Hi,
I am into architectural modeling and I love to do it with XSi but there are no tutorials on the stuff I want to model(not a lot of tutorials out there on Softimage anyways).
I would like to model a Gothic window like this one.
Any ideas how?
Thanks a bunch!
modeling problem
-
ajhorvath
- Posts: 53
- Joined: 28 Oct 2009, 15:45
- Location: Tokyo,Japan
modeling problem
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: modeling problem
On a very basic level I'd start (but this is by no means the "best way", or even a "good" way" for that matter) with placing the image as a rotoscope and ignoring one half of it, as it seems pretty symmetrical to me. Next I'd place a small cube in the left- or right-hand lower corner (depending on which part of the symmetry you decide to ignore) of the outer half-arch. Extruding a side polygon gets you the base of your window, while tracing the image to create a matching curve gives you the option to extrude the top polygon "along curve". For both extrusions make sure there are enough subdivisions. Now you should have the basic outer structure standing. Now you could create the inner loop in the same manner and merge the two half-arches that probably wouldn't result in something nice).
The story obviously continues, but this should get you started.
(I'm nowhere near Softimage to guide you through any further at the moment)
The story obviously continues, but this should get you started.
(I'm nowhere near Softimage to guide you through any further at the moment)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Zafar Iqbal
- Moderator
- Posts: 169
- Joined: 26 Oct 2009, 09:04
Re: modeling problem
You could use curves for this - example: create 2 curves - one smaller and inside the other one. Select both of them and then create a polymesh from curves. You'll end up with a polymesh with a hole in the middle, as it should be. Use same principle to get the base model for the window. You aren't limited to 2 curves. Create enough to outline the shape of the window.
Ps. thats just one way of doing it.
Ps. thats just one way of doing it.
- Zafar Iqbal
-
ajhorvath
- Posts: 53
- Joined: 28 Oct 2009, 15:45
- Location: Tokyo,Japan
Re: modeling problem
Thanks a lot guys,I will give it a try .
Hope i can do it.
Hope i can do it.
-
pimeto
- Posts: 47
- Joined: 28 Feb 2010, 23:01
Re: modeling problem
Think of it as creating profiles with curves. Profile of the basic shape so then youll extrude one profile curve onto the other profile curve.
For the "circular" top details you can simply move points on some cylinders placed in the right position or other hard surface workaround.
Then, when you model the one half simply symmetryze it and you ready
For the "circular" top details you can simply move points on some cylinders placed in the right position or other hard surface workaround.
Then, when you model the one half simply symmetryze it and you ready