Buy Softimage!

News concerning 3D DCC business
FXDude

Buy Softimage!

Post by FXDude » 24 Nov 2014, 21:06

In case you might have missed this on the list,
Hello,
I’d just like to correct this.

Anyone can buy extra seats of the Maya + Softimage bundle until Feb 1, 2016, at the same price as Maya – you do not need
to be on maintenance.

And yes I know that the FAQ fails to mention this, and
yes I’m sorry, and yes I’m trying to get it fixed.

Jill
I think Jill has been great at generally making life easier for 'Softimagers' at large.

So Softimage can be purchased! Which I think is great news! :)

(edit: removed a few things)

xsi_fanatic

Re: Buy Softimage!

Post by xsi_fanatic » 24 Nov 2014, 22:02

FXDude wrote:In case you might have missed this on the list,
Hello,
I’d just like to correct this.

Anyone can buy extra seats of the Maya + Softimage bundle until Feb 1, 2016, at the same price as Maya – you do not need
to be on maintenance.

And yes I know that the FAQ fails to mention this, and
yes I’m sorry, and yes I’m trying to get it fixed.

Jill
I think Jill has been great at generally making life easier for 'Softimagers' at large.

Phew, that's good news.

(edit: removed a few things)

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 26 Nov 2014, 22:21

I wonder what is behind this now. Desperation to sell Maya seats?

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 27 Nov 2014, 04:47

(tight) Terms have only been relaxing since the eol. Maybe it's from common sense, and/or perhaps from the disapproval.

But I think it's enough to be considered as now quite 'okay' or acceptable under the circumstances.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 27 Nov 2014, 11:23

FXDude wrote:(tight) Terms have only been relaxing since the eol. Maybe it's from common sense, and/or perhaps from the disapproval.
Apart from the famous initial switch in policy, in large part due to user uproar, right after the EOL, not much really has actually changed AFAIK. What really went wrong IMHO were the (slightly) contradictory versions of the FAQ and the most recent somewhat misguided attempt to condense all information into one easy-to-handle FAQ (in itself a noble cause), where some information present in the previous FAQs was erroneously omitted and/or poorly worded, which led to much of the confusion.
The way I see this, it's more of a "communication breakdown" than anything else...
:-?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

luceric

Post by luceric » 27 Nov 2014, 13:50

yep, the EOL announcement has always been that, you could buy until 2016.

If you quality for an upgrade though, waiting for next year to buy would not be good because Autodesk drops sales of upgrades for all products this January, not in 2016.

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 27 Nov 2014, 16:31

First Day was, all Soft licences -will end- (after a grace period), making migration manditory, with a few days notice for purcahse availability (longer notice for privileged customers)
(wow)

The next day, okay your existing perpetual licence will remain valid and perpetual.. but you cant upgrade beyond a (super short) 3 week period or get new seats. (unless your on subs)

Some time after, okay you can upgrade your existing license, even after the initial (super short) 3 week period.
(not just on subs, or you could get on subs and retroactively benefit from upgrade options)
for people with older ver. that previously didn't want to upgrade because of poor updates, but wanted to have access to the last offical one.

Some time after (not long ago), okay you can get new seats (not just replace former ones) if you're an existing customer

And now, okay you don't have to be an existing customer, (for anyone) to get the last (official) ver. of soft.
(for people that used soft exclusively in studios, or anyone interested in arguably the most streamlined VFX package ever devised)

Next?, what. Okay Soft isn't really EOL lol . (wouln't push my luck :] )

Every time (after the first time) was as if it was something that wasn't made clear.

Maybe all this was somehow strategic or all already pre-planned (to reduce usage or encourage migration while not looking too insensitive), but I would hope it's because there is some form of consideration of people when making decisions, and not all just purely based on revenue maximization (through market overwhelming) for (inevitably & insatiably) hungry impersonal shareholders. (how the system is made)

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 27 Nov 2014, 19:02

FXDude wrote:Some time after (not long ago), okay you can get new seats (not just replace former ones) if you're an existing customer

And now, okay you don't have to be an existing customer, (for anyone) to get the last (official) ver. of soft.
(for people that used soft exclusively in studios, or anyone interested in arguably the most streamlined VFX package ever devised)
I really think you are mistaken about the "new seats". What I believe to be the original "Autodesk Softimage Last Release Announcement" (the oldest on my hard drive) already stated quite clearly:
7. Can I purchase new seats of Softimage?
As of March 28, 2014 only existing Softimage customers will be able to purchase new or additional seats of Softimage by purchasing either the Maya with Softimage or 3ds Max with Softimage transition offerings. These transition offerings will be available for purchase at the cost of $3,675 US SRP* for the duration of the transition period (approximately two years (see question 5)). These transition offerings will also be available as rental plans for purchase at the cost of $575 US SRP quarterly, or $1,840 US SRP annually. After the two year transition period customers will no longer be able to purchase or rent new Softimage licenses from Autodesk.
Which to me shows quite cleary, the policy hasn't changed (i.e. it was there all along), the message however got muddled in the course of issuing necessary updates to that pdf.

And PS I think you still have to be an existing customer to be able to buy more seats...

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 27 Nov 2014, 19:41

Okay, my bad, I was under the impression that before just recently, the only way to get new seats was through the suite on the website that included Soft.
(should have read through the old FAQ, and there was also a recent discussion that I should have recalled but didn't)

But I think my impression was from sifting through things and finding the following..
I agree the updated FAQ (May) should contain the information that you can purchase new seats of the bundle - I'll see if I can get that added. Please don't refer to the original FAQ because it contains information that has since changed (for the better).

And for the latter..
Anyone can buy extra seats of the Maya + Softimage bundle until Feb 1, 2016
Which was in response to a comment about it being only available to existing customers.

So apologies for my confusion, while perhaps still being confused about the 'Anyone' part,
would frankly be unfortunate if it only meant 'any(existing customer)one', and would be great if that could be clarified.

cheers,

luceric

Post by luceric » 27 Nov 2014, 21:18

it's indeed true that anyone can buy that softimage + maya bundle.
now, how many people not already invested in softimage would be interested in starting now...

FXDude

Post by FXDude » 27 Nov 2014, 21:32

luceric wrote:it's indeed true that anyone can buy that softimage + maya bundle.
Wohoo!! :ymhug:
luceric wrote:now, how many people not already invested in softimage would be interested in starting now...
FXDude wrote:for people that used soft exclusively in studios, [concerning some of the ones that felt forced to switch]
or anyone interested in arguably the most streamlined [high-end] VFX package ever devised [to this day, and still by far!]
"Streamlined" as in fast, friendly if not 'fun', with the highest ratio of capability vs. straight-forward simplicity (translating to great efficiency)

Also coming with a unique high-performance comprehensive custom feature maker, also allowing for continually developed and shared 'new features'.

Or the other way around as Pooby said, ICE that includes Softimage lol (all tightly intergrated in one single environment) =p~ (*)

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 28 Nov 2014, 04:58

luceric wrote:it's indeed true that anyone can buy that softimage + maya bundle.
now, how many people not already invested in softimage would be interested in starting now...
Actually, until 2016 I would consider. A 3ds Max + Softimage combo would be great. I would have the modeling chops of Max and the animation wonders of Softimage ... and I wouldn't need to deal with Maya. Sounds great, if it's true.

My hopes are back.

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 28 Nov 2014, 12:34

luceric wrote:now, how many people not already invested in softimage would be interested in starting now...
Well considering the imminent death of the Autodesk perpetual license, it would seem a decent combo for anyone, especially now this is the "last of the perpetual licenses". What we tend to forget is that the proposed licensing scheme will probably make the next version (or possible the one thereafter) of Maya its final "non-subscription" version also. Which is important to those who do not want to "rent" (for lack of a better term). So this bundle provides the user the "last" opportunity to get two high-end DCCs "to keep". Seems like "a steal" to me...
;)

PS I am aware of the semantical pitfalls of calling the perpetual license "purchase/to keep" and the new scheme "rental', but I'm pretty sure you get what I mean by this deliberate simplification...

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 28 Nov 2014, 13:49

Hirazi Blue wrote:So this bundle provides the user the "last" opportunity to get two high-end DCCs "to keep". Seems like "a steal" to me... ;)
I was talking yesterday with a friend who first told me about Softimage back in 2004 at Uni and he seemed very interested into it as well. He doesn't do 3D anymore ... but just the thought of buying Softimage got him excited again. So I guess a few people would love this possibility.

I for one, probably on the second quarter of 2015 would have the money for the Max + Softimage bundle. And yes, I would buy it if this options is actually real. Why would I learn other programs if I'm comfortable in Max and I love Softimage?

Cheers.

P.S.: I can see Softimage being able to produce film quality work for the 5+ years into the future, maybe even 10.

luceric

Post by luceric » 28 Nov 2014, 14:53

Right, I forgot about the perpetual license thing. It is indeed a good two-for-one deal.

But if you haven't started using softimage yet, I'd think that it would not be very encouraging to start now, and drop down 3500$ if you weren't going to do so anyway to buy the other app. That's what I was thinking.

MauricioPC

Post by MauricioPC » 30 Nov 2014, 23:09

So maybe this is something Jill can answer ...

I'm a Softimage student. Now ... will it be possible for me, a student, until February 2016, to purchase Softimage bundled with 3ds Max? I'm aware that Softimage won't be further developed but the software is robust and innovate enough to have a long life ahead.

I don't much care about discount or other things ... I just want to know that I'll have that option as I decide to continue learning Softimage since it's a superb software. I'm sure that I'll be able to use Softimage 2015 for 5+ years down the road.

Hope Jill can see this and shine a light to us Softimage students.