Toggle (H Key) on/off not working with old scene in SAP.

General discussion about 3D DCC and other topics
Rez007

Toggle (H Key) on/off not working with old scene in SAP.

Post by Rez007 » 08 Oct 2010, 22:01

Hi,

I just wanted to see if anyone else is having an issue with toggling objects from a scene that was created in an older version of Softimage and being used in 2011 SAP.

My Issue: I created a scene in 2011 and am now using it in 2011 SAP, and the toggling (H key) on an object does not hide/unhide it until after I click in empty space or on another object. Also, in the explorer window the little yellow "h" does not change at all if the object is hidden or not. It is left in its orginal state from how it was saved in the older version...

It works fine with any objects that are created natively in 2011 SAP, but not with older versions and it seems slow too in hiding certain geometry.

Another note: On opening the older scene it seems to make a "XSI Center of World" null for certain items...i.e. I have a sun/sky system setup and it made a seperate null for this. However, I cannot hide that null no matter what. If I middle click it in the explorer it highlights the null and the direct light, but does not hide either of them no matter how many times I press H.

Rez007

Re: Toggle (H Key) on/off not working with old scene in SAP.

Post by Rez007 » 08 Oct 2010, 22:08

Disregard the part of it making a "XSI Center of World" null as I just opened 2011 and it was already in the original...but it still remains that it has trouble hiding in 2011 SAP...

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 08 Oct 2010, 22:13

hmmm. Strange, after using the original 2011 scene in 2011 and not in SAP, it has now also developed the hiding issue.

I just found the problem!!! It works fine in the Default Pass and the other Passes I normally use. However, I created a White Matte Pass that I rarely use natively...the issues happen when I am in that Pass. It goes away when I enter back into the Default Pass. Is this supposed to happen?

grahamef

Post by grahamef » 08 Oct 2010, 22:32

If there is a visibility property applied to the partition then it takes precedence over the property applied directly to the object. For more info:

http://softimage.wiki.softimage.com/xsi ... agated.htm

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 08 Oct 2010, 22:53

Thanks for the reply. I know what you are referring to in terms of different passes, but maybe what I am not understanding which maybe you explained with the link and I am just not following...is if I am in a different pass just by pressing "H" on an object in the viewport should make that object disappear....which it does, but only after I click in empty space or on another object and off of the one that was previously selected - in relation it does not reflect this what-so-ever in the explorer hierarchy. This is in relation to viewport only work - not in regards to rendering anything.

grahamef

Post by grahamef » 08 Oct 2010, 23:03

When you press H, you are toggling an option in the Visibility property that is applied to the object. But if the object is in a partition of the current pass that has visibility forced on, it takes precedence over the object's local setting.

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 08 Oct 2010, 23:18

I was thinking about it some more too after I wrote my last passage and I see your point with your explanation. I guess I should just accept how the software works rather than what seems logical to me.

I just stumbled over this as I usually dont use passes like in the situation as I normally do. I just happened to be in this pass and I had a lot of objects in the scene that had no relevance to what I needed except for a couple of spheres that I just needed a straight white constant out of it, so I decided hey just "hide" them. I guess I could always either jump up to the default scene and hide them there or just make an override in that current pass and do it there.

Thanks though for the help.

grahamef

Post by grahamef » 08 Oct 2010, 23:38

You can open the partition's property editor and set it's View Visibility to "No effect on members".

EDIT: Assuming, of course, that it makes sense for that pass and partition.