Blender 2.80 to arrive in 2018

News concerning 3D DCC business
Mathaeus

Re: Blender 2.80 to arrive in 2018

Post by Mathaeus » 29 Nov 2018, 13:07

Well OK, all in all it's progress. Anyway I think they shouldn't be so harsh to hardcore users (I don't count myself as Blender hardcore user). In open source like Blender, it's not easy to define who actually is ''user'', and I'm afraid there's still a small number of those who use it everyday for making money. Once people are forced to change, they still have a choice to change to another 3d app as well...

owei
Administrator

Post by owei » 29 Nov 2018, 14:56

...well, as everything can be switched to 2.79-style, I don´t see really a big problem here. Blender is laying the foundation to survive and gain more momentum by just being more open instead of doing stuff "the blender way" just because it should be different. I think they get a lot of interest from bigger studios who are feed up with fu**in AD. And they do good in my eyes. there will aways be stupif things around to complain, it´s a matter of choosing the minor pain, right?

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 29 Nov 2018, 16:19

what they are doing with interaction now, for me it's looking exactly like Maya style of combining the tools and not exposing the important tools to live alone. That probably *is* good for division of labor in big studios, where modeler is only modeler and so on, but it's horrible over-complication for generalist. At this point I can only wait for final release, to see to which level is possible to just override anything I don't want to see, and how easy is to transfer the customization between versions. In meantime, Maya is minor pain.
Obviously they did something with Open Gl, EEVEE is nice, however I still don't see a way to have an external renderer, even custom modifier, as normal plugin - 'normal' here means something not solely based on Python.

owei
Administrator

Post by owei » 29 Nov 2018, 16:24

what they are doing with interaction now, for me it's looking exactly like Maya style of combining the tools and not exposing the important tools to live alone.
What do you mean by that? I don´t understand...can you give an example? I´m not working with blender right now, just trying to keep an eye on it..as Maya is no option for me ;)

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 29 Nov 2018, 21:26

owei wrote: 29 Nov 2018, 16:24
what they are doing with interaction now, for me it's looking exactly like Maya style of combining the tools and not exposing the important tools to live alone.
What do you mean by that? I don´t understand...can you give an example? I´m not working with blender right now, just trying to keep an eye on it..as Maya is no option for me ;)
First of all, their idea alone is horrible, to put something like Grab tool, a trademark of Blender, into backyard, practically. Now if I want to activate it through new toolbar, I have to get it into popup, and since this is kind of selection in Blender, I can't get other selections like Border (rectangle) from same toolbar in same time. Of course I could use shortcuts, but, what's purpose of toolbar, then... Similar thing in Maya, while ago they wanted to copy 3dsMax ''select and move'' tool, but they didn't wanted to add a button, so tweak tool is activated by holding a tilde key when move tool is active. Sounds great at first, one is able to switch fast between move-tweak mode, but, once any kind of snapping is in mix, one has to have a looong fingers, for something that's a just a bit slower, but feasible operation in original, because Max, by some rule, always had almost everything exposed as buttons, too. Hopefully in Maya it's easy to build a custom command sequence for permanent tool, while in Blender, strength is ability to customize the mouse actions.
Another horrible is this one - hopefully this one is not implemented - for sake of small speedup just in some cases, he was ready to kill the consistency of transform tools. Now, story can go further and further, especially when it comes to Maya, anyway let's stop with just these two.

CafeNight

Post by CafeNight » 30 Nov 2018, 05:43

Blender weakest part its navigation too complicated.
And I still cant understand pie menu is really that useful and faster than classic Quadro menu? because I cant understand why developers do this Houdini, modo and blender

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 30 Nov 2018, 05:46

2.8 Beta is out:

download: https://www.blender.org/2-8/

Mathaeus

Post by Mathaeus » 30 Nov 2018, 10:42

CafeNight wrote: 30 Nov 2018, 05:43 Blender weakest part its navigation too complicated.
And I still cant understand pie menu is really that useful and faster than classic Quadro menu? because I cant understand why developers do this Houdini, modo and blender
Pie crap is not obligatory thing in Blender, neither in Houdini. Even in Maya it's possible to collapse them to lists by a bit monkeying with MELs, so, personally I don't use them in Maya as well. Why they are popular, in my theory it's just result of general degradation of ergonomic in entire 3d world, to the level of low paid zombies with few months of experience. For example, pies are *not* present in any animation related window in Maya (graph editor, dopesheet, time editor) - that is, in activity that needs skill and experience.

Bullit

Post by Bullit » 30 Nov 2018, 12:20

I disagree. Pies were in Alias Studio Tools and i think in Alias Animator. One of the reasons for pie menus is that it should be to have a minimal GUi without many buttons and more viewport realstate , of now that we are with big screens instead of 17" from almost 20 years ago changes that a bit.. I very much enjoyed them in Studio Tools. Also if i am not mistaken there was some kind of addon for Softimage