Petition for opensourcing The Mod Tool ?

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
livio3d

Petition for opensourcing The Mod Tool ?

Post by livio3d » 01 Aug 2021, 16:46

Hi guys,
some time ago with a friend i start the idea to try to buy the mod tools rights and code frome autodesk and try to making a softimage foudation like blender , with the mod tool code as base , its lightweight and i think more easy to modify and take hands on , dont think autodesk think to sell softimage xsi , but at last asking for opensourcing Mod Tool its something more realistick i think , its a free software from start , and if we can have at last simple features updated like last fbx support, c# scripting and a modern realtime rendering engine like eevee can become easly the number 1 tool for Gaming and realtime productions ( i talk as a game artist and developing of course ,but looking the actual tech direction i think mod tool with unreal and unity direct support become something really big).
I try to use blender and start to learning it ,but simply dont work , after 20 years of softimage using its impossible to use another program , actually i still use xsi for my workflow, other software was to slow or bugged to use , their interface are a nightmare!

My idea its to ask at last for releasing mod tool as opensource sofware , without mentalray , without ice , the simple mod tool cleaned to update for modern file supports and expand like blender using the addon philosophy xsi already use.
OR at last make a petiton and a Kickstarter for buy mod tools rights and source and create a "softimage foundation" like blender.

I think autodesk never release softimage XSI , but mod tool its another story , and mod tool have all we need , What do you think ?

Botan

Re: Petition for opensourcing The Mod Tool ?

Post by Botan » 01 Aug 2021, 21:04

Any movements concerning XSI resurrection is good idea) do nothing - happens nothing

livio3d

Post by livio3d » 01 Aug 2021, 22:53

yep , i try to start a fire here :D , sharing on twitter this post too , but im almost invisible :) , at last i can ask you all to share too and try to reach more people, we neen lot of people know this plan first to start a petition, or it fall unsighted .

gaboraa

Post by gaboraa » 03 Aug 2021, 10:02

I'd like to see that happen but chances are too slim to even wish for it. The first question is that why would Autodesk need to release Mod Tool open source since they already left their competitor out of business and Mod tool is way too powerful. With community support, it might become a serious competitor to their current lineup.

livio3d

Post by livio3d » 06 Aug 2021, 19:50

if not release, just see how much they sell the right for mod tool and softimage name, for a free software, they take some income when others "try" to fix it , and money its only the thingh they care, if there is a way starting a kickstarter campain for buy it its possible , i think half japan follow it , we need to make noise anyway.

kiwimation

Post by kiwimation » 07 Aug 2021, 00:05

Squeaky wheel gets the grease, I am in.

gaboraa

Post by gaboraa » 07 Aug 2021, 07:46

Would be cool to give it a shot

livio3d

Post by livio3d » 07 Aug 2021, 19:24

probably another and a best way can be for blender to acquire mod tool from autodesk and udpate it with eevee and last fbx support. The problem is how ask blender foundation ? posting on thery forum ?

Surface_VR

Post by Surface_VR » 09 Aug 2021, 15:56

I feel like if I could add Softimage's usability + ICE to Blender, I'd have the ideal 3D software.
I'd like to see some action with Mod Tools. It would be a shame to see Softimage end! MOTTAINAI!

xsisoft

Post by xsisoft » 11 Aug 2021, 22:20

sorry for the harshness -
but it never will!

to be in your favorite softimage - this is the way to blender + sycles(cycles blender)
and customizations - from softimage to blender and ....
(softimage to blender)
(blender to softimage)
:-( :-)
p.s.
there is no other way
-except....
(can you tell me :-) :-) :-)

or old fbх (= other export)
and your other dcc

you need to combine and release a-course (paid or free (since this is a very narrow segment)
softimage and blender

who can influence by his examples (softimage and ice)
on the development of the blender and the adopted strategy - all through the nodes - and that it would be as real time as possible as in co-implementation (and not as in maya and bifrost - low fps)

that is, how to give a continuation of life to a beloved ship, flooded by circumstances and copyrights, softimage = only through integration with a blender (free or paid)

free mod tool is our wishlist = it's not real (my personal opinion)
but will turn to the community of the blender and through
a huge number of people (they will try to give a breath of a second life - for softimage (albeit through a mod tool) this is a goal - a vector is a union

=
?
your opinion ?! :-)