perfect UVs on a sphere ?

Discussions regarding Materials, Material-Compounds or Shaders, etc.
cheeseburger

Re: perfect UVs on a sphere ?

Post by cheeseburger » 09 Jul 2013, 16:00

Hi gaboraa,
even the nurbs sphere's UVs look distorted to me ....
Come on SI-Community, there must be someone who knows about this ... no ?
Maybe we are mistaken, maybe there's a simple solution fingers crossed

Superpositivo

Post by Superpositivo » 11 Jul 2013, 01:31

Just to better understand. Is it possible to have the sphere with perfect UVs you friend sent to you?... Just to check it.

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 11 Jul 2013, 10:16

yes I would like to see the texture used and this perfect sphere geometry (with no distortion) because how can you fit a sphere into a square without *some* distortion at the poles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Map_projec ... is_best.3F

to get an easier grid UV set just make the sphere at extent 179.99 and 0.1 (instead of 180 & 0) then scale the poles and merge down.

usually this is solved by pre-distorting the image with polar to rectangular filter but only will work properly if it is twice as wide as high etc.
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.

cheeseburger

Post by cheeseburger » 11 Jul 2013, 10:49

UVs.jpg
Here is a picture of a poly, a nurbs and a 3d studio sphere.
@Tekano As you can see this is what I'm talking about. Quite simply it's the so called polar regions that spoil my fun. The imported sphere is fine for my use. Hope that makes sense.

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 11 Jul 2013, 11:32

Cheesburger,

thats cool, there is still distortion on the MAX one see red square A1 - which is same distortion you would get anyway by doing it the way I said.. when you create a sphere, change extent to 179.99 and 0.1 then scale the poles and weld. you will have exactly same sphere and UV set as the Max one. yes its a pain, but a sphere is a sphere... :)
Attachments
Capture_sphere.JPG
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.

cheeseburger

Post by cheeseburger » 11 Jul 2013, 12:45

I appreciate what you're saying but the very fact that in max this was a one click operation and in Soft it's a work around has managed to convince me to just save this one out as a new primitive and be done with it.
Thanks for you're work around though ... I'll learn it just in case.
I got shown max and maya recently and realised it had been a few years since I'd see what they do. It just seems that the viewport and some modeling options are way ahead ! Wireframe for example and the chance to make splines renderable, the look in the viewport along with many nice options that don't take ages to prepare and ..... etc etc. But .... I still LOVE Soft, workflows and elegance of certain operations, modeling, Keyboard shorts etc. Ho Hum

Thanks for everyone's input

gaboraa

Post by gaboraa » 11 Jul 2013, 13:25

Yes I agree, in some aspects Softimage is left behind the competition and the tools are aging day by day. I got surprised by the new Dx11 viewport of Maya and some of the built in tools we lack. In other apps primitives have default Uvs and thats because in Soft we have to do it manually.