
Softimage to Thea Render
-
SamHowell
- Posts: 364
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 12:09
- Location: Birmingham
Softimage to Thea Render
Just for fun. A Sad Robot. Modeled in Softimage and rendered in Thea. I used the new export plugin to transfer the model. If any of you havn't tried Thea yet, I can't recomend it enough. Very easy to pick up and very powerfull.


Last edited by SamHowell on 15 Feb 2011, 10:52, edited 2 times in total.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
-
opentarget
- Posts: 129
- Joined: 21 Jul 2009, 14:21
- Location: Dublin, Ireland
Re: Sad Robot
how cute, lighting is very nice and tactile.
may have to give thea a look.
may have to give thea a look.
-
martyd9109
- Posts: 6
- Joined: 22 Dec 2010, 02:38
- Skype: martydmac
Re: Sad Robot
Very nice work. I like the heart falling out of his chest. That really helps communicate his mood (I am guessing it is a he). The way that the eyes are downward looking also adds to the mood. Fine job.
Marty D.
Health
Health
-
SamHowell
- Posts: 364
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 12:09
- Location: Birmingham
Re: Softimage to Thea Render
Just for fun, an image for a friends birthday invite.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: Softimage to Thea Render
Lovely... ;)
You could probably have given the floor and the background a color considered more festive, but that's just nitpicking, I guess...
You could probably have given the floor and the background a color considered more festive, but that's just nitpicking, I guess...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Zafar Iqbal
- Moderator
- Posts: 169
- Joined: 26 Oct 2009, 09:04
Re: Softimage to Thea Render
Looks very nice - how are the rendertimes? And how is the workflow - model/animate in XSI and materials+lighting+rendering in Thea?
- Zafar Iqbal
-
SamHowell
- Posts: 364
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 12:09
- Location: Birmingham
Re: Softimage to Thea Render
Well this picture was rendered at around 2048k for print and I was doing some other work at the same time so it only had a small part of my system resources. It took around 2 hours on a HP Z400 Workstation (Intel Xeon 3.07GHz, 12GB RAM).
Thea Render is a dream to work with. It's such a breath fresh air after struggling with Mental Ray for years. It is not node based and has a completely different approach to shader creation. It is geared towards real world values and physics (probably why it is mainly used by arch-vis guys) and uses more of a layering workflow. This may sound simplistic but it allows you to get what you want with a minimum of effort. It is definately a tool for artists.
The export plugin is still being developed but will export mesh and camera objects no problem. Animation export is restricted to translate and rotate at the moment. I have been doing shape animation in Thea by exporting a file per frame and then rendering the sequence in Thea. Motion blur has to be done is post.
I've done a few animations here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1023
Thea Render is a dream to work with. It's such a breath fresh air after struggling with Mental Ray for years. It is not node based and has a completely different approach to shader creation. It is geared towards real world values and physics (probably why it is mainly used by arch-vis guys) and uses more of a layering workflow. This may sound simplistic but it allows you to get what you want with a minimum of effort. It is definately a tool for artists.
The export plugin is still being developed but will export mesh and camera objects no problem. Animation export is restricted to translate and rotate at the moment. I have been doing shape animation in Thea by exporting a file per frame and then rendering the sequence in Thea. Motion blur has to be done is post.
I've done a few animations here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1023