2015 Service Pack 2 released

New plugins, tools etc.
Hirazi Blue
Administrator

2015 Service Pack 2 released

Post by Hirazi Blue » 06 Oct 2015, 12:03

Get it here: Softimage 2015 SP2
;)
If you have licenses to Softimage 2015, please install 2015 SP2.
If you are using Softimage 2015 R2 from the 2016 suites/bundles, please
install 2015 R2_SP2 instead

The fixes are the same in both versions, the only difference is in the supported licensing year.

Please note you have to uninstall Softimage 2015 or 2015 SP1 before installing this latest service pack.
(Quoted from here)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

MauricioPC

Re: 2015 Service Pack 2 released

Post by MauricioPC » 06 Oct 2015, 12:36

And so the day came... Of the last breath of Softimage. :(

I hope is a good SP at least.

julius

Post by julius » 06 Oct 2015, 14:35

yes, sad moment, but good news anyway.

mattmos

Post by mattmos » 06 Oct 2015, 14:39

Its fixed the issues I had with the reinterpret node which was causing some kristinka setups to crash soft. Hopefully that means Paul's Fuzz nodes should be safe on this version as well :)

I was running soft 2015 sp1, but as I'd installed maya 2016 with a new licence I had to install the 2015 R2 SP2 version, just a heads up.

xsi_fanatic

Post by xsi_fanatic » 06 Oct 2015, 15:31

sigh... I still don't understand how anyone could commit such a crime and get away with it.

In the current company I work for, we use around 200 Maya users to get around 200 minutes of content delivery in 6 to 8 months.

Every Softimage production company that I contacted requires far less people to get he same amount of work done and in less time. I'm talking about less than 25% of the amount of Maya users necessary.

My mind is blown away because I'm no longer thinking in theories, but I have actual first hand confirmation from companies that have been in the business for so long. And then there's always an agent Smith that insists a 3D application is only as good as its user. Interestingly enough he runs a business and the numbers always contradict his statement.

Unbelievable what Autodesk did. It is a black hole in our industry.

Why can't anybody see that we have a case ? Can't the SI users take this matter to court ?

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 06 Oct 2015, 17:20

I wouldn’t necessarily see this as a sad occasion. Autodesk made its final contribution to the legend that is Softimage and now we – the Softimage users – can finally bid them farewell. “The future of Softimage is bright”, as bright as we ourselves are able to make it…
:ymbringiton: ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 06 Oct 2015, 20:28

I'll keep my student license of Softimage running for as long as I can and I'll play with it from time to time. But I agree ... such a shame. It's a amazing piece of software.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 07 Oct 2015, 03:48

Autodesk is not the cancer, the cancer is probably more like blind prioritizing of revenue(and/or control) over peoples livelihoods (for however much of an increase) .

So I hope acquiring Soft really boosted said revenues(and/or control) to be worth making not unlike 'displaced refugees' out of most of everyone on it. And forsaking the thousands (or otherwise 'countless') hours of development and of time invested on the user side, to oblivion or to be put on a warehouse shelf and sit there (not sold, or otherwise made available)

Of all things, on nothing that could possibly have been considered 'obsolete', but one of the 'better' and long standing solutions at the heart of it's field, still unique in a number of ways including for many of it's very thoughtfully designed and refined layers of abstraction .

Also thus leaving with very little (or no) choice between 'too basic', and comparatively much more (over)complicated for the more elaborate setups, rigs and other things.

But expecting any other behavior can be like expecting a rock to have feelings or consideration beyond numbers on paper.

:-$ %-( x_x

bb3d

Post by bb3d » 09 Oct 2015, 01:19

After de-installing SP1 and installing SP2, my home use license has expired. And because I am not on subscription anymore I will not be able to re-activate it. Thank you very much, Autodesk, for continuing being a pain in the arse for me ~x(

@xsi_fanatic:
They get away with it because users let them get away with it by still licensing and using their crap.

nodeway

Post by nodeway » 09 Oct 2015, 09:48

xsi_fanatic wrote:... And then there's always an agent Smith that insists a 3D application is only as good as its user. Interestingly enough he runs a business and the numbers always contradict his statement...
If he thinks so, than ask him why so many companies switched from Maya to Houdini for making FX, if Maya is so fucking awesome.

Last person that told me this text got kicked out of my life for good. That was a person that couple years ago convinced me that no one uses Houdini and I need to switch to Maya. That was at begin of my 3d journey.
Fun thing, couple years latter this person turned out to be a 3DSMAX guy that have no idea about Maya, that now works as a Houdini guy. And before I kicked his ass out of my life he tried to convince me that he gone to ILM to work on Maya, to do procedural effects and RND, without knowledge of Maya API on the most unprocedural application there is in this industry. Couple months latter, on Odforce, there was a talk in which it turned out that ILM is actually using Houdini for procedural effects, just like everybody else. And the guy that tried so hard to convince me that he gone there to work on Maya, worked there as a Houdini guy, just like he did in last 5 years.

Alen

Post by Alen » 09 Oct 2015, 10:47

bb3d wrote:After de-installing SP1 and installing SP2, my home use license has expired. And because I am not on subscription anymore I will not be able to re-activate it. Thank you very much, Autodesk, for continuing being a pain in the arse for me ~x(
Thanks for this info! So you are unable to use SP2 on work and home, right?

A

druitre

Post by druitre » 09 Oct 2015, 12:34

bb3d wrote:After de-installing SP1 and installing SP2, my home use license has expired. And because I am not on subscription anymore I will not be able to re-activate it. Thank you very much, Autodesk, for continuing being a pain in the arse for me ~x(
Licenses are perpetual, regardless of sub, no? If SI starts up with 'license expired' message, it likely means it doesn't find your license.

I had that message too, but it turned out to be my mistake - forgot to tick the 'networked license' box at beginning of install, so SI was looking locally for the license. (I'm not on sub either anymore, so I thought I was fecked too).

Alen

Post by Alen » 09 Oct 2015, 16:12

Oho...in that case SP2 is go go! Thanks Druitre!

A

bb3d

Post by bb3d » 09 Oct 2015, 17:52

druitre wrote: Licenses are perpetual, regardless of sub, no? If SI starts up with 'license expired' message, it likely means it doesn't find your license.

I had that message too, but it turned out to be my mistake - forgot to tick the 'networked license' box at beginning of install, so SI was looking locally for the license. (I'm not on sub either anymore, so I thought I was fecked too).
You are absolutely right and my main license is still working, but home use licenses expire after one year, so you have to renew them, which is no problem as long as you are on subscription. I am not on subscription anymore for obvious reasons.

luceric

Post by luceric » 09 Oct 2015, 18:25

if you have a network license server at work, and can vpn to work, you can try to "borrow" a license to use it offline. This is done through the license dialog in the About box.
Obviously, if your number of licenses is limited, you have to remember to "check it back in" before going back to work.

xsi_fanatic

Post by xsi_fanatic » 11 Oct 2015, 10:31

@mantragora - I went to a couple of business / corporate lawyers in North America to see what could be done. They could see that we have a case, but what's surprising me is that nobody wants to touch it or go near it. It's like they know they're in for some trouble. I'm curious to know what's in their head.