Evenly spaced ICE Particles pick up color from image.

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
Joung Art
Posts: 10
Joined: 11 May 2010, 14:30

Evenly spaced ICE Particles pick up color from image.

Post by Joung Art » 11 May 2010, 14:54

Evenly spaced ICE Particles pick up color from image. Like a pixel effect.

I want to break up an image in pixels. The particles should be emitted as ordered grid. And they should pick up the color from their location on a texture map.

I have a 'Generate Sample Set' node and an 'Add Point' node and can generate particles from each vertex of the surface mesh. That give me geometric order.

With 'Particle Emit Location', 'Get Texture Map Color', 'Set Data' nodes I am also able to color the particles with the image map on the mesh.

Problem is, it generates a new set of particles every frame. I would like to generate just one set and then stop. And animate just that set, let it drop to the floor for example. I can't find a way to stop the 'Generate Sample Set' and 'Add Point' node from making new particles.

I tried it with a filter on the 'Generate Sample Set' node that would stop generating the samples when the amount of particles equals the amount of vertices. But the filter is being created on an ICE tree which resides on the Emitter surface itself and not on the separate point cloud which generates the particles. I was trying to use the 'Get Pointcloud.ID' node to see that. But it seems it can not look into the ice tree of point cloud.

Maybe I am doing it all wrong.

I also tried another way with 'Get Point Position' and 'Emit Position nodes'. There I can emit just one set of particles but I did not succeed coloring them with the texture map.

I would appreciate it if somebody could help me along. Thanks.

User avatar
ace63
Posts: 176
Joined: 07 Jun 2009, 10:30

Re: Evenly spaced ICE Particles pick up color from image.

Post by ace63 » 11 May 2010, 15:24

Did you try plugging your Add Point into the 'if false' port of an if node and setting something like particlecount > 0 as the condition for the if node?

Joung Art
Posts: 10
Joined: 11 May 2010, 14:30

Re: Evenly spaced ICE Particles pick up color from image.

Post by Joung Art » 11 May 2010, 15:59

Wow ace63 that worked. Thanks so much. Sometimes I am really dense.

More evidence of more of my density is, I am sure, that the particles don't want to fall although I have 'Simulate Particle', 'Gravity Force', 'Add Force' nodes plugged in. I also assign mass to the particles in 'on creation' in the 'Add point' node. The particles just march straight out.

Joung Art
Posts: 10
Joined: 11 May 2010, 14:30

Re: Evenly spaced ICE Particles pick up color from image.

Post by Joung Art » 11 May 2010, 16:09

Yes really dense. I had the Simulate Particles node plugged in above the Add Forces node. Other way around works.