Abstract art - Tim Borgmann & ICE

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
zokonaden
Posts: 2
Joined: 06 May 2010, 10:09

Abstract art - Tim Borgmann & ICE

Post by zokonaden » 06 May 2010, 10:31

Hi,

This may be an odd request/discussion and maybe I am not in a position to ask/start this, due to only really being intermediate with XSI and haven't really been able to follow XSI much since XSI 7. Anyway it's worth a shot and i hope to get some useful advice at the very least if I'm lucky.

As far as i know Tim Borgmann made the splash/promotional logo for when XSI was launched with it's new feature ICE. I also recently visited his website again to see if he had made some new artwork and to my pleasure he has made some new amazing pieces (if you like abstract art that is).

Link to most recent gallery:
http://art.bt-3d.de/experimental/index.html

I really like once piece which is this one http://art.bt-3d.de/experimental/em-shape02106.html and this brings me to my request.

While I'm well aware one just doesn't make such without effort and knowledge. I'm very much curious as to how the different things were achieved/made. I'd love to see some talented people from here make something similar, while describing some the things they do. Whether it's with videos, screenshots, text or a combination of all, that would be very interesting for me to read,study.

Anyway I'm sure it's a bit of an odd request, and everyone have things they need to do that are more important than some strangers request.

Despite i never got a chance to look much into ICE, so my knowledge is almost equal 0, i assume the specific picture i mentioned is made with Strands, and probably many other wonderful tools in XSI.

Thank you for reading this and I'll appreciate any response or advice where else i might have success asking such a question as this, if this is not the right place.

User avatar
Hirazi Blue
Administrator
Posts: 5113
Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15

Re: Abstract art - Tim Borgmann & ICE

Post by Hirazi Blue » 06 May 2010, 10:58

While I can't help you out here, I do want to mention,
that, if I recall correctly, according to mr. Tim Borgmann himself,
speaking at the German Softimage Community,
the classic XSI 7 splash screen was made WITHOUT any ICE involved... :D

That said: you're right - but we've been saying it all along - more tutorials are wanted,
at the moment finding someone willing to actually create them is the main problem... :-
Stay safe, sane & healthy!

User avatar
Maximus
Posts: 1121
Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 13:45

Re: Abstract art - Tim Borgmann & ICE

Post by Maximus » 06 May 2010, 12:12

he made time ago a tutorial about the nvidia splash wich you can check here:

http://features.cgsociety.org/story_cus ... ry_id=4330

basically he explains a bit his technique, he was usual to use Realsoft 3D to produce metallic filament and shaders, its a powerful program but kinda hard to use, at least for myself and a bit old :)
Now i think he's using ICE and those are indeed strands, i think he uses many techniques but what you can clearly see from his works is the talent and the fantasy he got, wich is mostly personal, most images are awesome and can reach with few tools and not so hard technically, what is hard is match his creative style wich is unique :)

I love borgmann works really. Hope this helps a bit
Last edited by Maximus on 06 May 2010, 14:02, edited 1 time in total.

craft
Posts: 107
Joined: 02 Jan 2010, 23:40
Location: Portugal

Re: Abstract art - Tim Borgmann & ICE

Post by craft » 06 May 2010, 13:37

yes. no ice on that. but ice can do a lot of amasing stuff in the fields of abstraction. take a look around vimeo. there's a lot of amazing works there. you can start here if it helps: http://www.vimeo.com/3600475 ; http://www.vimeo.com/5285982 ; http://www.vimeo.com/8423434)

as said, the man uses a lot of tools, in and out of xsi. I remember in the end one of the things he was good at was with the shading.
here's a nice app i like to play around with: xenodream. i'd like to put my hands on Substance3d but it's off my priorities right now. here's something i modelled with TopMod and then transfered as .obj, to get you started. (you can definitely see shaders becoming a problem in them):
6.4 goa trance-1024x682.jpg
6.5 goa trance-1024x682.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

zokonaden
Posts: 2
Joined: 06 May 2010, 10:09

Re: Abstract art - Tim Borgmann & ICE

Post by zokonaden » 08 May 2010, 16:14

Ty everyone for the responses, I'm going to look at those videos and google around to try find more things to inspire myself too, I do believe i have a fairly decent imagination and creativity, but i do always love being inspired by great artist such as Tim.

Btw Xenodreams looks intersting too.