I'm trying to write a plug-in for softimage. Plugin uses data from an OSM file and transfers it to the XSI in the form of 3D objects. This is the first thing I've done so far.OSM to Si
Plugins linking to this thread: (hide)
OSM to Si updated March 2025 — A set of ICE tree nodes to open OSM (Open Street Map) files and convert them to geometry.
Imports features such as buildings, streets and trees and has a number of conversion
options, for example for building height etc.
See the si-community thread for example renders. From the zip's readme: installation : put in a similar directory: c:/Users/Alex/Autodesk/Softimage_2015_R2-SP2/Application/Plugins/nt-x86-64/osm_to_si_19
If you need compounds, place the OSM_to_Si folder in a similar directory: c:/Users/Alex/Autodesk/Softimage_2015_R2-SP2/Data/Compounds
The weld vertex function is quite slow, so you should not use it on large objects.
You can download the OSM map here: https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/55.40032/43.83536 (limited number of nodes) / http://extract.bbbike.org/ (unlimited number of nodes)
Description of osm tags: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_features
height map: https://tangrams.github.io/heightmapper/#12.08/55.3418/44.0386
local backup: osm_to_si_v.1.02_3.04.2025.zip
See the si-community thread for example renders. From the zip's readme: installation : put in a similar directory: c:/Users/Alex/Autodesk/Softimage_2015_R2-SP2/Application/Plugins/nt-x86-64/osm_to_si_19
If you need compounds, place the OSM_to_Si folder in a similar directory: c:/Users/Alex/Autodesk/Softimage_2015_R2-SP2/Data/Compounds
The weld vertex function is quite slow, so you should not use it on large objects.
You can download the OSM map here: https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/55.40032/43.83536 (limited number of nodes) / http://extract.bbbike.org/ (unlimited number of nodes)
Description of osm tags: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_features
height map: https://tangrams.github.io/heightmapper/#12.08/55.3418/44.0386
local backup: osm_to_si_v.1.02_3.04.2025.zip
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Re: OSM to Si
great! and nice to see a little activity around XSI again these days
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026
-
mr_alca
- Posts: 18
- Joined: 07 Mar 2018, 16:15
Re: OSM to Si
Added height for buildings and roofs for them. Next up is adding tags.

-
mr_alca
- Posts: 18
- Joined: 07 Mar 2018, 16:15
Re: OSM to Si
Some progress. Adding processing of paths and trails. Initially, I wanted to design them as Curves, but realized that when processing large areas, it would take too long. So I'm doing the implementation on the strands.

-
scon
- Posts: 8
- Joined: 13 Jan 2025, 12:33
Re: OSM to Si
Great work. Currently I'm too busy on a project, but I'm curious to test it after that. Looks very good to me. I have checked some of the OSM data sets publicly available. They are humonguesly big at parts.
-
mr_alca
- Posts: 18
- Joined: 07 Mar 2018, 16:15
Re: OSM to Si
1 Added a custom tag. Now you can enter the tag manually. 2 Added such a thing as the number of floors, for the possibility of throwing windows on houses.

-
mr_alca
- Posts: 18
- Joined: 07 Mar 2018, 16:15
Re: OSM to Si
I did everything I wanted. This version of the plugin has 3 nodes: "OSM multipolygon" for polygonal objects, "OSM curve" for paths and "OSM point" for single point positions.
You can download it here.
The archive contains the plugin itself, a test scene and a couple of test osm cards.

You can download it here.
The archive contains the plugin itself, a test scene and a couple of test osm cards.

-
mr_alca
- Posts: 18
- Joined: 07 Mar 2018, 16:15
Re: OSM to Si

A bird's-eye view of the city. Almost all the data is taken from OSM.
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Re: OSM to Si
looking really good, now I see why it was an ICE tree node and not just an importer
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026
-
mr_alca
- Posts: 18
- Joined: 07 Mar 2018, 16:15
Re: OSM to Si
Thanks for the feedback.
This is probably the final release of my plugin. While working on the night city scene, I realized that I lacked information on the existing tags in the OSM file. And I added the OSM info node. I also added the ability to disable the creation of walls. And I slightly reworked the test scene.
The plugin is here:

This is probably the final release of my plugin. While working on the night city scene, I realized that I lacked information on the existing tags in the OSM file. And I added the OSM info node. I also added the ability to disable the creation of walls. And I slightly reworked the test scene.
The plugin is here:

-
3DTutorial
- Posts: 66
- Joined: 12 Sep 2009, 19:59
- Location: New Jersey, USA
Re: OSM to Si
Wow! Very impressive mr_alca. Thanks for all your efforts, it's really wonderful to see !
Cheers,
Joe
Cheers,
Joe
-
mr_alca
- Posts: 18
- Joined: 07 Mar 2018, 16:15
Re: OSM to Si
Thank you. I thought the previous release was the final one, but then I wanted to play with the heights of the buildings. It will be possible to change the height of buildings using weightmap or just randomly. I also found some minor inaccuracies in the Info node. They will also need to be fixed.


-
mr_alca
- Posts: 18
- Joined: 07 Mar 2018, 16:15
Re: OSM to Si
Minor improvements and changes. I adjusted the Info node a bit. And he added the ability to change the heights of buildings depending on the height map, either randomly or both. You can also now set the position of buildings by y position.
I also designed several compounds, they are in the archive, so that they appear together with other nodes, the OSM_to_Si_compounds folder must be placed in a similar directory:
c:\Users\Alex\Autodesk\Softimage_2015_R2-SP2\Data\Compounds\
Link to plugin here:

I also designed several compounds, they are in the archive, so that they appear together with other nodes, the OSM_to_Si_compounds folder must be placed in a similar directory:
c:\Users\Alex\Autodesk\Softimage_2015_R2-SP2\Data\Compounds\
Link to plugin here:

-
3DTutorial
- Posts: 66
- Joined: 12 Sep 2009, 19:59
- Location: New Jersey, USA
Re: OSM to Si
Very nice ! Thanks for the update.