22:24
Location: motherwell scotland

Re: Inside tech on the new LightWave

Post by dirtydog » 06 Dec 2015, 16:54

FXDude wrote:I personally somehow find Lightwave more approachable than Modo and appreciate more how they see things.

Otherwise XSI had it's own share of marketing hype, and like LW and others, at least a larger part of it was real or wasn't just exaggerations.
The big problem with Lightwave is the sum total of these changes are over the next few years, and they could still be playing catch up with the market leaders. They really need to build a solid foundation for the future rather than just changes to the current version, as I think that's what Rob Powers was stating in the blog, hopefully its not just market hype.

dirtydog
Posts: 69
Joined: 04 Aug 2009, 22:24
Location: motherwell scotland

Re: Inside tech on the new LightWave

Post by dirtydog » 22 Jan 2016, 17:09

New blogs released on the new render engine with export buffer setup for Nuke, Fusion etc. and also buffers viewed in VPR.

https://blog.lightwave3d.com/2016/01/3d-and-2d-hand-in-hand/

https://blog.lightwave3d.com/2016/01/render-buffers/

dirtydog
Posts: 69
Joined: 04 Aug 2009, 22:24
Location: motherwell scotland

Re: Inside tech on the new LightWave

Post by dirtydog » 30 Mar 2016, 16:01

New blog on optimized performance released.

https://blog.lightwave3d.com/2016/03/upcoming-lightwave-performances/