2015 Service Pack 2 released

New plugins, tools etc.
FXDude

Re: 2015 Service Pack 2 released

Post by FXDude » 20 Oct 2015, 03:17

You're right, but I wasn't necessarily only referring to that, but also whatever may be in our bags now put away in the "wishful thinking" part of our brains.

Perhaps also brought-up upon consideration the length of the active topics page (among other things which I agree can be pretty sad), while current potential replacements (notwithstanding different advantages of different solutions) are arguably still mostly only partial replacements at best in regards to the combination of things in SI that made it so fast, versatile and intuitive.

But anyhoo... :ympeace:

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 20 Oct 2015, 06:38

Also in case of any misunderstanding, I wasn't equating any solution with Sketchup for VFX. ;)

bb3d

Post by bb3d » 21 Oct 2015, 01:42

@luceric:
Thanx again for the detailed explanation.

However, today I talked to another Softimage user (not active in this forum) and he reported, that he is not able to install any variant of Soft 2015 on Windows Server 2008 R2, while Soft 2014 SP2 installed fine on the same machine. What is happening here? Is there any workaround for this?

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 21 Oct 2015, 09:58

So what's the review you guys give on Softimage 2015 SP2? Is it worth it? I'll format my PC and I may install it or just stay with 2014.

druitre

Post by druitre » 21 Oct 2015, 11:15

Mauricio,

stability wise it is perhaps too early to say for sure, but 2015SP2 hasn't crashed on me yet. And that is with 8 hrs daily use for the past couple weeks. It feels more stable than 2014 to me.

There's a few enhancements and fixes in 2015 that have become indispensable to me - mainly in ICE: the fast tab shortcut (find nodes instantly plus it smart autocompletes queries) and the ICE editing offline mode. That's just two but they make a world of difference to me.

There is actually a sh*tload of new features though, check this https://area.autodesk.com/userdata/prod ... latest.pdf, I was amazed too. You tend to forget a feature is new after a short while, just assume it was always there. Muting an ICEtree? Couldn't do that before? Really??

Oh, and in SP2 they fixed a few totally annoying things (like the buggy refresh in the curve editor).

So, at least in my opinion, I'd definitely upgrade. YMMV ofcourse, yadayada. :)

Cheers,
Jasper

luceric

Post by luceric » 21 Oct 2015, 13:38

bb3d wrote:@luceric:
Thanx again for the detailed explanation.

However, today I talked to another Softimage user (not active in this forum) and he reported, that he is not able to install any variant of Soft 2015 on Windows Server 2008 R2, while Soft 2014 SP2 installed fine on the same machine. What is happening here? Is there any workaround for this?
According to wikipedia, the R1 of that OS is based on Windows Vista and autodesk dropped Vista support years ago, so the installer probably blocks it.
If you really want to have XSI on it and had a network license, you could install it on another machine, copy the folder over and run runone.bat and it should work. For a local license, it's probably more complicated

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 21 Oct 2015, 13:46

druitre wrote:Mauricio,

stability wise it is perhaps too early to say for sure, but 2015SP2 hasn't crashed on me yet. And that is with 8 hrs daily use for the past couple weeks. It feels more stable than 2014 to me.

There's a few enhancements and fixes in 2015 that have become indispensable to me - mainly in ICE: the fast tab shortcut (find nodes instantly plus it smart autocompletes queries) and the ICE editing offline mode. That's just two but they make a world of difference to me.

There is actually a sh*tload of new features though, check this https://area.autodesk.com/userdata/prod ... latest.pdf, I was amazed too. You tend to forget a feature is new after a short while, just assume it was always there. Muting an ICEtree? Couldn't do that before? Really??

Oh, and in SP2 they fixed a few totally annoying things (like the buggy refresh in the curve editor).

So, at least in my opinion, I'd definitely upgrade. YMMV ofcourse, yadayada. :)

Cheers,
Jasper
Thanks Jasper. It was really helpful! :)

bb3d

Post by bb3d » 21 Oct 2015, 18:20

luceric wrote: According to wikipedia, the R1 of that OS is based on Windows Vista and autodesk dropped Vista support years ago, so the installer probably blocks it.
If you really want to have XSI on it and had a network license, you could install it on another machine, copy the folder over and run runone.bat and it should work. For a local license, it's probably more complicated
Yep, but 2008 R2 is based on Windows 7 (as far as I know) which is still supported.

xsisupport

Post by xsisupport » 21 Oct 2015, 21:10

bb3d wrote:
luceric wrote: According to wikipedia, the R1 of that OS is based on Windows Vista and autodesk dropped Vista support years ago, so the installer probably blocks it.
Yep, but 2008 R2 is based on Windows 7 (as far as I know) which is still supported.
SP1?
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

bb3d

Post by bb3d » 25 Oct 2015, 01:10

@xsisupport:
A missing SP1 could be the problem, I will ask him.
And BTW, it's good to still have you around here :)

@druitre:
Thank you for the info, this encourages me to use SI 2015 for my projects from now on.