Spline IK combined with instances

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
Pancho
Posts: 659
Joined: 19 Sep 2010, 09:28

Spline IK combined with instances

Post by Pancho » 29 Sep 2010, 15:26

Is there an easy way to parent an instance of an object to each bone of a spline IK set up so that the objects are aligned with the bones? I guess that is something which can be done manually if you don't have to many objects, but if there are several hundereds it is a pain to do this by hand.

I don't want the objects to be deformed by the bones, just parented to them. The object will have the same length as the bone, so the objects are positioned exactly next to each other. What would be interesting as an extra gadget is to size the object according to the length of the bone or center the object in the middle of the bone.

Is this possible, to parent an instance of my object to each bone via ice?

Cheers
Pancho

Pancho
Posts: 659
Joined: 19 Sep 2010, 09:28

Re: Spline IK combined with instances

Post by Pancho » 29 Sep 2010, 18:52

O.k., that's my R&D so far. Still new to SI I managed to create a point for each bone (as far as I understand that's neccesarry for creating an instance) and to align a cylinder to a bone.

But how do I "combine" both, create an aligned instance of the cylinder for each bone in my bone group? Should be possible, although not with my current knowledge of ICE.

cheers
Pancho
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pancho
Posts: 659
Joined: 19 Sep 2010, 09:28

Re: Spline IK combined with instances

Post by Pancho » 29 Sep 2010, 18:56

P.S.: I wouldn't mind to use a null with the cylinder as its child. This way I could instantiate the null (I guess the constraint will lock its SRTs) and freely move or rotate the cylinder.

Cheers!

User avatar
Mathaeus
Posts: 1778
Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: Spline IK combined with instances

Post by Mathaeus » 29 Sep 2010, 21:41

Hi,

This one will create the Point Cloud from group of bones and set transforms to particles, with shape set to cylinder. A bunch of transforms that you can see, is mainly to match the particle's cylinders Y orientation to bones X.
It seems it does work only if only bones are in group (because of specific 'length' parameter).

Probably you can use this pattern for something more convenient (get positions from group> Add point node, then Self.ID> Select In Array> some attribute that exist on each member of group).

Cheers

Pancho
Posts: 659
Joined: 19 Sep 2010, 09:28

Re: Spline IK combined with instances

Post by Pancho » 30 Sep 2010, 17:38

Thanks so much!!!!