Hello,
I'm curious to know what rendering formats people often use ? I usually just stick to .pic
But when I have color banding issues, I usually change the input data in the FX Tree to 16-bit or Float and that fixes things.
I'm still confused however, because when you look at the Edit settings in the Render Manager, you don't have any option besides RGBA and 8-bit for .pic formats.
So I'm curious to know how it still manages to fix the color banding when in post, considering that .pic only gives the option for 8-bit.
Would appreciate some input on this matter.
Thanks,
Jason
8-bit , 16-bit and Float
-
kiwimation
- Posts: 61
- Joined: 11 Jun 2009, 03:21
Re: 8-bit , 16-bit and Float
I comp normally with AE, For most renders I will render out to .png 8bit. For anything that causes banding issues I render them out to 16bit tif.
Seams to work well for me and gives a nice balance on file sizes.
Seams to work well for me and gives a nice balance on file sizes.
-
Rork
- Posts: 1359
- Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
- Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands
Re: 8-bit , 16-bit and Float
I always render everything in half float exr's.
They're quite small most of the time, and you keep full color control until your final comp (e.g. Nuke or Fusion) is rendered out to a videoclip or sequence.
rob
They're quite small most of the time, and you keep full color control until your final comp (e.g. Nuke or Fusion) is rendered out to a videoclip or sequence.
rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
-
luceric
- Posts: 1252
- Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08
Re: 8-bit , 16-bit and Float
if you just convert the 8-bit .pic to 16-bit in the fxtree and write it back to 8-bit or 16 bit, obviously that has no effect.
However, if you convert it in the File Input, and then do color processing, then the processing will occur in 16-bit and be of higher precision and quality, even if you end up writing it back to 8-bit anyway.
However, if you convert it in the File Input, and then do color processing, then the processing will occur in 16-bit and be of higher precision and quality, even if you end up writing it back to 8-bit anyway.
-
xsi_fanatic
- Posts: 283
- Joined: 06 Jun 2011, 01:08
Re: 8-bit , 16-bit and Float
Thanks everyone for the feedback. These should be helpful in my current project.