Autodesk retires Softimage

News concerning 3D DCC business
mkr

Autodesk retires Softimage

Post by mkr » 04 Mar 2014, 12:28

;(

http://www.jigsaw24.com/news/news/11949 ... d-to-know/
Autodesk Softimage’s retirement: what you need to know

Autodesk have just announced that they will be retiring Softimage over the next couple of years. The good news is that it’ll be going out with a bang, with a final version slated for release in 2015.

So why kill off Softimage? Well, Autodesk already have two insanely popular, industry standard 3D software products on their books – 3ds Max and Maya – and want to concentrate all their efforts on those, and start adding Softimage’s functionality into the Entertainment Creation Suites. So it’s not a proper goodbye, more like ‘see you around’.
What do I do now?
Anyone with Softimage and a current subscription will be able to migrate to a bundle of Softimage 2015 and 3ds Max or Maya free of charge to ease their transition over the next two year period. After that time, you’ll simply be migrated to the most up to date version of 3ds Max or Maya. The transition isn’t compulsory though, and there are a few things that current Softimage users can do.

Softimage customers looking to expand their user base in the short term can buy a bundle of Softimage with Max or Maya for £3900. There’s also a rental licence available too, which you can pay for either on a perpetual or quarterly basis.

How about Autodesk Entertainment Creation Suites?
Now for Autodesk’s Entertainment Creation Suites. For the 2015 releases, there will only be two versions of the suite – Standard and Ultimate. Customers on the Premium suite will be able to transition to the Ultimate, but downgrading to Standard won’t be possible. As only advanced subscriptions are available for the Ultimate suite, it looks like the prices of these will be lowered too.
What about support?

Don’t worry, Autodesk will still have your back covered with support. Subscription customers will continue to receive support for Softimage for two years until April 2016 or until their current subscription contract had run out. Service packs for Softimage are expected to be provided until April 30th 2016, and if you want to remain on subscription for Softimage but not migrate, you can retain your subscription until 30 April 2016.

Pooby

Re: Autodesk retires Softimage

Post by Pooby » 04 Mar 2014, 12:49

So why kill off Softimage? Well, Autodesk already have two insanely popular, industry standard 3D software products on their books
So why buy another one in the first place?
and start adding Softimage’s functionality into the Entertainment Creation Suites. So it’s not a proper goodbye, more like ‘see you around’.
Well you should have retired Softimage WHEN you had that functionality. Not when you've just started,

You *@&*$%£^ bunch of *&$^&^£'s
Last edited by Pooby on 04 Mar 2014, 12:52, edited 1 time in total.

Superpositivo

Post by Superpositivo » 04 Mar 2014, 12:51

Where is the official announcement?

McNistor

Post by McNistor » 04 Mar 2014, 12:52

It's coming, have no doubt.
Also, the future is bright.
The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.
-Thucydides

Eugen

Post by Eugen » 04 Mar 2014, 12:55

If there will be any from this cowards...

Ok, here's my official

SCREW YOU, AUTODESK!!!
May lightning strike you sitting at the poophouse!

mattmos

Post by mattmos » 04 Mar 2014, 12:59

Fuck you autodesk. Fuck you very much.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 04 Mar 2014, 13:01

@everyone - please try to suppress the understandable urge to swear AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. I am in no mood to police this as I feel like swearing a lot myself..
X(

Added caps & bold face for emphasis!!!
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

azurecgi

Post by azurecgi » 04 Mar 2014, 13:01

Looks like it might be time to download that learning edition of Houdini :(

mixepix

Post by mixepix » 04 Mar 2014, 13:01

What a bunch of a##holes! Man, do I feel stupid for defending them in the past! :(
----------------------------------------
http://vimeo.com/mikaelpettersen

Superpositivo

Post by Superpositivo » 04 Mar 2014, 13:02

Yeah, they're just a bunch of dement people.

I could understand dropping a software with no more use for doing things, and not used by anyone.
But it's not the case with Softimage. Surely not spreaded like Maya, but it's full of value in all aspects.
With its history and awesome works done constantly it's really a bad and brutal move.

Really dement people.

Helli

Post by Helli » 04 Mar 2014, 13:06

Were are our AD guys now telling us that the future is bright ?
Or defending AD like they allways did ;)

Nah not your fault guys. Stick around here and watch us learning Modo and Houdini.

KLONOA WORKS

Post by KLONOA WORKS » 04 Mar 2014, 13:06

What the fuck ... r u serious ???? .

I am learning softimage for a long time . And always my friends ask me why u use it . Because its friendly and all tools feel near to you etc...

No man this is shit .. screw u autodesk.

Screw u ...

I will go to use anthoer softwere I will never use any proudct from u

. I will stay with softimage I will find new software that not belong to shitty AD...

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 04 Mar 2014, 13:13

I as a student can switch to Houdini without expense (I don't want to, I intend on studying Softimage still), but what about those companies?

What about Whiskytree who relies heavily on a Softimage pipeline to create amazing work? How can you can change workflow by simply changing the software? What a bunch of idiots. That's too disrespectful for it's customers.

I do hope that EVERYBODY who uses Softimage for work NEVER change for something Autodesk has, NEVER.

I was about to post that I was trying Modo and not liking it very much, but you know what? F@ck it ... I'll rather have to relearn all modeling in a destructive workflow to ever use a Autodesk product again. If that means I wont be able to work in the industry, so screw the industry.

Download C4D R15 student right now to decide between that and Modo.

mkr

Post by mkr » 04 Mar 2014, 13:17

Superpositivo wrote:Where is the official announcement?
Well this is coming from UK reseller, guess they went ahead before official and public PR comes from Autodesk.

Paulrus

Post by Paulrus » 04 Mar 2014, 13:17

Vote with your wallet.

Don't give ADSK a dime and make sure you educate everyone you know about ADSK's policies. Don't buy their 360 apps for iOS, don't buy Sketchbook, don't buy any of their professional apps & spread the word.

ADSK's profits were down 27% in 2013. I can only hope in 2014 we double their losses.

-Paul

origin

Post by origin » 04 Mar 2014, 13:17

So they are giving maya free for sub users. THats good news aint it.