Binary Alchemy Essential Shader Collection v25
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Binary Alchemy Essential Shader Collection v25
There's a new version (version 25) of the
Binary Alchemy Essential Shader Collection
(including new shaders and Arnold support)
What's new in version 25
Download from here
Binary Alchemy Essential Shader Collection
(including new shaders and Arnold support)
What's new in version 25
Download from here
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: Binary Alchemy Essential Shader Collection v25
I'd just like to comment on one of the shaders in this package - the balight shader.
I've seem MASSIVE increases in render speed with the same quality of lighting (especially area light shadows), as much as 5x faster in some scenes!
If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend it! It puts some new life in MR!
Only one thing I've found to watch out for is on some occasions, shadows mysteriously appear too dark, usually when you have more than one area light using this shader. Not sure why that is but it doesn't happen too often and the speed increases are worth some time experimenting with it.
In the description Holger says a possible increase of 20-30% but my usage has shown WAY more than that. Maybe he meant 300%
I use it almost exclusively now.
I've seem MASSIVE increases in render speed with the same quality of lighting (especially area light shadows), as much as 5x faster in some scenes!
If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend it! It puts some new life in MR!
Only one thing I've found to watch out for is on some occasions, shadows mysteriously appear too dark, usually when you have more than one area light using this shader. Not sure why that is but it doesn't happen too often and the speed increases are worth some time experimenting with it.
In the description Holger says a possible increase of 20-30% but my usage has shown WAY more than that. Maybe he meant 300%
I use it almost exclusively now.
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Re: Binary Alchemy Essential Shader Collection v25
Interesting, thanks! (Interesting for lightrigs in particular)
(hope u don't mind I quoted your post as a "testimonial" for the BA collection on rray.de)
(hope u don't mind I quoted your post as a "testimonial" for the BA collection on rray.de)
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: Binary Alchemy Essential Shader Collection v25
No problem, It's one of my favorite shaders. Can't do without it now!
-
Rork
- Posts: 1359
- Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
- Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands
Re: Binary Alchemy Essential Shader Collection v25
The BA Shaders helped me out of tight spots in the past when MR just refused to work, or was still missing that one feature I needed at that point in time.
These days I'm very happy all these shaders are also available for Arnold, so I can easily mimic my shadersetups and workflows.
Much appreciated!
These days I'm very happy all these shaders are also available for Arnold, so I can easily mimic my shadersetups and workflows.
Much appreciated!
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
-
Mathaeus
- Posts: 1778
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:11
- Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Re: Binary Alchemy Essential Shader Collection v25
This was an issue sometimes around XSI 5, I remember I've reported this, it was fixed. It seems it's something with a way how BA light works. So it's probably good idea to report this again.ActionArt wrote:I'd just like to comment on one of the shaders in this package - the balight shader.
Only one thing I've found to watch out for is on some occasions, shadows mysteriously appear too dark, usually when you have more than one area light using this shader. Not sure why that is but it doesn't happen too often and the speed increases are worth some time experimenting with it.
Don't want to attack to your optimism, but, if Holger said 20-30%, then it is 20-30%
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: Binary Alchemy Essential Shader Collection v25
All I know is that I've used it quite a lot now with great results and it cut scenes that were taking 25min per frame down to 5 with the same look (both shaders optimized as much as possible) and a large image that was taking about 2 hours down to about 20 min. I'm sure it depends on the lighting setup but I'm impressed 
-
Ramon
- Posts: 111
- Joined: 19 Aug 2010, 20:47
Re: Binary Alchemy Essential Shader Collection v25
Interesting! Try ba_light and soft light with Area light, ba_light slower than soft light!
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: Binary Alchemy Essential Shader Collection v25
Don't forget, you can reduce the area light sampling quite a lot and still maintain the same look. That has a huge impact on speed. Don't use it with the same settings ;)
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Binary Alchemy Essential Shader Collection v25
Apparently there is a new version... but it doesn't work, see below
and rray presents a workaround for the problem, see further below
and rray presents a workaround for the problem, see further below
(Quoted from here)There is a new version of the shader collection.
Main Changes:
- 20 bugs fixed/ improvements made
- Rewritten/Extended help files
- Shaders are sorted into the XSI render tree categories
- Maya support for all new shaders
- Arnold for Maya
You can download it via
http://www.BinaryAlchemy.de/index_dev.htm
have fun,
Holger Schönberger
Binary Alchemy - digital materialization
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: Binary Alchemy Essential Shader Collection v25
Has anyone else tried these? I can't get them to install. This is the error list I get. Wondering if it's just me...
RefreshCustomPreferences
' WARNING : SPDL parsing failed for C:\Users\AvidSuite1\Autodesk\Softimage_2012_SP1\Addons\baEssential\Application\spdl\BA_shadow_falloff.spdl
' WARNING : SPDL parsing failed for C:\Users\AvidSuite1\Autodesk\Softimage_2012_SP1\Addons\baEssential\Application\spdl\BA_scalar_clamprange.spdl
' WARNING : SPDL parsing failed for C:\Users\AvidSuite1\Autodesk\Softimage_2012_SP1\Addons\baEssential\Application\spdl\BA_illum_rgb_shadow.spdl
' WARNING : SPDL parsing failed for C:\Users\AvidSuite1\Autodesk\Softimage_2012_SP1\Addons\baEssential\Application\spdl\BA_color_pipe_framebuffer.spdl
' WARNING : SPDL parsing failed for C:\Users\AvidSuite1\Autodesk\Softimage_2012_SP1\Addons\baEssential\Application\spdl\BA_color_mixer.spdl
' WARNING : SPDL parsing failed for C:\Users\AvidSuite1\Autodesk\Softimage_2012_SP1\Addons\baEssential\Application\spdl\BA_color_clamprange.spdl
CopyPaste , "W:\SoftimageData\Addons\baEssential.xsiaddon", "Scene", 2
' SPDL parsing failed for C:\Users\AvidSuite1\Autodesk\Softimage_2012_SP1\Addons\baEssential\Application\spdl\BA_shadow_falloff.spdl
' SPDL parsing failed for C:\Users\AvidSuite1\Autodesk\Softimage_2012_SP1\Addons\baEssential\Application\spdl\BA_scalar_clamprange.spdl
' SPDL parsing failed for C:\Users\AvidSuite1\Autodesk\Softimage_2012_SP1\Addons\baEssential\Application\spdl\BA_illum_rgb_shadow.spdl
' SPDL parsing failed for C:\Users\AvidSuite1\Autodesk\Softimage_2012_SP1\Addons\baEssential\Application\spdl\BA_color_pipe_framebuffer.spdl
' SPDL parsing failed for C:\Users\AvidSuite1\Autodesk\Softimage_2012_SP1\Addons\baEssential\Application\spdl\BA_color_mixer.spdl
' SPDL parsing failed for C:\Users\AvidSuite1\Autodesk\Softimage_2012_SP1\Addons\baEssential\Application\spdl\BA_color_clamprange.spdl
RefreshCustomPreferences
' WARNING : SPDL parsing failed for C:\Users\AvidSuite1\Autodesk\Softimage_2012_SP1\Addons\baEssential\Application\spdl\BA_shadow_falloff.spdl
' WARNING : SPDL parsing failed for C:\Users\AvidSuite1\Autodesk\Softimage_2012_SP1\Addons\baEssential\Application\spdl\BA_scalar_clamprange.spdl
' WARNING : SPDL parsing failed for C:\Users\AvidSuite1\Autodesk\Softimage_2012_SP1\Addons\baEssential\Application\spdl\BA_illum_rgb_shadow.spdl
' WARNING : SPDL parsing failed for C:\Users\AvidSuite1\Autodesk\Softimage_2012_SP1\Addons\baEssential\Application\spdl\BA_color_pipe_framebuffer.spdl
' WARNING : SPDL parsing failed for C:\Users\AvidSuite1\Autodesk\Softimage_2012_SP1\Addons\baEssential\Application\spdl\BA_color_mixer.spdl
' WARNING : SPDL parsing failed for C:\Users\AvidSuite1\Autodesk\Softimage_2012_SP1\Addons\baEssential\Application\spdl\BA_color_clamprange.spdl
CopyPaste , "W:\SoftimageData\Addons\baEssential.xsiaddon", "Scene", 2
' SPDL parsing failed for C:\Users\AvidSuite1\Autodesk\Softimage_2012_SP1\Addons\baEssential\Application\spdl\BA_shadow_falloff.spdl
' SPDL parsing failed for C:\Users\AvidSuite1\Autodesk\Softimage_2012_SP1\Addons\baEssential\Application\spdl\BA_scalar_clamprange.spdl
' SPDL parsing failed for C:\Users\AvidSuite1\Autodesk\Softimage_2012_SP1\Addons\baEssential\Application\spdl\BA_illum_rgb_shadow.spdl
' SPDL parsing failed for C:\Users\AvidSuite1\Autodesk\Softimage_2012_SP1\Addons\baEssential\Application\spdl\BA_color_pipe_framebuffer.spdl
' SPDL parsing failed for C:\Users\AvidSuite1\Autodesk\Softimage_2012_SP1\Addons\baEssential\Application\spdl\BA_color_mixer.spdl
' SPDL parsing failed for C:\Users\AvidSuite1\Autodesk\Softimage_2012_SP1\Addons\baEssential\Application\spdl\BA_color_clamprange.spdl
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Binary Alchemy Essential Shader Collection v25
Sadly I can now confirm this ("never trust the Mailing List" ;) ).
There seems to be something very wrong with this release.
Sorry!
edit: removed my "ignore" warning in light of rray's next post!
There seems to be something very wrong with this release.
Sorry!
edit: removed my "ignore" warning in light of rray's next post!
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Re: Binary Alchemy Essential Shader Collection v25
Weird I was sure I posted a reply an hour ago ... seem to have forgotten to press submit:D
Anyway xD.. Here's a workaround I found: Open the offending files in a text editor, and copy the Layout "Basic" blocks and replace the Layout "RenderTree" blocks with them.
(The "Group" entries seem to be missing from the "RenderTree" blocks)
Anyway xD.. Here's a workaround I found: Open the offending files in a text editor, and copy the Layout "Basic" blocks and replace the Layout "RenderTree" blocks with them.
(The "Group" entries seem to be missing from the "RenderTree" blocks)
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026
-
ActionArt
- Posts: 853
- Joined: 25 Nov 2010, 17:23
- Location: Canada
Re: Binary Alchemy Essential Shader Collection v25
Thanks!
I let Holger know and updates are coming tomorrow.
I let Holger know and updates are coming tomorrow.
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Re: Binary Alchemy Essential Shader Collection v25
from the mailing list...
Ok, the spdl issue and the Maya connection issue are both fixed.
(some issues with the auto-packager)
You can download the latest version via
http://www.BinaryAlchemy.de/index_dev.htm
Holger Schoenberger
technical director
The day has 24 hours, if that does not suffice, I will take the night
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026
-
DigiDragon
- Posts: 4
- Joined: 21 Jul 2011, 23:29
Re: Binary Alchemy Essential Shader Collection v25
Hi
The issue with the spdl has been fixed.
Note: do NOT use "Regenerate Preset".
XSI 2011 and 2012 do not require any presets any more.
It will just fill your render tree with new menus which are not required.
And you will have each shader twice which returns you the double ammount of results if you search for shaders.
All shaders are sorted into the right categories.
/Illuimination/... /Texture/...
If you want to see BA shaders only, search for BA.
cheers,
The issue with the spdl has been fixed.
Note: do NOT use "Regenerate Preset".
XSI 2011 and 2012 do not require any presets any more.
It will just fill your render tree with new menus which are not required.
And you will have each shader twice which returns you the double ammount of results if you search for shaders.
All shaders are sorted into the right categories.
/Illuimination/... /Texture/...
If you want to see BA shaders only, search for BA.
cheers,