vector confusion

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
skylark3
Posts: 4
Joined: 11 Jun 2009, 18:07

vector confusion

Post by skylark3 » 22 Jun 2009, 21:45

Regarding vectors:

Why do vectors (when displayed) for points on an object originate from the world space position of the point and not the origin? If a cube has a point on it (e.g. 1,1,1) then it would be reasonable to represent the vector of the point as a line drawn from the origin to the point in space. What we see is a line originating from the point in space 1,1,1 heading outwards.

If the global position of a null is brought into an ice tree, its position in space is represented as a line drawn from the origin.

This confuses me when you, for example, subtract the position of a point from the position of a null; the result is not the same as subtracting 2 nulls with the same worldspace coordinates.

I'm sure there's a very good reason for this, although I'm a little concerned that I won't be able to understand it.

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1778
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: vector confusion

Post by Mathaeus » 22 Jun 2009, 22:17

You may check this tutorial

skylark3
Posts: 4
Joined: 11 Jun 2009, 18:07

Re: vector confusion

Post by skylark3 » 24 Jun 2009, 10:44

Thank you for the tutorial link - the 'null trap' was one I was just about to fall into. ICE is very powerful, but there are a lot of hazards for the unwary.