Hi,
I wasn't sure if the shown vectors or Ice trees were from the mesh or the PointCloud,
and were these visualized vectors in the default "vector trails" mode ?
Also, first I thought you wanted to set the direction and perhaps velocity of particles, and maybe it was ?

( the closer is the sphere to the grid, the slower is the velocity of emitted particles )
Otherwise, about negating vectors, switching subtraction order is the same as negating after,
and in the following I used whichever order that matched your Houdini clip visually
I also used the "Set Normal" compound from EM-topololizer to set the "UserNormals" attribute,
( overrides native normals for non-subD-ed meshes )
So both the grid and the asteroid get their normal orientation from the closest point on the animated sphere
and then the cone particles get the resulting "userNormals" attribute from the "asteroid" to set their orientations.
I used normals, because that's what was shown in your presentation,
( if it was important, and to show that it could be done )
but we could also have have set an arbitrary vector attribute , and get that instead of the "UserNormals".
PointCloud Tree
"Adteroid" tree
bumpy sphere with same tree in the Sim as in the Modeling Stack, otherwise UserNormals would not update in time
And here's the scene if you want,
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/k4vrryci ... 2wyjz&dl=1
and let me know how that fits !
Cheers,