I was wondering this at the very beginning and still do

Discussions regarding modelling with SOFTIMAGE©
wesserbro
Posts: 177
Joined: 27 Oct 2012, 16:05

I was wondering this at the very beginning and still do

Post by wesserbro » 07 Nov 2016, 14:58

Is there a way in any software or plugin to force subdivision surface points to lie on another object? I dont know, maybe some fancy recursive algorithm which tries to push points slightly back and forth on each iteration probing if SubD object conforms more to underlying object...
I've tried TurboReverse plugin for 3dsmax, reversing freezed and shrinkwrapped subd, but result are not good. it only works well with freezed subd without any modifications.
Regular push is also not suitable, because i'm trying to end up with really low-poly, easy-to-modify subD cage as a retopo stage.

User avatar
rray
Moderator
Posts: 1810
Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
Location: Bonn, Germany

Re: I was wondering this at the very beginning and still do

Post by rray » 07 Nov 2016, 18:05

This would be really useful, but haven't seen it yet, except saw some papers on it like this one:

http://www.multires.caltech.edu/pubs/fitting.pdf

What works sometimes as an approximation is if you smooth the mesh a little and then set extrapolate to -1 in the smooth op's properties.
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026

wesserbro
Posts: 177
Joined: 27 Oct 2012, 16:05

Re: I was wondering this at the very beginning and still do

Post by wesserbro » 07 Nov 2016, 18:32

Saw that paper, but thought it was about some kind of multiresolution tech.
That negative extrapolation trick looks very interesting, thank rray!