ICE Strands subdivision

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
User avatar
Maximus
Posts: 1121
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45

ICE Strands subdivision

Post by Maximus » 27 Aug 2010, 17:13

hello, i'm trying a way to increase the strand subdivision so when strands render, curled or bended they arent jagged, anyone know a method? I'd like to have a smoother strand especially on curvatures, i use segment and cylinder shape but i cant find the parameter to smooth them, so they render out a bit low poly
I forgot i 've found a thread somewhere how to do this but i cant remember where..

Thanks and sorry if this was already asked

grahamef
Posts: 281
Joined: 23 Jun 2009, 19:01

Re: ICE Strands subdivision

Post by grahamef » 27 Aug 2010, 21:48

If you are using Generate Strand Trails then I posted a compound on the SI mailing list a while back. I threw it together quickly so it's not the most efficient but it might do the job for you. I should really go back and clean it up (or better yet turn it into a proper Generate Smooth Strand Trails).

As it stands it should be plugged into the root after Simulate Particles. You should also crank up Max Num Segments in Generate Strand Trails. If you want you can also drive Subdivisions by per-point data.

Note that it ignores StrandOrientation, StrandVelocity, etc., so it won't work properly with motion blur, lofting, etc., without some modifications.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.