Going Modo?

Discussions about migration to other software
julius

Re: Going Modo?

Post by julius » 20 Mar 2014, 16:08

Before making a choice, I think we should wait for the 801 release of Modo wich could happen shortly.
Each release were really impressive, and we may have some good surprises.

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 20 Mar 2014, 17:30

Nox wrote:Yeah, great work of some unknown designer.
Just got a tweet back from Brad

it was generally a group effort but led by Allen Hastings.

There you go.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 20 Mar 2014, 20:12

julius wrote:Each release were really impressive, and we may have some good surprises.
mmmh Sorry to say this but not at all since 701. I didnt upgrade from 601 because of stability problems, shading/texturing system workflow ... there is a lot of work before to be closed to Softimage x_x
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory

amitr

Post by amitr » 20 Mar 2014, 20:50

wireframex wrote:
julius wrote:Each release were really impressive, and we may have some good surprises.
mmmh Sorry to say this but not at all since 701. I didnt upgrade from 601 because of stability problems, shading/texturing system workflow ... there is a lot of work before to be closed to Softimage x_x
not true my friend

In terms of modeling, texturing, rendering, Modo is much better then SI.

Can you start a mesh in XSI, sculpt it using symmetrcal, then retopology the result for animation ?
no, you can't, you will have to use edge extrude and slow polygon modeling process.

sorry, but you really wrong about "there is a lot of work before to be closed to Softimage".
Softimatge have better layers, passes, Groups in interaction with those 2... references models and stuff like that.

but in the actual creation process its old and out of date. compare to modo.

and the fact modo renderer is 5 times faster and easy then MR, when start using GI, area shadows and tranparent materials.

wireframex

Post by wireframex » 20 Mar 2014, 21:07

I do not want to argue here but you forget too many things about the capabilities of Softimage Vs modo 8-|

The fact modo crashes so often is already the best thing I stop using it when C4D and SI don't.

EDIT : Agree about MR but others render are available ...
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory

forton

Post by forton » 21 Mar 2014, 01:40

amitr, are you sure you know what you are talking about?

I agree if someone says softimage is not for everyone, but telling modo is better is just....
Really, don't try to compare!
Some scene I made, with a little bit of help from emtopolizer (I'm a bit proud yes, I'm getting the hang of it).
Change 1 parameter, voila, new version of tree, UV mapped and everything, not one line of script (lot's of ice though).
For sculpting I use z-brush (like alot of modo users do)
tree_A.jpg
tree_B.jpg
I know people who use modo for rendering only, so the renderer must be not too bad

forton

Post by forton » 21 Mar 2014, 01:50

And not to forget: Softimatge have better layers, passes, Groups in interaction with those 2... references models and stuff like that.

amitr

Post by amitr » 21 Mar 2014, 06:28

[quote="forton"]amitr, are you sure you know what you are talking about?

I agree if someone says softimage is not for everyone, but telling modo is better is just....
Really, don't try to compare!
Some scene I made, with a little bit of help from emtopolizer (I'm a bit proud yes, I'm getting the hang of it).
Change 1 parameter, voila, new version of tree, UV mapped and everything, not one line of script (lot's of ice though).
For sculpting I use z-brush (like alot of modo users do)
tree_A.jpg
tree_B.jpg
So for that one time i will use something complex like that i will open some tree generator...
but for the everyday use of sculpting, 3d painting and fast rendering Softimage is still naked.

julius

Post by julius » 21 Mar 2014, 09:09

I understand what you're all saying, but the question is not to know if Modo is better than Softimage, but is modo a better replacement tool than max or maya, keeping in mind that giving more money to autodesk would be very frustrating (for me at least).

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 21 Mar 2014, 09:32

Its worth noting that one of Erics plugins is available for modo (emReader) whether that will be increased to any of the other plugins I have no idea
--
Wits University

forton

Post by forton » 21 Mar 2014, 09:45

amitr,

So we have better layers, passes, Groups in interaction with those 2... references models and also now trees... :)
Si has much more tricks under it's sleeve, check rray.de, softimage.tv.

Like you said, use the best tool for the job, I use arnold for rendering, you use some tree plugin for modeling trees, don't compare the two, this is si-community, first check what softimage is and can do, check about non destructive workflows, rigging etc. and than come back and tell me about the old creation process.

See what you did, now you made me into a fanboy ;)
Last edited by forton on 21 Mar 2014, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.

forton

Post by forton » 21 Mar 2014, 09:57

angus_davidson wrote:Its worth noting that one of Erics plugins is available for modo (emReader) whether that will be increased to any of the other plugins I have no idea
Yes, we can make trees in soft and render them in modo!

I think he's working on polygonizer, for maya but I think for modo too.
Most of his plugins are very ice related, so it will be difficult to port.

amitr

Post by amitr » 21 Mar 2014, 16:32

forton wrote:amitr,

So we have better layers, passes, Groups in interaction with those 2... references models and also now trees... :)
Si has much more tricks under it's sleeve, check rray.de, softimage.tv.

Like you said, use the best tool for the job, I use arnold for rendering, you use some tree plugin for modeling trees, don't compare the two, this is si-community, first check what softimage is and can do, check about non destructive workflows, rigging etc. and than come back and tell me about the old creation process.

See what you did, now you made me into a fanboy ;)
Before i start this reply, just know that i learn lightwave 3 years, XSI 8 years, maya a year, max a year and modo 9 months.

I was Si fanboy at the past but i had the right reasons, now, 2014, even blender seems better ***for single artist***
I used XSI 8 yeras, I know its under the hood power, I was following blogs of si, learn it deeply. i know its a very deep programm. there is no disagree that SI have ability to preduce better VFX than modo, i disagree that SI is better for artist than modo.
Btw some complex ice nodes are just tools you can use in modo, like built in modo's scatter and stuff artist just need so they presented in the shape of tools.

if you own a studio go with a stupid tool that have every possible plugin solution, that will be 3ds max / maya . or Si that back you up with ice that sometime dont fit in deadline.

with the difference of price between modo and SI you can buy important plugins for modo that make it far better for artists, like NPR render kit, ACS auto rig kit which is the most artistic friendly, go copy that rig in SI tools it will be td process i prefer to shoot my self... you have mesh fuision plug in for modo for hard surface stuff.. try create that stuff with XSI modelling toolset good luck. and all those plug ins + modo will still be cheaper than SI. and you will need to buy Vray or arnold for SI because Mental is not good for single artist.

this discussion is actualy what a better replacement for SI.
with 3600usd that is the price of maya / max, you buy modo, all its plugins and kits. you buy MD3 for cloths which is fu**** great for any cloth, far better than other stuff like syflex / Ncloths / any other.

if people want i can upload a video that explain the really cool stuff about modo. like drag and drop the alpha buffer into a material to have its alpha in render, simple as that. go do that maya's hypershade.... yeah right .... open that 2 section maya buffer / pass scary window start adding stuff from a large list like its 1998... good luck.

forton

Post by forton » 21 Mar 2014, 17:25

Fair enough, I'm not saying softimage is better or anything, just impossible to compare.
I made my point.

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 21 Mar 2014, 18:01

Just received a e-mail from the Foundry. Since Nuke 8 is out, maybe it's Modo 801? On NAB? Maybe some mograph stuff? I'm curious right now.
EXCLUSIVE ANNOUNCEMENT

Monday 7th April

6:05pm - 6:50pm PST

We will be sharing some exciting news. Don’t miss out. Sign up to our LIVE stream direct from the show floor when all will be revealed.
http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/events/nab-2014/#lineup

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 21 Mar 2014, 18:06

Just got the same email ;)
--
Wits University