any news about Softimage 2014 ???

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
luceric

Re: any news about Softimage 2014 ???

Post by luceric » 21 Sep 2012, 16:06

We can only manage to provide one stable and working build to beta each month except when doing the Release Candidate. the process to download and install it is not the problem. There are probably just 8 build total that a beta needs to install in a year.
For released products, I think Max and other CAD products actually DO have a Update notifcations and incremental installs.

iamVFX

Post by iamVFX » 21 Sep 2012, 16:28

luceric wrote:There are probably just 8 build total
my god, 8 iterations, what i'm complaining about here

Letterbox

Post by Letterbox » 21 Sep 2012, 18:29

iamVFX wrote:
luceric wrote:There are probably just 8 build total
my god, 8 iterations, what i'm complaining about here
I think we were talk at cross purposes, i was meaning just beta, so you can ensure you get good reports back from clean installs.
As for the firefox updates (which i find annoying - far too many of them) you'd have to have a program in place to do this as mozilla does, I don't think there is anything built in to do this in xsi.
I rather have the developers fix the bugs, then the many improvements in production efficiency that can be made, then...then...(you get the idea).....then think about an update system.

By the time that's all done, the updater probably wont be needed.

nuverian

Post by nuverian » 30 Sep 2012, 05:15

qt + viewport for 2014 = happy
Sorry I dont expand on my requests, but I guess they are self explanatory :-)
Portfolio / Blog
http://www.nuverian.net

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 16 Oct 2012, 20:31

Craft Director Studio
30 September

CDS now has support for 3ds max 2013, Maya 2013 and Softimage 2014.
http://www.facebook.com/craftdirectorstudio

gustavoeb

Post by gustavoeb » 16 Oct 2012, 21:01

more like a typo, it has been corrected on more recent posts
Gustavo Eggert Boehs
Blog: http://www.gustavoeb.com.br/

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 17 Oct 2012, 19:19

Possible, still strange 2013,2013, 2014

Lord Futzi Voldemort

Post by Lord Futzi Voldemort » 21 Oct 2012, 23:27

Actually I don´t understand why AD doesn´t do it like the foundry. If youre on maintenance, you get the betas automatically. I mean whats the whole fuzz about the NDAs? Who actually could steal somthing from AD? They own everyone who could. Luxology or anyone else would hardly get any benefit from the knowledge of new ICE Features, or High Quality Viewports or about anything important thats missing in SI that other have already. I´d be very suprised, if any new feature could actually repeat the impact of ICE in SI, so why not share, and get as much feedback as you like? Oh, uh, I see - there´s the problem.....
I'm now part of an endangered species...

CiaranM

Post by CiaranM » 22 Oct 2012, 01:30

An online updater type thingy is a bad idea IMHO. The final foftware version used on any production has to be fixed. The software may be buggy or even broken, but still functional enough to get the job done well i.e. it can still workably get to the stage of rendering final, approved images. I don't want to take the risk that a bug-fixed version will render my images with even a single pixel of difference - even if my pixel is now correct. So, we need to have different versions of the software available for users and per job. We also need to be able to roll back to that project at any time in the future including the same the same software version, so that we may accurately reproduce our serendipitous bugs.

Those beta testers sure sound like a bunch of lazy basterds. I mean WTF?@! How dare they miss any single bug over the whole vast application during the few precious hours they have available between work and sleep over the course of a compressed beta cycle. [-x

But, seriously it's more complex than the testers being lazy moochers. For example, there have been public discussions and requests about how AD could help beta testers do better, such as implementing forwards compatibility (or exporting scenes to previous versions) and ascii scene formats that might allow the testers to use actual production scenes (maybe even during the day job!) with less fear of being boxed in when a new feature or build breaks. It's bad practice, but is the surest way to earnestly test the application. Even if we could limit the use of a beta software to isolated parts of the production pipeline - as long as we could safely step back a version it would help immensely.

luceric

Post by luceric » 22 Oct 2012, 02:38

Lord Futzi Voldemort wrote:Actually I don´t understand why AD doesn´t do it like the foundry. If youre on maintenance, you get the betas automatically. I mean whats the whole fuzz about the NDAs? Who actually could steal somthing from AD? They own everyone who could.
you know the answer to this already... it's because of the same boring Sarbane-Oxley revenu-recognition reasons they can't talk about future releases in general.

Letterbox

Post by Letterbox » 22 Oct 2012, 17:16

CiaranM wrote: and ascii scene formats that might allow the testers to use actual production scenes (maybe even during the day job!)
Good point.

I'd always thought that use of conditional compilation could also be used here, specially if one writes out ascii as xml, as you could tag the newer elements with the app version number. That'd too let you find them fast and remove them to reload into an older version, sure you'd need some plugin to read it until all versions supported xml, but should not be that hard to achieve. I believe GEAR does that.

Same conditional compilation could be used to finally get rid of the 2gb file limit ( as least for X64) that's been mentioned elsewhere. I suppose this is all down to the way it was/has been written, coding practices, time, a willingness to implement it.

Just like everything else I suppose - cost vs functionality. (which implies...)

But it could give beta users a kind of 'no prior version lockout' security blanket.