Hi all,
I'm having some trouble with GI. If I try to render several frames with GI, or just regions to test - it seems to leave the photon maps in memory and fill it up until XSI crashes. Is there a way to prevent this? I already checked all the boxes in preferences for "empty rendering cache", but it seems to have no effect.
I'm using 7.01
Thanks!
GI fills memory?
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: GI fills memory?
What kind of graphics card are you using?
Could it be this or a similar ATI related memory leak?
Could it be this or a similar ATI related memory leak?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
wannabeArtist
- Posts: 98
- Joined: 10 Jun 2009, 06:34
- Location: Finland
Re: GI fills memory?
Hi,
This machine has NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT, so it's not an ATI card.
But can the graphics card be related here - I mean it's the main memory of the machine that gets filled up - all 8 GB of it!
This machine has NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT, so it's not an ATI card.
But can the graphics card be related here - I mean it's the main memory of the machine that gets filled up - all 8 GB of it!
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: GI fills memory?
Okay, that was simply the first thing that came into my mind concerning any kind of memory leak.
I will do a more thorough search and hopefully get back to you...
edit: you're sure it's GI related. Rendering without GI doesn't cause the crash?
I will do a more thorough search and hopefully get back to you...
edit: you're sure it's GI related. Rendering without GI doesn't cause the crash?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
wannabeArtist
- Posts: 98
- Joined: 10 Jun 2009, 06:34
- Location: Finland
Re: GI fills memory?
Thanks,
I will also post here, if I figure it out on my own.
I'm pretty sure it's related to GI, I'm working with the "fire project" and there's quite a lot of photons involved. Few frames come out ok, but the photon maps accumulate in memory and after a while it crashes.
I am not sure, however, if I have messed something up in the render configuration to cause this. It could be a user error
I will also post here, if I figure it out on my own.
I'm pretty sure it's related to GI, I'm working with the "fire project" and there's quite a lot of photons involved. Few frames come out ok, but the photon maps accumulate in memory and after a while it crashes.
I am not sure, however, if I have messed something up in the render configuration to cause this. It could be a user error
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: GI fills memory?
Does your crashes shutdown XSI immediately or do you get some kind of error message from XSI before it goes?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
wannabeArtist
- Posts: 98
- Joined: 10 Jun 2009, 06:34
- Location: Finland
Re: GI fills memory?
Well, it just freezes and gives me the hourglass (or the weird torus thing Windows uses now). After a while Windows wants to kill it, because XSI process is using something like 99% of memory.
I haven't tested rendering actual passes today, only regions, I will see if I get the same behavior later today, when I try to render a sequence.
I haven't tested rendering actual passes today, only regions, I will see if I get the same behavior later today, when I try to render a sequence.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: GI fills memory?
What happens, if you try to render the scene using XSIBatch?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
wannabeArtist
- Posts: 98
- Joined: 10 Jun 2009, 06:34
- Location: Finland
Re: GI fills memory?
Thanks for the tip,
Must try that also. I actually changed to IRP in this particular (fire) project - it turned out to be much faster than with the photons and no memory problems either.
Must try that also. I actually changed to IRP in this particular (fire) project - it turned out to be much faster than with the photons and no memory problems either.