It is currently 17 Aug 2017, 19:17

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: PlayblastVR Renderer for Softimage Released
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2015, 17:17 
Offline

Joined: 04 Mar 2014, 15:40
Posts: 12
Location: West Dover, Nova Scotia, Canada
Image

Dover Studios co-founder Andrew Hazelden has released PlayblastVR for Softimage.

PlayblastVR is a new renderer for Softimage that creates hardware rendered panoramic 360 degree images using OpenGL. The PlayblastVR renderer allows you to create immersive previz renderings of Softimage scenes in LatLong, fulldome, cylindrical, and cubic panorama formats.

PlayblastVR supports panoramic rendering output directly to YouTube 360 and Facebook 360 format movies with automatic metadata embedding, and to Google Photosphere spherical panoramas.

PlayblastVR can render Softimage scene elements such as animated polygon and NURBS geometry, lights, ICE, hair and fur, cloth sims, and procedurally generated shading networks.

After a PlayblastVR panoramic batch sequence rendering is complete it can be sent to an Oculus Rift or viewed using a video playback tool like DJV Viewer, Adobe SpeedGrade, Amateras Dome Player, Assimilate Scratch and Scratch Player, Kolor Eyes, Whirligig, VLC, VLCwarp Player, RV, Live View Rift, and the Softimage Flipbook.

PlayblastVR previz renderings will save you time and money because hardware based panoramic renderings make better use of the artist’s time. Using PlayblastVR will also free up your render nodes from having to use a slower software based production renderer to output your animation test renderings into a panoramic format.

Max Crow, Creative Supervisor at NSC Creative in the UK had this to say about the toolset: "I can assure you PlayblastVR is the VR tool for Softimage you have always wanted!"

Pricing and Availability
The PlayblastVR for Softimage renderer is available today starting at $249 USD.

For more information check out:
http://www.andrewhazelden.com/blog/downloads/playblastvr-for-softimage/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PlayblastVR Renderer for Softimage Released
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2015, 18:37 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 15:51
Posts: 1302
Location: Bonn, Germany
Congratulations on this fine release and thank you for continued support of Softimage!

_________________
Image rray.de, a resource site for softimage, updated Oct 15th 2016


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: PlayblastVR v1.4 for Softimage Released
PostPosted: 12 Nov 2016, 13:40 
Offline

Joined: 04 Mar 2014, 15:40
Posts: 12
Location: West Dover, Nova Scotia, Canada
PlayblastVR v1.4 for Softimage has been released today and is available as a free update for existing customers. :ymparty:

PlayblastVR V1.4 Changes:
  • PanoView support for GoPro VR Player, and QuickTime Player
  • PanoView updated Amateras and Kolor Eyes executable paths
  • Automatic XSI Project “Render_Pictures” and “Composites” folder creation during rendering
  • New “Roller_Coaster_Project” example scene (Softimage 2015)

Attachment:
File comment: PlayblastVR for Softimage Roller Coaster Project
PlayblastVR-for-Softimage-Roller-Coaster-smaller.jpg
PlayblastVR-for-Softimage-Roller-Coaster-smaller.jpg [ 243.38 KiB | Viewed 952 times ]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PlayblastVR v1.4 for Softimage Released
PostPosted: 12 Nov 2016, 20:02 
Offline

Joined: 30 Jul 2016, 18:18
Posts: 54
AndrewHazelden wrote:
PlayblastVR v1.4 for Softimage has been released today and is available as a free update for existing customers. :ymparty:

PlayblastVR V1.4 Changes:
  • PanoView support for GoPro VR Player, and QuickTime Player
  • PanoView updated Amateras and Kolor Eyes executable paths
  • Automatic XSI Project “Render_Pictures” and “Composites” folder creation during rendering
  • New “Roller_Coaster_Project” example scene (Softimage 2015)

Attachment:
PlayblastVR-for-Softimage-Roller-Coaster-smaller.jpg


Can you explain the benefits of your approach over doing previz in UnrealEngine (or Unity)? I get that UnrealEngine involves a little technical knowledge too but the quality achievable via a PBR workflow is far superior to GL renders from Softimage. Plus the UE assets used in Previz might form a base for final production shots. At the end of the day, if you're in the business of creating VR assets, you're likely to have a reasonable level of technical expertise.

This isn't intended as negative criticism I just want to know what I'm missing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PlayblastVR v1.4 for Softimage Released
PostPosted: 12 Nov 2016, 21:33 
Offline

Joined: 04 Mar 2014, 15:40
Posts: 12
Location: West Dover, Nova Scotia, Canada
jonmoore wrote:
Can you explain the benefits of your approach over doing previz in UnrealEngine (or Unity)? I get that UnrealEngine involves a little technical knowledge too but the quality achievable via a PBR workflow is far superior to GL renders from Softimage. Plus the UE assets used in Previz might form a base for final production shots. At the end of the day, if you're in the business of creating VR assets, you're likely to have a reasonable level of technical expertise.

This isn't intended as negative criticism I just want to know what I'm missing.


Hi Jon.

That's a good question.

This toolset is aimed primarily at people who are working in a pre-rendered cinematic VR based production environment where the final output for the project would be a raytraced LatLong/Equirectangular/Spherical 360° movie or an angular fisheye 180° "domemaster" formatted planetarium show that is rendered using a traditional production renderer and a lens shader like Domemaster3D or Arnold's lens shaders.

In this environment the Softimage based artists are not targeting a realtime VR "game" like experience so using Unity or Unreal Engine would be something of a distraction, and add the need to have programmers on hand, along with an extra scene translation stage for every revision you make in your Softimage scene.

PlayblastVR is handy as it is simply an easy to use pre-viz renderer that gives you a panoramic viewport capture style output from Softimage that works nicely with all of the existing lights, textures, models, dynamics, and ICE elements in your existing Softimage scene. PlayblastVR can render right to a YouTube 360 / Facebook 360 compatible MP4 movie that has the required spatial media metadata embedded automatically.

PlayblastVR also has a "PanoView" module that lets you push your most recent renderings to your favorite panoramic 360° media viewer tools like GoPro VR Player, Kolor Eyes, Whirigig, Amateras Player, or RV player so you can see the latest revisions on your Oculus Rift or HTC Vive HMD.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PlayblastVR Renderer for Softimage Released
PostPosted: 12 Nov 2016, 21:43 
Offline

Joined: 30 Jul 2016, 18:18
Posts: 54
Thanks for your reply.

Most VR projects I'm involved with fall into two primary camps. Those facilitated by game engines with a relatively open world, and those based on shot footage manipulated in Nuke. Very little is based on rendered sequences as the cost can be prohibitive based on the the budgets clients are willing to pay.

It's good to know your product exists and you continue to support XSI based studios.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PlayblastVR Renderer for Softimage Released
PostPosted: 17 Nov 2016, 23:46 
Offline

Joined: 17 Mar 2013, 00:15
Posts: 39
Location: Montreal
It is cool to be able to pre-vis a scene in VR but how this will be final rendered? Do you have a plan to provide lens shaders for outputting equivalent results from Mental Ray or Arnold?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PlayblastVR Renderer for Softimage Released
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2016, 00:01 
Offline

Joined: 04 Mar 2014, 15:40
Posts: 12
Location: West Dover, Nova Scotia, Canada
homam wrote:
It is cool to be able to pre-vis a scene in VR but how this will be final rendered? Do you have a plan to provide lens shaders for outputting equivalent results from Mental Ray or Arnold?


Hi Homam. I've already done that. :)

I created the Domemaster3D lens shader port for Softimage that works with mental ray and SItoA Arnold.

You can take an existing Softimage scene that was built and textured for rendering with a fulldome or LatLong lens shader in mental ray or Arnold, and PlayblastVR for Softimage is able to give you a matching equirectangular/fisheye previz version of your Softimage scene.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PlayblastVR Renderer for Softimage Released
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2016, 00:39 
Offline

Joined: 30 Jul 2016, 18:18
Posts: 54
AndrewHazelden wrote:
homam wrote:
It is cool to be able to pre-vis a scene in VR but how this will be final rendered? Do you have a plan to provide lens shaders for outputting equivalent results from Mental Ray or Arnold?


Hi Homam. I've already done that. :)

I created the Domemaster3D lens shader port for Softimage that works with mental ray and SItoA Arnold.

You can take an existing Softimage scene that was built and textured for rendering with a fulldome or LatLong lens shader in mental ray or Arnold, and PlayblastVR for Softimage is able to give you a matching equirectangular/fisheye previz version of your Softimage scene.


It would be great if you could get Domemaster to work with Redshift. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PlayblastVR Renderer for Softimage Released
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2016, 17:28 
Offline

Joined: 17 Mar 2013, 00:15
Posts: 39
Location: Montreal
That's great news Andrew :)

Do you have a tutorial that explains how to render compatible VR YouTube video using your shaders?

Regards,


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group