Cycles for Softimage

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Sycles 2.1.3Author: Shekn @si-community
V 2.1.3 released August 2023 —

This is a full integration of the Blender Cycles renderer into XSI. This update is a complete rewrite for the latest Cycles version from 2023 and has support for the following Softimage features (quoted from the download page):

Polygon meshes and hair geometry Texture coordinates Vertex colors Shaderball preview. For materials, shader nodes and texture nodes Basic limited support of the following buil-in Softimage shader nodes: Phong, Lambert, Hair Shading, Image, converters between vector, color and scalar Ambience global environment light Limited support of built-in Softimage light sources Model instances ICE strands geometry ICE poitcloud instances ICE geometry attributes (vector, color and scalar) with context per-point and per-object Volume rendering. In particular supports emFluid, Explosia FX and openVDB for Softimage volumes Special VDB Primitive for rendering vdbs without ICE Output multilayered exr file with all rendered passe Rendermaps

The following features from Cycles itself are supported: CPU and GPU rendering. In particular multidevices are supported. This allows to use cpu and gpu simultaneously. Note: This distribution does not contains libraries for gpu rendering. You can download it from here. Unpack the archive and place lib folder to the /Sycles_2_1_2/Application/Plugins/ folder near the file config.ini All Cycles shader nodes OSL shaders OpenColorIO profiles (Blender profile included) All Cycles output passes (Combined, Depth, Normal and so on) Color and value shader AOVs Lightgroups Cycles camera properties, in particular all panorama modes Cycles light sources Denoising by using Open Image Denoise and OptiX denoiser

For more information, full documentation and a list of the available Cycles nodes see the download page linked below. There is no local backup because the addon is still frequently updated - the plugin can be downloaded on Shekn's github releases. The source code is available on github there well.

News concerning 3D DCC business
FXDude

Re: Cycles for Softimage

Post by FXDude » 29 Mar 2019, 01:03

Hi,

First just to say wow! and thanks for these great ICE enhacements! And I will definitely be trying some of them!

And I also wanted to post a preliminary pic of the classic classroom.

This is with the denoiser which I'm attempting to get a denoising process working with it
     ( or in this case -> deblotching process of the pre-denoized out )

Otherwise render is very quick! (quicker than I remember!)

this (currently blotchy) image was a minute long to render,

I also found Bumpmaps to easily look very good and fine at any distance.

1- I am having some systematic crashing as soon as the first frame finishes rendering
when specifying more than one aov's in exr format (for me is currently the biggest roadblock)

all ouput AOV's have to be all png out (and therefore clamped) ,
and maybe the main beauty would allow full depth EXR's wiuthout crashing

( I also didn't test yest with the latest build )

Anyhoo, thanks again & cheers!
~o)

Last edited by FXDude on 29 Mar 2019, 01:34, edited 1 time in total.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 29 Mar 2019, 01:06

wireframex wrote: 15 Feb 2019, 10:10
sirdavid32 wrote: 15 Feb 2019, 08:10 I mentioned you should attach at least 1 example for each node so newbies could get accostumed to what the shader does.
Cheers.
Maybe these links can be usefull :

https://store.blender.org/product/cycles-encyclopedia/
https://www.blenderguru.com/articles/cy ... cyclopedia

Cheers
PS: If using Sycles and havent done so yet, you might want to download the documentation (pdf) on his site.

Which I found to be not only helpful, but quite essential for quick 'to the point' examples of how to get things working!

https://ssoftadd.github.io/syclesPage.html

*-:)

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 29 Mar 2019, 04:30

To post an a bit nicer pic (also with native denoiser)
more densely sampled at 512 wich took 12 minutes at 1080p

(Very little is textures yet, just a ref for debloching)

MKXSI

Post by MKXSI » 29 Mar 2019, 10:10

Shekn wrote: 05 Oct 2017, 20:12 Next update 1.4. Download here: https://ssoftadd.github.io/download/Sycles_1.4.xsiaddon

What's New:
1. Compiled with the version of Cycles from Blender 2.79. In particular, some render parameters have been added (and some have been removed). In most cases this is technical parameters.
2. Added denoising feature and Shadow Catcher property to polygonmesh object.
3. Standard XSI-hairs render support.
4. GPU rendering. The device for rendering can be specified on the Performance - Additional Settings - Device of the render parameters.
5. Two new tutorials on the manual (23 and 24) about how to render standard XSI-hairs and how to use Ray Visibility.

For testing GPU-rendering I used Nvidia card. I don't know how it will work on Radeon. So, if somebody can test Radeon - it will be great. But there are no guarantee that everything will be fine.
Dosent Recognize AMD Radeon RX VEGA 64. I can see it in the render options but doesnt render. when checked as renderer

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 29 Mar 2019, 18:12

FXDude, I test, and there are no any crashes with rendering and saving several *.exr output channels. Please, make a screen with setup of your output parameters: names of channels, output paths, may be frame resolution. Did you turn on/off parameter Output - Multi-Layer EXR - Combine Render Passes to Single EXR in the render properties?

About non-proper meshes. Please, send me an example object. In obj-format, for example. I will try to understand what you mean and why it happens. It is possible, that the problem not in Sycles, but on Softimage . How it understands input geometry.

MKXSI, does you use the latest version of the Sycles? May be it turns working after version 1.4. But in any case, there is one big problem, why I can't promise anything about Radeon gpu-s - all computers which I can use for tests have Nvidia graphic cards. So, it is hard to find the reason why something does not works.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 30 Mar 2019, 21:22

Shekn wrote: 29 Mar 2019, 18:12 It is possible, that the problem not in Sycles, but on Softimage . How it understands input geometry.
Indeed, and it may also be something up with this mesh.

here is a link to the scene I've been using,

ClassRoom_Sycles_v16.scn

You can try setting one or several AOV outputs to EXR,
here the crashing happens upon writing of the EXR's after the first rendered frame of a sequence (no error messages that I could see),

for the poly issue, at the root is the walls mesh, and if you remove it's triangulation operator, here the mesh tesselation gets mangled in the render,
and similarly, if you 'filter polygons' at an angle of 3 (to untriangulate) any item, tesselation also is affected.

I'm also going to try with the latest build, currently using v1.74

Thanks & cheers, and let me know if there's other elements you need!

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 31 Mar 2019, 13:07

Thank you for your scene. Now I see the bug with rendering of non-convex polygons. Also the Softimage crushed when you try to save exr-files into fiolder, which is not exist. I will fix it. If you create folder for files before rendering, then all be ok.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 31 Mar 2019, 19:13

Hi, indeed it was the folder creation that it didn't like, by removing the tokens and specifying explicit paths, the render went smoothly!

so thanks, and also great to know it can be adressed on your side!

3:-O

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 01 Apr 2019, 20:07

Small fix update 1.7.7. Download here: https://ssoftadd.github.io/download/Syc ... 7.xsiaddon

Or simply dll-file from here: https://mega.nz/#!VhICiILQ!TOUH78pLYdVN ... N6UKMaCoOA

Fix only to bugs:
1. Correct render of non-convex polygons
2. Create folders for saving output render images, if these folders are not created before.

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 01 Apr 2019, 20:30

Thanks a Lot Shekn :)
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 02 Apr 2019, 06:45

Hi!

So all concave while untriangulated/cleaned mesh tessalation seem to resolve correctly,
and arbitrary tokens in AOV output paths seem fully stable!

And talk about fast fixes  Lol!   :ymsmug:

:-bd :ymapplause:

Clipboard2.jpg

Thank you, and nice work!

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 03 Apr 2019, 18:46

Hey Shekn

Could you tell me me if Cycles works with RTX graphic cards like 2080 ti ?

Regards
Phil

Shekn

Post by Shekn » 04 Apr 2019, 13:07

No by two reasons. The first - Cycles is not officially support it yet, but Blender team working about it. The second - for using it inside Softimage, *.cubin files should be recompiled for supporting this type of GPU.

Daniel Brassard

Post by Daniel Brassard » 04 Apr 2019, 16:42

To complement Shekn response,

The current Cycles will work on a GeForce RTX graphic card but will not use the new RTX realtime ray tracing platform. For that, we will have to wait for the Cycles team to catch up. The Cycles team will need to use the new SDK to program specific instructions that will unlock the RTX platform to Cycles.

I get the same issues between OptiX 5.1(pre-RTX) and Optix 6 (with RTX).

Microsoft also announced DirectX 12 DXR at GDC2019 which will accelerate raytracing on native RTX GPU and provide raytracing to older GTX and AMD GPUs.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/ ... aytracing/
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/ne ... ming-soon/

NVidia tutorials part 1 & 2 can be found here:

https://developer.nvidia.com/rtx/raytra ... ial-Part-1

There is also an important property brought by the adoption of the NVlink that was not there before, the use of the GPU memory. Before NVLink, users with multiple GPU cards were limited by their single cards memory and rendering on GPU was limited to the single card setup (no memory adding). With NVLink, the memory of RTX GPU get added up increasing the amount of memory available to the GPU raytracer.

Interesting time.
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 04 Apr 2019, 18:37

Daniel Brassard wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 16:42 There is also an important property brought by the adoption of the NVlink that was not there before, the use of the GPU memory. Before NVLink, users with multiple GPU cards were limited by their single cards memory and rendering on GPU was limited to the single card setup (no memory adding). With NVLink, the memory of RTX GPU get added up increasing the amount of memory available to the GPU raytracer.
That's why I'm very interested by this amount of VRAM ;)

2 RTX 2080 ti --> 22 Go VRAM but just a little power less :-bd

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 04 Apr 2019, 22:13

Shekn wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 13:07 No by two reasons. The first - Cycles is not officially support it yet, but Blender team working about it. The second - for using it inside Softimage, *.cubin files should be recompiled for supporting this type of GPU.
Hope it will be done soon :)