Another 3dsmax sneak peak

News concerning 3D DCC business
Bullit

Another 3dsmax sneak peak

Post by Bullit » 05 Mar 2013, 11:53

I guess they don't like to be at other's level...

Project Gepeto

So there will be another for Soft?

Second Video

Last edited by Bullit on 05 Mar 2013, 21:11, edited 2 times in total.

Lord Futzi Voldemort

Re: Another 3dsmax sneak peak

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 05 Mar 2013, 12:48

Wouldn´t be this tech by any chance?
http://www.axyz-design.com/anima/
I'm now part of an endangered species...

Maximus

Post by Maximus » 05 Mar 2013, 12:57

This should be the old long awaited "Project Geppetto" afaik.
Pretty neat and fast to work with apparently, couldnt say that about CrowdFx.

oz42

Post by oz42 » 05 Mar 2013, 12:59

I know Soft can do ICE Crowds and I'm not a huge fan of Max but I am loving the simplicity of this!

Superpositivo

Post by Superpositivo » 05 Mar 2013, 14:13

Nothing to say.
Just great.
Straight to the point with right what one needs to do easy and extremely useful crowds.
Maybe it will not have all the controls (maybe, because we don't know) like at a low level in ICE, but I already love it. Too bad it's in 3DMax. though. :)

oz42

Post by oz42 » 05 Mar 2013, 14:25

What we need is someone more intelligent than me (not hard!) to write an addon that uses ICE Crowds under the hood but shows this level of simplicity to the user. :ympray:

csaez

Post by csaez » 05 Mar 2013, 14:40

If you only need a bunch of predefined pedestrian walking out there Geppetto definitely should do the trick, seems like a nice archviz solution :)

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 05 Mar 2013, 15:52

This is where ICE completely fails. If it was done as building blocks it could have been easier and at same time complex but it is just disjointed.

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 05 Mar 2013, 18:17

csaez wrote:If you only need a bunch of predefined pedestrian walking out there Geppetto definitely should do the trick, seems like a nice archviz solution :)
And I think thats the key thing to remember here. Whilst it's easy to compare this to CrowdFX, or our games middleware offerings, they're not really the same. Geppetto is a simple solution, that appears to be aimed at a market that Max is very strong in. These guys aren't often TDs and they don't need vast pipelines either. They want something that's functional and that they can easily use to get things going. It's not really something for games/film guys, who are doing more complex work and who often want to tap into API's and expose features, etc.
CrowdFX is actually, probably. alot better, but it does lack the ease of use that Geppetto has, though I'm not waving the finger at the devs here. Geppetto has had more people on it and it kicked around on Autodesk Labs for some time as well, so it's obviously going to look more polished.

Paulrus

Post by Paulrus » 05 Mar 2013, 18:18

I'm waiting for Paul Smith to take his zombie setup and tweak it until it's better than this!

It's cool, but I'm guessing it's doable in ICE/CrowdFX.

-Paul

nuverian

Post by nuverian » 05 Mar 2013, 18:34

Bellsey wrote:
csaez wrote:If you only need a bunch of predefined pedestrian walking out there Geppetto definitely should do the trick, seems like a nice archviz solution :)
.....These guys aren't often TDs and they don't need vast pipelines either. They want something that's functional and that they can easily use to get things going......
Exactly my words on all rants I've done so far in this forum about softimage. Why? Why should SI be only for TDs. Why me and others as an artist that has some technical skills though (and the reason to choose SI) not wanting to be "something thats functional and easy to get going"? Why should I everytime dig in nodes instead of having those things be done with a more interactive tool (per the subject) and IF i want to dig further. IF, not SHOULD.
Portfolio / Blog
http://www.nuverian.net

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 05 Mar 2013, 19:00

I have no problem with nodes. But they need to make sense and not hit some context idiocy every time. Users should only need a node/attribute called lets say "polygon operations" to make every operation at polygon level.
Context issues are a waste of time , money and brain power that instead should be used creatively.

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 05 Mar 2013, 19:24

nuverian wrote:
Bellsey wrote:
.....These guys aren't often TDs and they don't need vast pipelines either. They want something that's functional and that they can easily use to get things going......
Exactly my words on all rants I've done so far in this forum about softimage. Why? Why should SI be only for TDs. Why me and others as an artist that has some technical skills though (and the reason to choose SI) not wanting to be "something thats functional and easy to get going"? Why should I everytime dig in nodes instead of having those things be done with a more interactive tool (per the subject) and IF i want to dig further. IF, not SHOULD.
I never said that Softimage or CrowdFX should only be for TDs. Ideally you want a balance, but unfortunately CrowdFX doesn't have that yet.

luceric

Post by luceric » 05 Mar 2013, 19:49

the max crowd stuff has a long history. it's not necessarily limited to visualization, it's just easier to sell it that way, and it puts the focus on drag and drop user interface. the goal of the project is high quality motion synthesis from motion capture source. The people behind character studio are behind it. CrowdFX is only doing basic interpolation for motion blending, there is no deep (university-level) brainy research behind it. it's the work of a TD, there is not a lot of C++ code behind it.
Last edited by luceric on 05 Mar 2013, 21:13, edited 1 time in total.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 05 Mar 2013, 21:12

I posted a second video in first post.

ace63

Post by ace63 » 06 Mar 2013, 14:06

3ds max guys are already complaining about crowd stuff being useless - I have a flashback to Soft 2013 ;)