Realistic character animation

Comments on finished work
doca

Realistic character animation

Post by doca » 19 Aug 2014, 18:42

Hi all,
Recent days I was testing some facial rigs on one of my models. As I had some spare time I did animation too, just to test it. Although there is some space for improvement, and there is no body, it is finished for me and I'm moving to another project, so I decided to put it in finished work. So here it is:

By the way, I am generalist, not an animator, but feel free to comment. Thanks in advance.
Doca

Moderator edit: embedded the video - HB
Attachments
Main.0001.jpg

owei
Administrator

Re: Realistic character animation

Post by owei » 19 Aug 2014, 20:14

Great work..!! Congrats!
Shading looks awsome to me ;) Maybe you could work a bit on the artikulation..looks a bit strange..but non the less..great work! Would share a liitle bit about the workflow, techniques, renderer and other stuff..??

Thanks!

cheers,
oli

xsi_fanatic

Post by xsi_fanatic » 20 Aug 2014, 14:12

Amazing for and unfinished piece of art ! It's always great to see quality work done in Softimage. Keeps the inspiration flowing and let's you realize Softimage isn't dead :)

Keep it up ^:)^

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 21 Aug 2014, 04:21

The model & Surfacing is just flawless, but with perhaps slightly glassy eyes (which is the toughest part to nail, and is less noticeable in the still),

Other than that we can see that all the controls for your face, even down to minute subtleties are there, and are equally flawless,
(wrinkle bump/displacements driven by shapewheight or null deformer expressions?)

But as Owei said, it's the animatronic feel of the animation that would need work, while some aspects like the blink are good. (but not the gaze)

I imagine you had the video clip of the audio as a reference? I dont know if you were trying to have the very same expressions,
but if not, you could try to follow the exact same expression as the actor at first,

(if you didn't already, you can write out your reference clip as a jpeg series to display in an image clip viewer which would scrub at the same time when you scrub) ,

and just by recreating it as close as you can, (use your feelings ;] as you did for the head itself)
you will then have en easier time to make him say whatever thereafter.

Very good work!

sant0s

Post by sant0s » 25 Aug 2014, 10:41

impressive work, nice shading/lightning!

Helli

Post by Helli » 02 Sep 2014, 23:43

So far no one mentioned the details you brought in there.
Nice work on the secondary motion, I love how the muscles/flesh feels.

The animation isnt bad at all, bit off with eyes and bit floaty movement but overall with light, shading and rigging awesome work.

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 09 Sep 2014, 19:53

Excellent work! That is very impressive and I really like the subtleties in the animation.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 09 Sep 2014, 22:15

Very good shading, light, texture, mats, modeling.

The thing i found weird is the eyeballs movement.