Lagoa Teaser from Thiago Costa
-
owei
- Administrator
- Posts: 840
- Joined: 03 Jun 2009, 15:25
- Location: Siegen/Germany
Lagoa Teaser from Thiago Costa
Great stuff from Thiago!
cheers,
oliver
cheers,
oliver
Founder of www.si-community.com
http://www.pixelpanic.de
http://www.pixelpanic.de
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Lagoa Teaser from Thiago Costa
Looks great, obviously.
Let's see, what Thiago is going to ask for all these goodies price-wise.
(By which I don't want to suggest it should be free,
merely that for me personally to be able to purchase it, it shouldn't cost too much...
)
Let's see, what Thiago is going to ask for all these goodies price-wise.
(By which I don't want to suggest it should be free,
merely that for me personally to be able to purchase it, it shouldn't cost too much...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
druitre
- Posts: 471
- Joined: 25 Jun 2009, 21:35
Re: Lagoa Teaser from Thiago Costa
I'm just hoping it works under 7.0.1...
it looks amazing!
it looks amazing!
-
redmotion
- Posts: 150
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 16:38
- Location: London
Re: Lagoa Teaser from Thiago Costa
Definitely the most convincing ICE-based physics I've seen. Looks like it gives houdini a run for its money. Maybe even realflow.
Just need someone to write some decent shaders for this sort of thing now.
Just need someone to write some decent shaders for this sort of thing now.
-
Rez007
- Posts: 609
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
- Location: Nevada
Re: Lagoa Teaser from Thiago Costa
It would be nice if Autodesk wises up and just buys it to put into Softimage.
Co-Founder/Co-Owner 2GMG (2 Guys Making Games)
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Lagoa Teaser from Thiago Costa
...thereby effectively killing off any further development...
No, I think Thiago Costa gives the friendly folk @ Softimage one thing less
to worry about themselves, hopefully they spend this extra time wisely... ;)
No, I think Thiago Costa gives the friendly folk @ Softimage one thing less
to worry about themselves, hopefully they spend this extra time wisely... ;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Rez007
- Posts: 609
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
- Location: Nevada
Re: Lagoa Teaser from Thiago Costa
What I meant by that was to not just buy the product but also acquire Costa as part of the development team. Since it seems like Autodesk is really trying to push ICE as the main feature of Softimage, it would really be nice to have this type of a system natively integrated, and developed further. This is amazing as it is now, but it can really be a shinning moment for Softimage if acquired and handled properly.
Co-Founder/Co-Owner 2GMG (2 Guys Making Games)
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Lagoa Teaser from Thiago Costa
Well, as Thiago Costa claims on the Mailing List this has been a "personal research project" for somewhat more than two years, having nothing to do with Hybride or Ubisoft (his current employer AFAIK),
this man doesn't need a new employer, he just needs more spare time...
Great things do often evolve out of personal projects, whereas IMHO actual jobs in the same field often stifle creativity ever so slightly...
this man doesn't need a new employer, he just needs more spare time...
Great things do often evolve out of personal projects, whereas IMHO actual jobs in the same field often stifle creativity ever so slightly...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Rez007
- Posts: 609
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
- Location: Nevada
Re: Lagoa Teaser from Thiago Costa
Oh I agree...
I meant Costa doesn't need Autodesk, but rather Autodesk needs Costa.
I meant Costa doesn't need Autodesk, but rather Autodesk needs Costa.
Co-Founder/Co-Owner 2GMG (2 Guys Making Games)
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
-
gman
- Posts: 47
- Joined: 12 Jul 2010, 21:59
Re: Lagoa Teaser from Thiago Costa
How long would you guess before we get our hand on this?
I hope it cost no more that £100. I couldn't afford much more.
But It has blown my mind!.
I hope it cost no more that £100. I couldn't afford much more.
But It has blown my mind!.
-
dwigfor
- Posts: 395
- Joined: 17 Nov 2009, 16:46
Re: Lagoa Teaser from Thiago Costa
Obrigado!
I can't wait till ICE can generate geometry.. It will be truely amazing once these guys (Thiago and all you other brilliant ICE developers) get their hands on it.
It blows my mind how this is all created from basic math nodes....
I can't wait till ICE can generate geometry.. It will be truely amazing once these guys (Thiago and all you other brilliant ICE developers) get their hands on it.
It blows my mind how this is all created from basic math nodes....
-
Gabba
- Posts: 35
- Joined: 18 Apr 2010, 12:31
Re: Lagoa Teaser from Thiago Costa
Simply, simply, amazing... hope I can get it too!!!
-
redmotion
- Posts: 150
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 16:38
- Location: London
Re: Lagoa Teaser from Thiago Costa
Rather than buy Costa outright, Softimage would be better licensing part of this (if possible) and intergrating it into the next Softimage release. Like they did with UV unwrapper plugin (which is not complete). For example, you could just allow access to just preset materials in Softimage vanilla and retain the realtime material designer for the plugin license.
That would then leave Thiago free to develop the full plugin to its logical and euphoric conclusion, while being part funded by both the full plugin purchasers and Autodesk. Autodesk gets to add some eye-popping ICE nodes to announce with the next Softimage release and Thiago's Lagoa gets some major PR while remaining independent. Everyone wins.
That would then leave Thiago free to develop the full plugin to its logical and euphoric conclusion, while being part funded by both the full plugin purchasers and Autodesk. Autodesk gets to add some eye-popping ICE nodes to announce with the next Softimage release and Thiago's Lagoa gets some major PR while remaining independent. Everyone wins.
-
redmotion
- Posts: 150
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 16:38
- Location: London
Re: Lagoa Teaser from Thiago Costa
Interesting to see that Lagoa may already be part of the next Softimage release...? Or at least the new 2011 premium entertainment suite...
If I read the news item at the link below rightly, it looks like Softimage is being "sidelined" as a major Autodesk 3d application and id being included with Max or Maya PREMIUM Entertainment Suites as an addon application like Mudbox.
http://www.cgchannel.com/2010/07/autode ... -siggraph/
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/in ... eID=123112
http://area.autodesk.com/userdata/stati ... remium.pdf
I just hope we'll still be able to buy Softimage as a seperate app in the distant future...
If I read the news item at the link below rightly, it looks like Softimage is being "sidelined" as a major Autodesk 3d application and id being included with Max or Maya PREMIUM Entertainment Suites as an addon application like Mudbox.
http://www.cgchannel.com/2010/07/autode ... -siggraph/
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/in ... eID=123112
http://area.autodesk.com/userdata/stati ... remium.pdf
I just hope we'll still be able to buy Softimage as a seperate app in the distant future...
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Lagoa Teaser from Thiago Costa
Another nice quote from the ICE-SPH-forums, by someone "named" Mark Schoennagel:

Lets just say very soon everyone who has Softimage will be getting Lagoa for free.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
gman
- Posts: 47
- Joined: 12 Jul 2010, 21:59
Re: Lagoa Teaser from Thiago Costa
Hirazi ,you may already know this but Mark Schoennagel works at autodesk, softimage team.