EricTRocks wrote:Hi jonmoore,
Would be interested to hear the types of things that would improve the system for you.
Best.
The feedback I get from less technical artists is best summed up by "Fabric Engine needs to be more like ICE".
As flippant as that sounds (and I'm sure it's something you hear often) I think one of the things that helped a lot of non technical artists delve deeper into ICE was the manner in which ICE became the main interface with Softimage's particles system. Abstracted compounds are difficult for non technical artists to get their head around but a collection of compounds that help make a defined workflow more flexible are far more approachable and inviting. The DCC neutral aspect of FE probably complicates this a little but something I'd love to see is Eric Mootz's XSI Plugins live on within FE. A particles system with built in elements of emFlock and emTopolizer is something I think many artists would find approachable (and willing to pay for). It's hard to define what it is about particles systems that makes them less technical and more approachable as a nodal workflow but I think it has something to do with making the abstract of vector math more immediate and real. Once you get artists comfortable with working with compounds with a real and immediate outcome they're more likely to delve deeper in an attempt to understand how the compound achieves it's goals.
I'm constantly astonished regarding the amazing things that Fabric Engine is helping realize in the hands of talented technical artists. The knitting system put together by the team at Psyop was a particular fave from your recent Siggraph showcase. But I think FE needs to ship with content akin to a plugin/s, that exists to solve a particular creative goals. I have a personal preference for it to be particles based but it could be a point renderer like Fury or a character design tool such as Species. What it is is less important that it being a defined something that solves a particular creative goal. Whilst technical artists see FE as a something akin to an enormous set of Lego Technic, less technical artists want the model of the Millennium Falcon to be pre built so they can take it apart and rebuild it.
I better stop now as this is beginning to sound like a bit of a ramble but hopefully you get the gist of what I'm saying.
