Autodesk retires Softimage

News concerning 3D DCC business
Nizar

Re: Autodesk retires Softimage

Post by Nizar » 04 Mar 2014, 21:18

angus_davidson wrote:
xowgax wrote:Someone needs to ask Foundry (or perhaps Adobe?) to try and acquire it..
At least Microsoft/Avid had fucking the decency to put their baby up for adoption instead of abandoning it to die.
Well brad peebler at thefoundry has already picked up on the poll from the SI Mailing list.
Where? I don't see nothing about, nor in Foundry site or SI mailing list.

Also Side FX is silent

FabricPaul

Post by FabricPaul » 04 Mar 2014, 21:22

Brad is posting on the 3DPro list - nothing about any special deals though. Just a bit of discussion around what Modo has to offer outside of modelling, and asking where people would like to see The Foundry focus. That and lots of people reminiscing about when they first used Soft.

gaboraa

Post by gaboraa » 04 Mar 2014, 21:24

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 04 Mar 2014, 21:25

biOss wrote:By the way Hirazi, could you add another segment to the board for "retired" softimage users. i mean for solidarity with the switchers (to houdini or any non autodesk product). I really like this board and don't wanna lose you too.
I am pretty sure that we will get around to something like that over the next couple of days. Give us some time to deal with the initial shock ourselves first. But it's a good idea!
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 04 Mar 2014, 21:27

Nizar wrote:
angus_davidson wrote:
xowgax wrote:Someone needs to ask Foundry (or perhaps Adobe?) to try and acquire it..
At least Microsoft/Avid had fucking the decency to put their baby up for adoption instead of abandoning it to die.
Well brad peebler at thefoundry has already picked up on the poll from the SI Mailing list.
Where? I don't see nothing about, nor in Foundry site or SI mailing list.

Also Side FX is silent
I picked it up on twitter as I follow @bradpeebler
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

telepatam

Post by telepatam » 04 Mar 2014, 21:34

Well Autodesk lost a lot of rep on this one especially with the bit on how the license will be terminated, if you are on subscription, whatever that means.
If instead of retiring it they did something like drop the price of softimage and just slow the development down to a crawl(sort of what they have been doing so far) maybe they could still make some profit off it and manage to keep the customers less enraged. Try marketing it to freelancers and smaller companies instead.
(also they could remove some useless third party stuff from it like mental ray to cut the expenses).
---------------------
what is dead may never die :D

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 04 Mar 2014, 21:49

Bellsey wrote:Now we’ve gone public with the official announcement, I can stick my head above the parapet.

Breaking the news to a loyal user base that their preferred software was being retired was never going to be easy, and Autodesk knew that. Rumours had begun to surface in the last few weeks, but myself and others were remaining silent so agreed plans and communications could be finalised. It’s unfortunately that some of our partners couldn’t honour these plans in same way.
I’m just really sorry for how it was done, because it was not quite what was originally intended.

I’d always intended on posting some thoughts and observations, but don’t want to get into a lengthy debate, so I’ll keep this post as short as possible, say my piece and get the hell out.
It’s sometimes hard to defend history, so I won’t try to. People will no doubt call BS at me and others over things said in the past, and that’s totally their prerogative. But personally I have always spoken in good faith and I’ve never deliberately misled anyone and I’ve always tried to be as honest as I can be.

On a personal note (takes Autodesk hat off), one thing I’d like to say is that I’m genuinely gutted and sad to see the end of Softimage.
I maybe be just another Autodesk idiot to some, but I’ve also been a customer and user. I joined Psygnosis in 1996, which was my first job in games development and where I cut my teeth in games. It was also where I was introduced to a 3D package that I would come to love – Softimage 3D. And from there my Softimage journey to this point would begin.

My wish and hope now, is that some of the amazing goodness from Softimage, (be it people, features, workflows and philosophy) continues in some way, shape or form. Some of that is already happening right now within Autodesk, and that (imho) can only be a good thing. Because the more of that goodness that gets out there, then the less room there is for some of the crap.

Finally I’d like to thank you guys here, because through this community and others throughout the years, you guys made the product what it is. Sure you guys give us a hard time, but personally I wouldn’t have it any other way as it helps keep us on our toes. I have had some debates with some people here and si-community, but my goal has never been to antagonise. I’ve always tried to be as open and as up front as possible.
I really hope that communities such as the list and si-community don’t die off as that really would be a shame.

If you want some more information around the transition plans and our products, then Maurice is posting on the list, so let him know any queries you might have, as some of you already have.
If you want to ask me questions around this announcement, then of course pvt mail me off list. I’ll try my best to answer any queries.

Graham
Graham, Thank you for coming on here and posting. You and LucEric have been the only 2 people at Autodesk to at least have the decency ever comment on anything on here, and I appreciate you both for doing that over the years. Thank you Graham for your most recent post, especially - I know it is not easy for you to do this.

Ironically, the only time I get a "special" email from AD is when our Software is going to be terminated...crazy

Dwindleflip

Post by Dwindleflip » 04 Mar 2014, 21:52

It his job to be here and smooth shit over. It always was.
Last edited by Dwindleflip on 04 Mar 2014, 21:58, edited 1 time in total.

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 04 Mar 2014, 21:58

What I find unbelievable is the termination of our Softimage license even if we do continue to pay subs and migrate over to Maya or Max. How does Autodesk think we are going to trust them again? Why can't AD just let it ride like they do with Composite... I am on a multi-year project with Softimage....what am I going to do with that? Spend the next 2 years transferring everything over while also learning Maya or Max? That is one of the most unfortunate things I have ever heard and shows just how out-of-touch AD is with their M&E division.

If Maurice said on the mailing list that license contracts are a unique issue because the way they are structured...then give us a NEW FREE license of Maya or Max so we can keep using Softimage to grab files...it wouldn't cost AD anything different. This is a strong-arm tactic and one of the worst moves I have ever seen a company do.
Last edited by Rez007 on 12 Mar 2014, 01:06, edited 3 times in total.

angus_davidson

Post by angus_davidson » 04 Mar 2014, 22:01

Dwindleflip wrote:It his job to be here and smooth shit over.
Not really. that is the Softimage Managers job. Graham has always been upfront with what he has been able to tell us, even though for the most part it to tell us he cant comment on something.

Personally I dont think anyone has a shovel big enough to shift this crapstorm they have made for themselves. Once people loose trust..
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University

Hirazi Blue
Administrator

Post by Hirazi Blue » 04 Mar 2014, 22:02

Rez007 wrote:What I find absolutely unbelievable is the termination of our Softimage license even if we do continue to pay subs and migrate over to Maya or Max.
It at least makes the shelf-life of Softimage 2015 ridiculously short and thus probably not even worth installing...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 04 Mar 2014, 22:03

Hirazi, I just got the notification in my email about 5 min ago...right when I posted. It might be delayed a bit for everyone to get it.

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 04 Mar 2014, 22:05

This was my biggest fear when I learned it was being gobbled up by an un caring mega corp like Autodesk. Why keep the little, easy to use, easy to figure out guy like SoftImage around when you already have the more well established ones like max and maya?

I BARELY managed to figure out modeling in MAx, and that was when I was younger and far mroe willing to learn new stuff. I was far more productive in SoftImage because of the simple layout and simple work flow than I EVER was in Max. And Maya, to me, is one giant confusing mess of a layout. over complicated design.

I just hope they keep a free version around like Adobe does with it's old Photo shop, so people who do this for fun, like I do, can still use it in the future. I am SO GLAD I was able to buy a student teacher edition. I'd be even more pissed right now if I paid the ransom fee of full retail.

Shredder565

Post by Shredder565 » 04 Mar 2014, 22:11

KLONOA WORKS wrote:What the fuck ... r u serious ???? .

I am learning softimage for a long time . And always my friends ask me why u use it . Because its friendly and all tools feel near to you etc...

No man this is shit .. screw u autodesk.

Screw u ...

I will go to use anthoer softwere I will never use any proudct from u

. I will stay with softimage I will find new software that not belong to shitty AD...
if it's competition, watch them buy it up just like SoftImage. Adobe did it to Cool Edit, and now no one remembers that, they remember the 'creative' adobe audition. this is why I hate big corporations. No innovation, no caring.

Rez007

Post by Rez007 » 04 Mar 2014, 22:21

Someone asked Maurice on the mailing list, that if they are on 3DS Max Premium Suite, that gets automatically upgraded to Ultimate, if they have to stop renewing their subscription and re-buy the Ultimate Suite if they want to continue using Softimage and keep their Maya, Max, Motionbuilder, Mudbox...etc. and Maurice said "yes." Now you have to re-buy your Suite if you want to keep using Softimage...unbelievable

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... ZLZlbSeMmQ
Last edited by Rez007 on 12 Mar 2014, 01:07, edited 1 time in total.