Arnold for Cinema4D

Forum for users who have migrated or are migrating to Cinema 4D
SamHowell

Arnold for Cinema4D

Post by SamHowell » 04 Aug 2014, 13:20

I've got to admit I originally dismissed Cinema 4D as a serious replacement for our beloved Soft without giving it much of a chance.

Recently I have been peering over a colleagues shoulder as he learnt it and I saw some good stuff. The recent confirmation of this rumour (along with the Houdini plugin news) is making me reconsider my options.

http://www.maxon.net/en/news/press-rele ... graph.html

MauricioPC

Re: Arnold for Cinema4D

Post by MauricioPC » 04 Aug 2014, 14:16

Right now Maxon does have a good promotion: http://www.maxon.net/en/news/singleview ... uture.html

But R15 now and get an MSA for free for 1-year. And because of the MSA, you'll get R16 for free as well.

I'm looking forward to the R16 version. It's getting closer.

SamHowell

Post by SamHowell » 04 Aug 2014, 16:04

Thanks for the link. Are there any good new features with the next release?

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 04 Aug 2014, 16:22

Nobody knows (except people on Beta). But it appears that the newest version will pop up at Siggraph and this deal is until the end of August.

SamHowell

Post by SamHowell » 04 Aug 2014, 16:29

It's all a secret then, I wondered why I couldn't find anything. If they can just get some performance improvements with large object and poly counts I will be happy (and using Arnold will be worthwhile).

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 04 Aug 2014, 19:11

I'm with you on this. If they improve on the viewport than I'll happily use C4D instead of AD stuff.

http://www.c4dlive.com

Their host of presenters are really good. Tim Clapham is a beast, there's Aixsponza who has some great commercials with C4D.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 04 Aug 2014, 22:55

SamHowell wrote:Are there any good new features with the next release?
There are rumors, well just rumors, that they are working on shading system. If so, it's great news. At this point, c4d do not have a render pass system, or exactly, what's called with similar name, is a list of predefined AOVs. Material manager has a lot of limitations, only one UV per material, a lot of parameters are not texturable. And so on. Arnold connection, most likely, will bring the Arnold material, but when it comes to combining the things, hard to find the way.
That's optimistic - by looking on previous implementation, like built in Renderman connection, no hope, I'm afraid. This one has no support for RMan hair primitive, through the years. Shaders are just a plain emulation of about 15 years old shading 'model'. On top of bad story, I have feeling I'm only one who even thinking about this Rman thing in c4d . Zero info on internet...
By the way, if I'm correct, V-Ray is only third party renderer for c4d, having support for hair primitive, and that is only in one of latest versions.
So, maybe it better to wait for year when it become properly implemented.

Yader

Post by Yader » 05 Aug 2014, 09:08

Mathaeus wrote:That's optimistic - by looking on previous implementation, like built in Renderman connection, no hope, I'm afraid. This one has no support for RMan hair primitive, through the years. Shaders are just a plain emulation of about 15 years old shading 'model'. On top of bad story, I have feeling I'm only one who even thinking about this Rman thing in c4d . Zero info on internet...
By the way, if I'm correct, V-Ray is only third party renderer for c4d, having support for hair primitive, and that is only in one of latest versions.
So, maybe it better to wait for year when it become properly implemented.
You seem to be misinformed.
Octane for C4D supports natively Hair and Arnold will do too.
http://www.maxon.net/en/news/singleview ... graph.html
Take a good look at the first image.

Newcomer (<20 posts) alert: please use the URL tags - HB

SamHowell

Post by SamHowell » 05 Aug 2014, 10:37

There is also Thea Render:

http://www.thearender.com/cms/index.php ... ema4d.html

I'm pretty sure I saw some hair renders done with it.

Thanks for the information and links MauricioPC and Mathaeus. It's enough for me to know that there seems to be a desire to raise Cinema4D to a high end VFX level. The fact That Maxon approached Solid Angle for Arnold integration shows the direction they want to head in. This gives me more confidence that learning it will pay off in the future.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 05 Aug 2014, 13:17

Guys, sorry for a bit of nit picking - when I said 'hair' I meant something like 'hair primitive, created at render time, supported by deformation motion blur'. Thing that exists in Mental Ray from around 2002 or 2003. By looking at Octane docs, it seems they were added the mentioned feature in latest version ( of Octane), before month or so.
Arnold picture looks like half of described, but it's just a picture - anyway I believe it will be a real thing.

Regrading desire to raise Cinema4D to a high end VFX level, I'm afraid we really should wait and see, because of long 'tradition' of literally half or quarterly implemented features - but without hesitating to play with names - for small example, new 'physical' renderer, where only camera is 'physical' - while shaders are not, not even simple energy conservation in them. For small time comparison, in same time with this 'physical' C4d thing, Blender launched Cycles, having all modern stuff.

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 11 Feb 2015, 14:27

I friend posted this on facebook. Don't know where he find it. But 2h30 for a single frame is a lot, isn't it?

TheDutchOracle

Post by TheDutchOracle » 14 Feb 2015, 14:39

It depends.

I'm also a beta tester for Arnold in C4D. The progress is really impressive.
As with any render, rendering a still frame can make you to crank up some settings you would otherwise not do when rendering a animation.

Sometimes (as with any render) i set up a scene, and just crank up the settings to let it render overnight. Nothing to lose there. Just to make sure the render is noise free. (as long as you know what to crank up to get rid of the noise in the correct areas.)

But when rendering a animation i look at the noise level of every type of area like, reflection, light etc. it's a different process.
Amsterdam - Softimage 2013, "Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ICE".

Nox

Post by Nox » 14 Feb 2015, 18:42

Such render time is probably because of volume indirect which scatters GI inside volume smoke.

BTW, those settings are quite low.

TheDutchOracle

Post by TheDutchOracle » 14 Feb 2015, 19:12

This is a large picture for in a forum, only now i scrolled to the right to see the rest :)

These settings look indeed quite low at first glance, but there is no knowledge about the samples in the shaders and lights. (these can also make the difference between a heavy scene and a light scene). + they are the first things to crank up if needed. Furthermore, i have no knowledge about the CPU or hardware used in this case.

Another thing i'd like to learn is how rendering such a scene with heavy smoke would compare (relatively clean) with other render engines.
Amsterdam - Softimage 2013, "Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ICE".

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 18 Mar 2015, 14:33

Pingo overview of Arnold for C4D.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 18 Mar 2015, 16:30

On a vaguely related note (as it doesn't specifically concern the Cinema4D plugin): Will the "the minimum order of 5" restriction ever be lifted? Or will at least the statement "We will soon lift this restriction" be removed from the website, as the “soon” seems to have lost most of its meaning?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!