Discussions regarding modelling with SOFTIMAGE©
-
3DMagic
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 10:09
- Skype: emiliano.grimaldi
Post
by 3DMagic » 29 Jun 2017, 12:09
Hello guys,
I'm modeling a plane and I was wondering if any of you have suggestion on my polygon flow mesh.
I'm allowed to have triangles.
Thank you for any feedback

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Grubber
- Posts: 165
- Joined: 22 Jun 2009, 19:11
- Location: Vilnius, Lithuania
Post
by Grubber » 29 Jun 2017, 16:04
Hey there!
Is this going to be subdivided? Or maybe it is for a game?
-
3DMagic
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 10:09
- Skype: emiliano.grimaldi
Post
by 3DMagic » 29 Jun 2017, 16:06
It is for a game.
-
mc_axe
- Posts: 420
- Joined: 12 Mar 2013, 17:44
Post
by mc_axe » 29 Jun 2017, 21:51
First your model looks nice!
Then.. what can you change..uhm.. maybe you could change the endings of the wings it looks now like the top part of a sphere (lot of lines ending in one point):
Maybe you can do:
If you are not interested anymore in equal distribution and you need to just optimize your model for a real time game, meaning that you just want to drop the polycount without affecting shape, you can start deleting entire loops that dont affect the shape at all(are between completle str8 edges **if any) or delete parts of a loop with that characteristic, triangles will come really handy to reconect with the sourounding components.
-
3DMagic
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 10:09
- Skype: emiliano.grimaldi
Post
by 3DMagic » 30 Jun 2017, 10:34
Thank you MC_Axe for your feedback, I really appreciate it.
The polycount is quite low, it is about 10.000 and I'm allowed to go up to 50.000, but I will need to do also the inside of the cockpit at a later stage.
I've modeled the tip of the wing as you suggested, I will make the rings more distantiated between each other and I may add more edges so that the curve is more natural.
I'll get back to you with other parts of the model that I think can be improved, maybe you can give me some tips

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Draise
- Posts: 894
- Joined: 09 Oct 2012, 18:48
- Skype: ondraise
- Location: Colombia
Post
by Draise » 30 Jun 2017, 13:52
As always, you blow my mind with the topology tips MCAxe, and great model 3D Magic!
-
3DMagic
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 10:09
- Skype: emiliano.grimaldi
Post
by 3DMagic » 03 Jul 2017, 17:00
Thank you Draise!
MC AXE how would you solve the polygons below?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
mc_axe
- Posts: 420
- Joined: 12 Mar 2013, 17:44
Post
by mc_axe » 03 Jul 2017, 18:51
Hello, if those "vertical" lines are on a flat surface (it looks like but not sure) then you could:
remove red ones
add yelow

-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Post
by rray » 03 Jul 2017, 19:55
Good tips, you could also try adding another ring of edges around the hole to improve automatic normal computation (in case you don't use a object space normal map in which case topology isn't so important)
-
3DMagic
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 10:09
- Skype: emiliano.grimaldi
Post
by 3DMagic » 04 Jul 2017, 20:46
MC Axe and RRay,
I've added the suggested edges and also a loop around the hole.

is that correct? I couldn't remove the edges on the bottom because is geometry that I need.
What about this other close up?
Thank you for the help!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Post
by rray » 05 Jul 2017, 13:21
Both looking good, if it looks smooth without the wires (and some specular hightlights visible just for testing) then it's correct.
For the air intake object and the other small sticking out parts I'd probably just have it not connected to the body's polygons at all, but just have it intersecting. This way it won't affect the plane body's normals. But that might be a matter of personal preference.
-
3DMagic
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 10:09
- Skype: emiliano.grimaldi
Post
by 3DMagic » 06 Jul 2017, 09:15
Hi Rray,
I've removed the sticking cylinder from the fuselage and made it's own mesh.
I'm adding two renders, and I'm getting some small artifacts here and there, have a look.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
3DMagic
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 10:09
- Skype: emiliano.grimaldi
Post
by 3DMagic » 28 Jul 2017, 17:52
An update...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Post
by rray » 29 Jul 2017, 13:03
Looking good. Almost impossible to notice it's not a highpoly model.
-
mc_axe
- Posts: 420
- Joined: 12 Mar 2013, 17:44
Post
by mc_axe » 29 Jul 2017, 17:45
Nice, Italian airforce rdy to fly :]
Wandering what is your plan for the cockpit
Is this for a flight combat simulator?
-
3DMagic
- Posts: 23
- Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 10:09
- Skype: emiliano.grimaldi
Post
by 3DMagic » 31 Jul 2017, 11:34
Thank you RRay!!!
I need to model the cockpit separately and I will do so in the following days.
Yes the plane is for War Thunder, need to see if they will accept the plane at the end.