PyQt on 2015 problem

Discussions concerning plugins for SOFTIMAGE©
druitre

PyQt on 2015 problem

Post by druitre » 11 Feb 2015, 11:43

Hi guys,

I'm having a hell of a time getting PyQt to work. I'm following all instructions Steve Caron gives at his Github page for installing his PyQtForSoftimage.addon - installing Python, Pywin, PyQt, setting environment variable Path correctly. But when I then install the addon Soft immediately returns the following error:

Code: Select all

# ERROR : Traceback (most recent call last):
#   File "<Script Block 2>", line 2, in <module>
#     import sip
# ImportError: No module named sip
#  - [line 2 in C:\Users\Administrator\Autodesk\Softimage_2015\Addons\PyQtForSoftimage\Application\Plugins\pyqt_example.py]
# ERROR : Traceback (most recent call last):
#   File "<Script Block 2>", line 1, in <module>
#     from PyQt4.QtCore import Qt
# ImportError: No module named PyQt4.QtCore
#  - [line 1 in C:\Users\Administrator\Autodesk\Softimage_2015\Addons\PyQtForSoftimage\Application\Plugins\qtevents.py]
Also, I have EtRenamer which fails too:

Code: Select all

# WARNING : PyQt not found, etRenamerPyQt will not be loaded.
Of course, there are a lot of different Python versions around, at the time of Steve's addon it was at 2.6 and now we're at 5, and I've tried a lot of them in different combinations but so far no result.

So, just to start, does anyone have PyQtForSoftimage addon working in Soft 2015? And if so, what version of Python/Pywin/PyQt?

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Re: PyQt on 2015 problem

Post by Hirazi Blue » 11 Feb 2015, 12:17

Did you "uncheck" the "Use Python Installed with Softimage" checkbox in the Scripting Preferences?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

druitre

Post by druitre » 11 Feb 2015, 18:21

Yes, tried it, doesn't help. Also stated on Caron's site it shouldn't matter after SI2012.

xsisupport

Post by xsisupport » 11 Feb 2015, 19:35

See the instructions at the bottom http://xsisupport.com/2014/01/07/installing-pyqtforsoftimage/.

Worked for me. I have PyQt working in Softimage 2015 SP1
// Steve Blair
// "You're not a runner, you're just a guy who runs" -- my wife
//
// My Blogs: Arnold | Softimage

druitre

Post by druitre » 12 Feb 2015, 11:32

Hi Stephen,

I did all of those things as described at your blog, the only thing is with the PYTHONPATH - it's described as 'Set the PYTHONPATH environment variable to point to the location of PyQt4.' - but I have to assume that location would be C:/Pythonxx? Or should it be C:/Python27/Lib/site-packages, or somewhere close?

Crazy thing is, I just tried it with SI python disabled (as if it were pre-2014 days) and now it all works!! in SI2015!

EDIT, stop the press: Tim Crowson over at Redshift forums (whose Redshift Proxy Manager this all started with) gave me a link to another page of yours - http://xsisupport.com/2015/02/11/instal ... mage-2015/ - and you answer my above question there. Yes, it should be C:/Python27/Lib/site-packages in the pythonpath.

It's working now, so thank you so much! Maybe add the info from the second link to the first, as that was not clear to me - I had assumed all this week that C:/Python27 would be enough as path value.

Cheers, Jasper