Kristinka Hair 3.0 released

Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)

Kristinka Hair 3.2Author: Anto Matkovic
The July 2014 update is another big one introducing new nodes like »Fit NURBS«, »Curls advanced«, »Curvature Amplifier«, »Grouping in Form« »Follow CurveList« »Stretch Hair« »Hair Filler Rounded« — for a full description see the si-community thread and the updated documentation.

The Kristinka Hair toolset is a new and unique way to set up, style and simulate hair using ICE nodes. A set of fully customizable ICE nodes Scalable, from only a few basic compounds for building basic hair, to very complex structures. Hair styling that always considers the whole shape of the hair. Styling works well for short and for long hair. Unlimited hair length, unlimited number of hair segments. Automatic, procedural generation of details - always with full control. Locks, clumps, curls, turbulence, are created by ICE compounds Additional modifiers, like cutting hairs by external geometry, constant strand length for key frame animation, resampling and subdividing strands, morphing with another hair, modulating hair's distribution over emitter, so user can increase density on most visible areas Full support for the Sofimage's built-in Strand Dynamics Framework simulation engine. Only factory ICE nodes were used, it should work nicely with any Softimage version from 7.01 on.

Other media available: Version 3.1's online 'first steps' tutorial. si-community user Bronco67 has created a video introduction for an earlier version available here. Also: A rendering tests thread, a TV ad by PsyOp featuring Kristinka Hair.

In case you want to apply kH3 nodes and dynamics on top of strands that were not generated by kH3 itself, here is a setup to enable that.

local backup: kristinka_hair_32_02july2014.rar

Mathaeus

Re: Kristinka Hair 3.0 released

Post by Mathaeus » 24 Sep 2014, 15:22

Tekano wrote:Anto, thanks! will dig into this further. i wonder how you are merging your curves into the KH3 required crvlist?

I tried the Gear merge curves and CM_mergecurves script from Ciaran but both crash SI 2014 sp2 as soon as I connect the follow Crvlist node with the merge curve connected. the individual follow curves still work fine though
Fabricio Chamon's strand to curve, but, just personally, I don't use curves at all. Made this curvelist thing for someone, sometime around SI 2012, didn't heard complaints, after. Works flawlessly on my antique XSI 7.01.
I think it's again something that particular SI version don't like, related to curve list, this time. Unfortunately can't go into testing session, to find what this is.
Generally, for more control on few hero clumps (if this is the case), there are two new nodes, relying on NURBS surfaces, "kH Fit nurbs" and "kH Fit nurbs one" - second takes just one 'chunk' from emitter's area. *If* there is no problem :D with these two in particular SI version.

Tekano

Post by Tekano » 24 Sep 2014, 15:30

ok thanks for the heads up will try Fabrico's strand to curve and also your hero clumps suggestions. I find it easier to manipulate curves that nurbs surfaces - even though tried your tip of nurbs to mesh > constraint to mesh with switch context, its just an extra layer of fiddle in between

I do believe that merged curves are and have been pretty damn buggy in Softimage after version 7 yes...

***edit ***
actually I just used KH3_Follow_curve_JF_Orientation node with KH3_random_value into Normalize strand length. It seems to give me look am after - plus I have about 20 curves used, so making these into nurbs surfaces would have been a pain. am trying to match a celebrities loose bun with whisps look and hand placed curves are the only way :)

nice one Anto
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.

talent103

Post by talent103 » 24 Sep 2014, 21:43

Hi Mathaeus
Just a quick question. Am I able to use advanced curl node on the syflex model example? I copied and pasted the adv curl nodes from the model example into the Syflex done model example master point cloud but it does not affect the hair.
John
PS
Do you find that the Syflex method gives better results than the previous dynamics example you had provided?

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 24 Sep 2014, 22:23

talent103 wrote:Hi Mathaeus
Just a quick question. Am I able to use advanced curl node on the syflex model example? I copied and pasted the adv curl nodes from the model example into the Syflex done model example master point cloud but it does not affect the hair.
It should work, but it wants a bit more of strand segments, than count in this example, to do something visible, using it's defaults. Let's say instead of 'kh clumps and locks' node in example, try to put "kH subdivide strands". After this one, 'kH Curls Adv'. It uses the strand segments instead of relative length, this is to be able to do as much more turns with less points. One turn is 8 points by default.

talent103

Post by talent103 » 24 Sep 2014, 23:22

Thank You! That worked beautifully!

izze

Post by izze » 29 Sep 2014, 17:04

Just wanted to say thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

izze

Post by izze » 20 Oct 2014, 23:54

I wanted to share some work I completed with Kristinka, and thank you again for the latest update. It makes light work of hair / fur.

Curls Advanced is working quite well for some Dreadlocks!

I also did some work for AMD this year. You might see Kristinka in your local electronics store.

I completed a few other characters this year. But cannot show them just yet.

Thanks so much for all your hard work. Kristinka gives our studio the most control over hair style compared to any other hair solution.

mattmos

Post by mattmos » 21 Oct 2014, 12:46

Stunning work izze! Love it. Be great to see a bit of a making of sometime :)

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 21 Oct 2014, 13:13

Lol! Incredible! =p~ :-o :ymapplause:

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 21 Oct 2014, 16:35

Fantastic izze and Mathaeus obviously.

talent103

Post by talent103 » 21 Oct 2014, 17:44

Yes great work and the dreadlocks came out great. :-bd

Draise

Post by Draise » 21 Oct 2014, 22:01

Wow, those dreads, and the redhead! Has me mesmorized! Amazing work, really really good.

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 21 Oct 2014, 22:38

Thank You, Master izze ! As a matter of fact, I sow this pic somewhere, didn't know there's izze somewhere around :). Izze, when we are already on subject, should I do something with this Curls - to - dreadlocks compound, really haven't dreadlocks in mind when made this thing.

izze

Post by izze » 22 Oct 2014, 00:53

Thanks for all the feedback. I really just posted those images to point out how much I appreciate all the work Anto has put into these compounds. Sorry to de-rail the thread. I had a few people ask for a breakdown on the setup for AMD's Ruby image. I did put something together and will post a link as soon as the boss approves releasing the images.

Anto:
I am extremely novice in ICE and am probably doing a lot of things counter to you designs. I will just explain what I have done, and you will probably know of a better way to accomplish the same results.

As far as the dreadlocks go. The only thing I really "modified", was adding modifiers to only the strands effected by follow curves node. It got pretty difficult to see clearly the results of Curve Adv when it was applied to the whole pointcloud.

I had difficulty getting the curls to start close to the start of the curve. I had to put two points very close together to eliminate the InBlend. But if I knew ICE better, I could probably have modified that compound.

I am also duplicating the pointcloud to get the proper look for "loose" strands. Using Hair Tips node in combination with the very old Hair Length node. The one with Factor and Factor Minus. But this is still very much WIP and I will probably be able to eliminate the second pointcloud.

The last thing I am trying to accomplish is colored thread to wrap a few of the locks. Using Curl Adv again. It would be amazing if there was a way to push strands outside of strands. Maybe there already is :)

But again, these are really really amazing compounds you have created! I have no actual production stopping problems with them. Thank you so much !

Here is the pointcloud for the dreadlocks. Remember its still very WIP. :)

- Christopher

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 22 Oct 2014, 17:13

That's amazing Izze! thanks for that great insight!

And Otto-Rig also looks really quite advanced (& easy)!
http://www.screencast.com/t/bxgbh8jvFWC
OttoRig.jpg
do you think it might potentially be released (or made available for purchase despite circumstances) at some point?

By the way, I passed by ElementX last year when I was over at Janimation (2 seconds away :] )

Seemed like really a neat place!

Nevertheless, Nice Work!

(yep, great stuff makes for lots of exclamation marks!! :] )