Discussions about migration to other software
Eugen

Re: Going Modo?

Post by Eugen » 14 Mar 2014, 13:51

Just in case this went unnoticed (and keep this thread going on a bit):

VRay for Modo:
http://forums.chaosgroup.com/showthread ... y-for-Modo
http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/discu ... 32&t=82987
Vlado mentions ETA of a couple of months.

A Redshift port is yet to be decided.

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 14 Mar 2014, 13:57

Damn .. is it just me or Modo interface is very pretty?

You can or can't like the way Modo works, but the interface is really cool.

Nox

Post by Nox » 14 Mar 2014, 15:04

Yeah, great work of some unknown designer.

Pancho

Post by Pancho » 17 Mar 2014, 00:06

I use Modo since version 301. It improved quit a lot. But it is far from being a replacement for SI. Not in the next 5 years (my guess), if ever.

Just needed to correct some shapes with the paint tools. Horrible stuff to sculpt with these tools. Unreliable and quite slow. And the smooth function rather collapses the mesh than smooths the surface details. Compared to Sculptris this is a joke. Also you need to undo each paint stroke twice. I guess one is for drawing, the other for smoothing.

As much as I like Modo, it simply isn't it yet. Especially if you want to work with large scenes, it becomes messy. The structure of the scene then is hard to handle. Especially the textures in their layered way and the endless scrolling list still feel like an amateur system. So far the nodal texturing system in LW made the best impression here (best procedurals ever), though it lacks some functionality you get in SI.

Nizar

Post by Nizar » 17 Mar 2014, 10:32

and don't forget the overcomplicated snapping system...

Eugen

Post by Eugen » 17 Mar 2014, 10:40

So from what I've collected so far, it's a mixed bag. There seems to be a lot on the good side, but also some half-baked stuff.

The question is - will it be a good investment, if you start learning it anyway?
What counts a lot here is the community, the spirit, the rate of development, 'listening to the userbase'.
Those point seem to be high above average.

A comparison sheet with all the 3d apps in question would come in handy now...

Eugen

Post by Eugen » 17 Mar 2014, 10:46

Another thing:
Does anyone know if Modo has a temporary/working pivot comparable to that of Softimage - which was nothing but perfect?

Pancho

Post by Pancho » 17 Mar 2014, 10:55

Even if they listen to their userbase, the userbase might differ with their needs from yours. Modo still feels like being inbetween the gap of professional and amateur apps. Currently it is "another" LW, though the modeler is so much better.

I asked them years aho for a nodal texturing approach and mentioned of old school the layered system feels. That was three versions ago. There's obviously no interest to go this way, because most of their users can't bend their heads about a nodal approach. They like it easy.

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 17 Mar 2014, 11:14

Well a sudden influx of Softimage users might start changing that. Ex AD subscription money might even fund a module for that. I am not a great fan of the PS layering approach in Modo. Thats not to say in 2 years time that will be the only way to do it. You can use substance designer in Modo , and once you add Substance painter to that this might very well be a moot discussion ;)
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

satyajit

Post by satyajit » 18 Mar 2014, 11:47

Eugen wrote:Another thing:
Does anyone know if Modo has a temporary/working pivot comparable to that of Softimage - which was nothing but perfect?
Yes, it has, the Action Center>Automatic does that. Actually Modo has more(better?) options regarding pivot centers. Can be confusing sometimes (pivots vs action center).

I'm using Modo and SI parallely from year 2012. I must say, I model more in Modo than SI nowadays. Not only modeling, UV, texturing and Rendering. Modo, generally is a far weaker software than SI, but continious attention by its developers made a place for it. And SI, being a beast compared to Modo, is a victim of negligence.

Eugen

Post by Eugen » 18 Mar 2014, 12:05

satyajit wrote:
Yes, it has, the Action Center>Automatic does that. Actually Modo has more(better?) options regarding pivot centers. Can be confusing sometimes (pivots vs action center).

I'm using Modo and SI parallely from year 2012. I must say, I model more in Modo than SI nowadays. Not only modeling, UV, texturing and Rendering. Modo, generally is a far weaker software than SI, but continious attention by its developers made a place for it. And SI, being a beast compared to Modo, is a victim of negligence.
Ok, thanks!

I think this 1h video has been posted before, but for those interested, here it is again:
http://vimeo.com/68862342

Some impressive stuff in there, and many nice little things. They also have this VRay-like 'render painting' - rendering focuses on the mouse cursor.

El Burritoh

Post by El Burritoh » 18 Mar 2014, 15:37

Eugen wrote:They also have this VRay-like 'render painting'
.... or is it the other way around, maybe? ;-)
-Tim Crowson
High Nerd, of the Order of Magnetic Nerds
Personal Website

Eugen

Post by Eugen » 18 Mar 2014, 15:48

I don't know, maybe - do you?
Anyway, VRay for Modo's coming, too.

El Burritoh

Post by El Burritoh » 18 Mar 2014, 15:49

Haha... I really don't know, mainly because I don't know when V-ray got that. Modo has had it for years now. Since 401 maybe?
-Tim Crowson
High Nerd, of the Order of Magnetic Nerds
Personal Website

amitr

Post by amitr » 18 Mar 2014, 20:10

Pancho wrote:Even if they listen to their userbase, the userbase might differ with their needs from yours. Modo still feels like being inbetween the gap of professional and amateur apps. Currently it is "another" LW, though the modeler is so much better.

I asked them years aho for a nodal texturing approach and mentioned of old school the layered system feels. That was three versions ago. There's obviously no interest to go this way, because most of their users can't bend their heads about a nodal approach. They like it easy.
And what so great about "node base texturing"
For most cases the old school layer approch is 2 times faster at least.

"another lw"? dude, Modo in light years more advence in terms of interface.
you dont have sculpting tools in XSI and you talk about node base ....

node base is usless compare to other more importent things XSI is missing like 3d paint and sculpting.

8 years XSI user here.

satyajit

Post by satyajit » 19 Mar 2014, 12:35

Eugen wrote:
satyajit wrote:

Ok, thanks!

I think this 1h video has been posted before, but for those interested, here it is again:
http://vimeo.com/68862342

Some impressive stuff in there, and many nice little things. They also have this VRay-like 'render painting' - rendering focuses on the mouse cursor.

One thing I'd like to add. In my works, whenever Modo created some problem... XSI was there to save the day. Now that it won't be there, I just don't feel that level of confidence going with Modo alone.