The future of content creation?

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
rray

The future of content creation?

Post by rray » 11 Oct 2010, 22:00

Here's some freaking cool 3d Coat videos by Bay Raitt (the guy whose Mirai videos got me into 3D) showing him create

a techno bug,

a submarine and

a monster

Will it only be a matter of a few years until subdee modeling finally disappears and makes way for voxel/highpoly sculpting + retopo? please no x_x x-D
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

Mathaeus

Re: The future of content creation?

Post by Mathaeus » 11 Oct 2010, 23:18

Re-topology is still a pain, even in latest 3d coat. Also, in zBrush-Mudbox-3dCoat reels, almost no one of 'typical' models in TV commercials: cellphone (exact type..), chartony character (again with decent topology, ready for enveloping), car, industrial product. Not that much for archiviz guys too...

Nice to see all that monsters, but I really have no idea where they use them for making money. On the other side, I know a few Rhino guys that seems to be able to live exclusively of their Rhino work.

I'd believe it will spread more and more into categories, SubdS, procedural modeling, voxels... Procedural modeling seems to be very interesting, not only for archiviz guys.

And btw, this one got me into modeling :)

rray

Post by rray » 11 Oct 2010, 23:27

Ha! Had no idea this one was still online.
Procedural modeling looks interesting, I hope ICE goes a little into that direction.
btw, found the mirai video here on google videos
softimage resources section updated Jan 5th 2024

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 12 Oct 2010, 08:55

rray wrote:Will it only be a matter of a few years until subdee modeling finally disappears and makes way for voxel/highpoly sculpting + retopo? please no x_x x-D
I sincerely doubt it, there's not only the retopology issue to consider, certain things are basically just impractical/overkill to approach with voxel sculpting and the like (unless you're a true 3D Coat zealot, which I'm not). For some kind of models SubD modeling will always remain the best option, just like NURBS have never gone away, for the same reason... That said, SubD modeling will probably lose ground rapidly, but like I said, I doubt it will ever be fully replaced...
But this could be wishful thinking obviously... :-j
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

redmotion

Post by redmotion » 12 Oct 2010, 10:42

Tessellation in the new dx11 cards is interesting:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDnBtfq35-U

If you project forward quite a few years, I kind of imagine we'll be working in virtual environments which are real-time photo-realistically rendered. Either using realtime shaders or sheer horsepower-based raytracing. We'll stand in front of 50" (large) 3d monitors (without keyboards and mice) and interact using some kind of advanced/more accurate hybrid of the current motion controllers seen on the current consoles.

Basically, I think digital sculpting will become almost the same as actually sculpting. And I wouldn't be surprised if you won't be wearing gloves so it feels like you're touching a solid surface and its contours.

Some people will probably stick to the pen and tablet, sitting at a desk and be laughed at as being old and sooo-2010.

Bellsey

Post by Bellsey » 12 Oct 2010, 16:29

I think we'll start to see more and more people looking at Point Clouds and Point based rendering.

There was this interesting article on CGsociety a short while that offered some interesting insights

http://features.cgsociety.org/story_cus ... ry_id=5615