Autodesk going all rental?

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
jamination

Re: Autodesk going all rental?

Post by jamination » 28 Oct 2014, 03:40

interesting thoughts...

I guess a possibility that I can get behind is if a platform like Fabric Engine could effectively destroy (strong words) Autodesk from the inside. If strong tools could be made that are basically platform independent, users could use any program they please, provided of course these tools are an upgrade. Anyway here's hoping. Of course this requires that autodesk doesn't buy them, which is hardly inconceivable.
Phil Harbath
Jamination Productions

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 28 Oct 2014, 05:37

Fabric is a very interesting from the point of view that hours invested is not platform / application dependant. You tie that in with alembic or moves to a better interop format and it allows people even in huge pipelines to use the application they are most efficient in, At the end of the day thats a massive boost to the studios bottom line. Hopefully for example splice keeps on getting more applications under its belt. Modo for me personally would be a great one..

Interesting times ;)
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 28 Oct 2014, 10:55

IMHO the near-monopoly we're at right now will not significantly change in the next years. The idea of burning down Autodesk and ransacking it for its components is tempting but obviously not realistic at all. What might happen, though, and I want to stress "might", is that the current "competition" will be able to solidify its current position with even a serious (from their POV) chance for growth. This won't affect the overall playing-field all that much, but will keep the necessary options for the customer to keep the game interesting in the first place. Rooting for the small companies isn't about bringing down Autodesk, it about keeping the game worthwhile to play in for longer. This near-monopoly isn't about to end, what's important is, that it doesn't turn into a true monopoly, I think.
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

luceric

Post by luceric » 30 Oct 2014, 17:38

Hirazi Blue wrote:But the stated time-frame (12 to 24 months, if I'm not mistaken) doesn't seem to leave too much room for discussion, I'm afraid.
And looking at the claims apparently made at the aforementioned webinar one gets the impression that the information is already "out there", it just has not reached the customer yet.
Hello, I left this thread a bit to waddle last week after post but I think it might be worth clarifying a couple of bits I implied even though I know that isn't going to change anyone's mind about Autodesk. First, on Investor Day, Autodesk talked to investors to tell them their plans to eliminate permanent licenses in the next few years. This is going to happen, but with lots of warning to users and time to adapt. The details of how that's going to be rolled out, what and when and how, are still in the works and nobody can say they know them. When the plan is officially rolled out, it will be announced with the press and the users, and the will be time to adapt, perhaps hoard permanent licenses if you chose do to that. In addition to this, there is no plan to stop the existing support subscription, so your permanent license will continue to get upgrades as they are made. It's only if you decided to add a second seat in a few years that you'd be affected.
Last edited by luceric on 30 Oct 2014, 17:50, edited 1 time in total.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 30 Oct 2014, 17:44

So what's the official stance on the validity of statements apparently made during the aforementioned webinar?

luceric

Post by luceric » 30 Oct 2014, 17:49

Hirazi Blue wrote:So what's the official stance on the validity of statements apparently made during the aforementioned webinar?
which specific statement?

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 30 Oct 2014, 18:05

As you may recall from earlier in this thread a date for Max and Maya to go subscription-only was suggested and an end date after which no new perpetual license could be acquired.

luceric

Post by luceric » 30 Oct 2014, 20:11

Autodesk publicly said they intend to end perpetual license sales within 24 months, so unless there are delays it's fair to speculate that you wouldn't be able to buy one in the calendar year 2017, which is 26 months from now.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 30 Oct 2014, 21:16

but with lots of warning to users and time to adapt. [ yes.. that makes it all fine and dandy ]
That while having the gull to claim that it's for users that this is all coming into play.

The details of how that's going to be rolled out, what and when and how, are still in the works and nobody can say they know them.

When the plan [ the 'ploy' ] is officially rolled out, it will be announced with the press and the users, and the will be time to adapt, perhaps hoard permanent licenses if you chose do to that.
If anything like Adobe, that would make for an overwhelming majority of users,
(~80% after 2yrs despite still super-low (initial) rental prices)
being the last remaining choice other than giving-in, or adopting Krita.
In addition to this, there is no plan to stop the existing support subscription, so your permanent license will continue to get upgrades as they are made.

It's only if you decided to add a second seat in a few years that you'd be affected.
'affected' -> essentially screwed

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 30 Oct 2014, 23:16

I've seen the Motion Media webinar and all they've done is repeat what Andrew Anagnost said on the investor day. They weren't making any firm and official statements and even said that details are still unclear. They were really only mentioning it so as not confuse things with the changes to the upgrade policy that comes into effect next year. And the main subject of the webinar was the upgrade policy and subscriptions, and nothing really to do with Andrews comments.

So, personally, I would reiterate what I said in my previous post. It's way to early to confirm anything because there's no solid information yet. I don't have any and am not going to speculate on anything until I know more.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 30 Oct 2014, 23:33

Don't know when exactly people are going to be taken advantage of.
(have virtually unanimously unwanted (greedy) policies imposed on them)

talent103

Post by talent103 » 31 Oct 2014, 01:03

The future is bright. :-B

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 31 Oct 2014, 11:12

Although I actually really do not care all that much about the way this "will go down", as knowing it will is more than enough information I need personally to make my decision, I was intrigued by the suggestion of an end date after which no new perpetual licenses could be acquired. That would be rather specific information (if correct) and would seem somewhat at odds with the "nothing is set in stone as to the when"...
(-|

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 06 Nov 2014, 13:58

So I received a e-mail from Maxon for a survey. One question caught my eye ...
*2. Would you utilize a monthly rental- / subscription-based option for Cinema 4D?
Damn!

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 06 Nov 2014, 14:24

The following classical movie commentary contains some "strong" language (technically)... %-(

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 08 Nov 2014, 08:09

MauricioPC wrote:So I received a e-mail from Maxon for a survey. One question caught my eye ...
*2. Would you utilize a monthly rental- / subscription-based option for Cinema 4D?
Damn!
Kill it with fire !
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University