interior

Comments on work in progress
a5'
Posts: 66
Joined: 13 Dec 2009, 20:53
Location: hampton,nj

interior

Post by a5' » 18 Aug 2010, 23:52

Hi,

I trying to get rid of the blotchy-ness in this picture. Help?
2010nEW.jpg

info

Code: Select all

softimage 2011
Rendering::
    Antialiasing
        min 0 
        max 2
Framebuffer ::
    sampling Lanczos
        value 4
Final Gathering ::
    automatic
        rays 100
        points 25
               physical sun/sky, portal lights & photoexposure (cd/m2 .002, overwrite camera shaders) 

Thanks,
a5
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
watch the game starts after you accept the part, to redirect your mind.
--n.O.[SP]

User avatar
Rork
Posts: 1359
Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands

Re: interior

Post by Rork » 19 Aug 2010, 08:25

That's a long running project ;)

Start playing with the FG settings, the values are too low.

Also, there seems to be some modeling issues, resulting in 'light leakage'.
rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

User avatar
rray
Moderator
Posts: 1810
Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
Location: Bonn, Germany

Re: interior

Post by rray » 19 Aug 2010, 09:10

I was just wondering why there's a strip of sunlight coming from the gap on the right of the door, but no sunlight coming through the windows.
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026

User avatar
Rork
Posts: 1359
Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands

Re: interior

Post by Rork » 19 Aug 2010, 09:22

It's magic!! ;)
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

a5'
Posts: 66
Joined: 13 Dec 2009, 20:53
Location: hampton,nj

Re: interior

Post by a5' » 19 Aug 2010, 15:47

rray wrote:I was just wondering why there's a strip of sunlight coming from the gap on the right of the door, but no sunlight coming through the windows.
I was just wondering why there's a strip of sunlight coming from the gap on the right of the door, but no sunlight coming through the windows.
I was wondering myself after you mentioned it,

especially the part about the windows.
Rork wrote:That's a long running project ;)

Start playing with the FG settings, the values are too low.

Also, there seems to be some modeling issues, resulting in 'light leakage'.
rob
Indeed!

although not a fulltime long running project.

I adjusted some (a random bunch)stuff. Its too dark but I think the light is falling right. I have better info:
aug2010_arch.jpg

Code: Select all

SetValue "Passes.mentalray.VerbosityLevel", 28
SetValue "Passes.mentalray.VerbosityLevel", 20
SetValue "Passes.mentalray.VerbosityLevel", 16
' INFO : SCEN 0.4  info : 121 geometry leaf instances (121 scheduled, 0 cached, 0 shared)
' INFO : SCEN 0.4  info : 4 light leaf instances
' INFO : SCEN 0.4  info : wallclock  0:00:00.00 for scene preprocessing
' INFO : SCEN 0.4  info : allocated 23 MB, max resident 34 MB
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : scene extent: (-57.67,-10.38,-55.00) : (55.00,51.60,68.25)
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: scanline          off
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: trace             on
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option:   trace depth     reflection 2, refraction 2, sum 4
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option:   acceleration    bsp2
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: shadow            segments
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option:   shadow maps       (use) (recompute) 
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: lightmap          on
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: motion            off
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: luminance weights 0.212671 0.71516 0.072169
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: caustic           off
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: globillum         off
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: finalgather       on
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option:   finalg. mode    automatic
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option:   finalg. points  30
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option:   finalg. rays    150
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option:   rebuild         on
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option:   contrast        0.2 0.2 0.2 1
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option:   file            G:\eric 3d\ArchViz\Render_Pictures\author100819.fgmap
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option:   finalg. depth   reflection 10, refraction 10, 
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option:                   diffuse 0,    total 20
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option:   finalg. scale             1 1 1 1
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option:   finalg. secondary scale   1 1 1 1
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: samples           min 0, max 1
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option:   contrast        0.2 0.2 0.2 0.2, all buffers
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: jitter            1
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: filter            gauss 3 3
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: render space      object
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: face              both
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: field             off
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: hair              on
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: task size         64
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: pixel preview     off
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: lens              on
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: volume            on
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: geometry          on
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: displace          on
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: premultiply       on
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: colorclip         rgb
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: output            on
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: merge             on
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: fb mem management cached
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: type     filter     name
' INFO : RC   0.4  info :         rgba     yes        color
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : camera: focal length      35
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : camera: aperture          22.44
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : camera: aspect            0.6341
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : camera: resolution        527 831
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : camera:   window          12 15 520 825
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : camera: clip              0.1 150
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : camera: frame             1 0.0333667 0
' INFO : RCI  0.4  info : using BSP2 for eye rays
' INFO : RCI  0.4  info : using BSP2 for secondary rays
' INFO : RCI  0.4  info : wallclock  0:00:00.00 for intersection prep.
' INFO : RCI  0.4  info : allocated 23 MB, max resident 34 MB
' INFO : RCFG 0.4  info : depth  #finalgather points
' INFO : RCFG 0.4  info :   0                  59186
' INFO : RCFG 0.4  info : ray type                  number
' INFO : RCFG 0.4  info :   eye                     136796
' INFO : RCFG 0.4  info :   transparency              1741
' INFO : RCFG 0.4  info :   shadow                 3166925
' INFO : RCFG 0.4  info :   finalgather            6807809
' INFO : RCFG 0.4  info : balancing updated finalgather map (59186 points)
' INFO : RCFG 0.4  info : wallclock  0:02:50.94 for computing finalgather points
' INFO : RCFG 0.4  info : allocated 32 MB, max resident 44 MB
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : rendering statistics
' INFO : RC   0.4  info :   type                           number   per eye ray
' INFO : RC   0.4  info :   eye rays                       528826          1.00
' INFO : RC   0.4  info :   transparent rays                47431          0.09
' INFO : RC   0.4  info :   shadow rays                    868800          1.64
' INFO : RC   0.4  info :   fg points interpolated         465136          0.88
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : on average 55.87 finalgather points used per interpolation
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : wallclock  0:05:43.35 for rendering
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : allocated 32 MB, max resident 44 MB
' INFO : GAPM 0.4  info : triangle count (including retessellation) :       41731


Thanks for any help,

a5'
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
watch the game starts after you accept the part, to redirect your mind.
--n.O.[SP]

a5'
Posts: 66
Joined: 13 Dec 2009, 20:53
Location: hampton,nj

Re: interior

Post by a5' » 20 Aug 2010, 09:13

more
100820_a5_0459.1.jpg
cut and pasted from a render region output previous to rendering

Code: Select all

' INFO : SCEN 0.4  info : 121 geometry leaf instances (0 scheduled, 121 cached, 0 shared)
' INFO : SCEN 0.4  info : 6 light leaf instances
' INFO : SCEN 0.4  info : wallclock  0:00:00.00 for scene preprocessing
' INFO : SCEN 0.4  info : allocated 32 MB, max resident 41 MB
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : scene extent: (-57.67,-10.38,-55.00) : (55.00,51.60,68.25)
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: scanline          off
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: trace             on
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option:   trace depth     reflection 2, refraction 2, sum 4
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option:   acceleration    bsp2
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: shadow            segments
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option:   shadow maps       (use) (recompute) 
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: lightmap          on
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: motion            off
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: luminance weights 0.212671 0.71516 0.072169
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: caustic           off
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: globillum         off
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: finalgather       on
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option:   finalg. mode    automatic
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option:   finalg. points  40
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option:   finalg. rays    320
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option:   rebuild         off
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option:   contrast        0.486 0.486 0.486 1
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option:   file            G:\eric 3d\ArchViz\Render_Pictures\author100820.fgmap
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option:   finalg. depth   reflection 10, refraction 10, 
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option:                   diffuse 0,    total 20
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option:   finalg. scale             1 1 1 1
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option:   finalg. secondary scale   1 1 1 1
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: samples           min 0, max 2
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option:   contrast        0.2 0.2 0.2 0.2, all buffers
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: jitter            1
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: filter            gauss 3 3
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: render space      object
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: face              both
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: field             off
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: hair              on
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: task size         64
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: pixel preview     off
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: lens              on
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: volume            on
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: geometry          on
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: displace          on
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: premultiply       on
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: colorclip         rgb
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: output            on
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: merge             on
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: fb mem management cached
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : option: type     filter     name
' INFO : RC   0.4  info :         rgba     yes        color
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : camera: focal length      35
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : camera: aperture          22.44
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : camera: aspect            0.6341
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : camera: resolution        527 831
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : camera:   window          24 29 493 790
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : camera: clip              0.1 150
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : camera: frame             1 0.0333667 0
' INFO : RCI  0.4  info : using BSP2 for eye rays
' INFO : RCI  0.4  info : using BSP2 for secondary rays
' INFO : RCI  0.4  info : wallclock  0:00:00.00 for intersection prep.
' INFO : RCI  0.4  info : allocated 33 MB, max resident 41 MB
' INFO : RCFG 0.4  info : reusing final gather points from previous frame
' INFO : RCFG 0.4  info : ray type                  number
' INFO : RCFG 0.4  info :   eye                     177985
' INFO : RCFG 0.4  info :   transparency              2108
' INFO : RCFG 0.4  info :   reflection                 428
' INFO : RCFG 0.4  info :   shadow                  364243
' INFO : RCFG 0.4  info :   environment                  4
' INFO : RCFG 0.4  info : wallclock  0:01:27.44 for computing finalgather points
' INFO : RCFG 0.4  info : allocated 35 MB, max resident 41 MB
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : rendering statistics
' INFO : RC   0.4  info :   type                           number   per eye ray
' INFO : RC   0.4  info :   eye rays                       470872          1.00
' INFO : RC   0.4  info :   transparent rays                47006          0.10
' INFO : RC   0.4  info :   reflection rays                  1011          0.00
' INFO : RC   0.4  info :   shadow rays                   1492034          3.17
' INFO : RC   0.4  info :   environment rays                    6          0.00
' INFO : RC   0.4  info :   fg points interpolated         408020          0.87
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : on average 73.39 finalgather points used per interpolation
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : wallclock  0:04:54.64 for rendering
' INFO : RC   0.4  info : allocated 34 MB, max resident 41 MB
' INFO : GAPM 0.4  info : triangle count (including retessellation) :           0
RenderRegionSave siViewportB, "G:\eric 3d\ArchViz\Render_Pictures\expo.jpg"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
watch the game starts after you accept the part, to redirect your mind.
--n.O.[SP]

User avatar
rray
Moderator
Posts: 1810
Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
Location: Bonn, Germany

Re: interior

Post by rray » 20 Aug 2010, 10:06

Render settings look ok, should be looking much better even with that relatively low fg setting. That bright blotchy frame around the image and the halos look especially strange. It must be in the materials or light or geometry setup, hard to tell. Maybe you could post a polygon reduced version of the scene. Which material are you using?
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026

a5'
Posts: 66
Joined: 13 Dec 2009, 20:53
Location: hampton,nj

Re: interior

Post by a5' » 20 Aug 2010, 13:28

Well the halos around the sconces over the doors actually have some point lights in them so that's the explanation for those halos. The blotchiness around the frames I don't know and the halo on the ceiling also I don't know.


architectural material--


I can't reduce the scene enough to post it but I uploaded it elsewhere. ReviewAug20_2010.zip
couple questions,

do you have to post the scn 'table of contents' to make the scene readable?

where do you define 'Max Resident' setting?

Thanks,

a5
watch the game starts after you accept the part, to redirect your mind.
--n.O.[SP]

User avatar
rray
Moderator
Posts: 1810
Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
Location: Bonn, Germany

Re: interior

Post by rray » 20 Aug 2010, 14:12

my 7zip can't open the rar in the folder, the smart.scn looks much nicer already however (well on the bottom-half-fg preview, my machine is so slow)

no scntoc needed, I think the max resident is no setting, mr is just logging how much RAM it needed for the BSP.

One thing was I was just wondering, why did you use a falloff node on the portal lights? From what I understood they don't have any falloff since the (theroetical) light souce in infinitely far away (environment).

Must run, will have another look when I'm back home
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026

a5'
Posts: 66
Joined: 13 Dec 2009, 20:53
Location: hampton,nj

Re: interior

Post by a5' » 20 Aug 2010, 14:29

Yeah, I have so many of these scenes I don't know which is the best although I think I started from scratch at one point but didn't finish the moldings.

I'll check the Smart.scn

compressed folder should open with windows 'Compressed (ziped) Folders'

The reason I say that (about the max resident) is because I have more RAM than its using. I remember in 5.0 there was a BSP control area. I think I did notice when I got 2010 that I didn't see one..

I didn't think I set the falloff in the portal lights but it was because I thought they automatically fell off due to FG. I'll check that parameter.

Thanks alot,

a5
watch the game starts after you accept the part, to redirect your mind.
--n.O.[SP]

User avatar
rray
Moderator
Posts: 1810
Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
Location: Bonn, Germany

Re: interior

Post by rray » 20 Aug 2010, 19:01

This is what I got off smart.scn, only thing I did was I removed the falloff and increased fg settings to maximum (2000,40) and diffuse bounces to 5.

Still some blotchiness coming in from the side into the view, strange thing. But ok otherwise. What I think it could be you had in your last picture was a corrupt fgmap file.

Image
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026

a5'
Posts: 66
Joined: 13 Dec 2009, 20:53
Location: hampton,nj

Re: interior

Post by a5' » 20 Aug 2010, 19:20

rray wrote:This is what I got off smart.scn, only thing I did was I removed the falloff and increased fg settings to maximum (2000,40) and diffuse bounces to 5.

Still some blotchiness coming in from the side into the view, strange thing. But ok otherwise. What I think it could be you had in your last picture was a corrupt fgmap file.


That makes a lot of sense, I've been working on the scene today and gotten somewhere but its taking forever to render.


I'll try that out.

Thanks,

a5
watch the game starts after you accept the part, to redirect your mind.
--n.O.[SP]

a5'
Posts: 66
Joined: 13 Dec 2009, 20:53
Location: hampton,nj

Re: interior

Post by a5' » 21 Aug 2010, 04:43

Well, I spent most of the day trying to get the scene I was working on to work and then some more time with the smart scn after I changed some things it started to take a while to render again.

what did you mean by 'removed the falloff', it looks to me like the FG falloff is off?

anyway Thanks for your help, I'm going to continue with that scene. Much faster.
smrt.jpg
I suspect though that there is another solution for those smokey blotchy things, aside from turning up the FG values.

-----

I'm sorry I forgot how much information they had given me on xsibase a while back about this same scene.

http://www.xsibase.com/netview_forum/index.php?board=16;action=display;threadid=40903

I think, according to Lupin, it was possibly a smoothing error. I have to get back into that thread.

sorry for possibly wasting your time

thanks,

a5
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
watch the game starts after you accept the part, to redirect your mind.
--n.O.[SP]