Hello,
This is kind of a general question, but it also somewhat applies to Maya, so I thought this might be the most appropriate place to post.
I used to use the Autodesk Application Manager, which was a nice tool to get my downloads and updates. I've been working on some other projects in the meantime so, I was just waiting for the Application Manager to find "Maya 2016 Ext. 2" but it never did. The last install that I have shown is for Maya 2016 Ext. 1 w/SP6 and the accompanying Mental Ray update.
A few weeks ago, there was an update to this Application Manager and it is now called the Autodesk Desktop App. It is a nice and clean interface, but all it shows now for me is "Maya" and "No Updates Available." The new Desktop App doesn't show what version of Maya you have.... no "Maya 2016" or anything - just plain "Maya." In addition, it still did not pick up "Maya 2016 Ext. 2" as an install for me, nor does it show any previous installs that I have last made. The older version showed the version number and history, and if there was anything pending.
Is anyone else experiencing the same thing, and will the new Desktop App ever find "Maya 2016 Ext. 2" or does it not do that because this particular extension is set up more like a full version?
Thanks for the help.
Autodesk Desktop Application Question
-
Rez007
- Posts: 609
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
- Location: Nevada
Autodesk Desktop Application Question
Co-Founder/Co-Owner 2GMG (2 Guys Making Games)
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
-
Daniel Brassard
- Posts: 878
- Joined: 18 Mar 2010, 22:38
- Location: St. Thomas, Ontario
Re: Autodesk Desktop Application Question
I experience the same thing:
For Maya, the Application manager only report the Service Packs. I have to seek and download the Extension 1 and 2. I Think this is intentional as the extensions are for those on subscription but it would help if it would include the extensions for those on subscriptions.
Same thing for Max
Does not even report the service packs for Softimage, Mudbox, Motion Builder, etc. even if you have the "enhance package". I had to seek the service packs for Soft.
For Maya, the Application manager only report the Service Packs. I have to seek and download the Extension 1 and 2. I Think this is intentional as the extensions are for those on subscription but it would help if it would include the extensions for those on subscriptions.
Same thing for Max
Does not even report the service packs for Softimage, Mudbox, Motion Builder, etc. even if you have the "enhance package". I had to seek the service packs for Soft.
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif
-
Rez007
- Posts: 609
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
- Location: Nevada
Re: Autodesk Desktop Application Question
Hi Daniel. Thanks for the reply. I have "Maya with Softimage" and am on Maintenance Subscription too. Mine just shows Maya...doesn't even recognize Softimage, no icon for it or anything. I thought since Softimage was EOL'd that AD might have not built in that functionality to find it, or whatever it does.
I wonder if Softimage shows for you because of it being the Ultimate Suite? Idk...I liked the older version of the Application Manager a bit better.
Thanks.
I wonder if Softimage shows for you because of it being the Ultimate Suite? Idk...I liked the older version of the Application Manager a bit better.
Thanks.
Co-Founder/Co-Owner 2GMG (2 Guys Making Games)
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
-
Daniel Brassard
- Posts: 878
- Joined: 18 Mar 2010, 22:38
- Location: St. Thomas, Ontario
Re: Autodesk Desktop Application Question
Same thing, does not recognize Softimage and does not report any service packs. I do have the icon showing on my desktop.
I reorg my desktop often anyway, I like my desktop organized with as few icons as possible, I don't like visual clutter. On this matter, I follow the Japanese "Kanso" design principle.
I reorg my desktop often anyway, I like my desktop organized with as few icons as possible, I don't like visual clutter. On this matter, I follow the Japanese "Kanso" design principle.
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif
-
Rez007
- Posts: 609
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
- Location: Nevada
Re: Autodesk Desktop Application Question
Thanks. I have both the Maya and Softimage icon on my Desktop as well (Windows desktop). I was thinking you meant that you had it on the Autodesk Desktop Application showing in that program, that is where Softimage was missing for me. I see it is the same for you too. I guess it is good to know that I am not the only one experiencing this. It would be nice though if AD enhanced their new app a bit to show the different versions and such. Thanks for the help.
Co-Founder/Co-Owner 2GMG (2 Guys Making Games)
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
-
luceric
- Posts: 1252
- Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08
Re: Autodesk Desktop Application Question
are you logged in that app, with the correct account, so it can check the "subscription entitlement"?
-
Rez007
- Posts: 609
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
- Location: Nevada
Re: Autodesk Desktop Application Question
Hi Luceric, I do not know what you mean specifically by "subscription entitlement?" All I know is that I was using the normal Autodesk Application Manager, and it had an auto-update to the new Autodesk Desktop Application. All I did was update the old version which brought me to the new one. It found my Maya, but even after logging in, within that Desktop App (upper-right corner), it just says and gives the Maya icon (no version mentioned...just says Maya) and it has nothing for Softimage, which the old Application Manager didn't have anything for Softimage either.
That is all I did on my end, and per our previous talks, I am on the classic subs route. I have a ticket created with Support too, but I was just checking around to see if others were experiencing the same thing.
Thanks for the help.
That is all I did on my end, and per our previous talks, I am on the classic subs route. I have a ticket created with Support too, but I was just checking around to see if others were experiencing the same thing.
Thanks for the help.
Co-Founder/Co-Owner 2GMG (2 Guys Making Games)
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
-
luceric
- Posts: 1252
- Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08
Re: Autodesk Desktop Application Question
Well the principle of the previous updater app is that if you're logged in, it check the subscription status and suggest Maya extensions, otherwise it would just suggest services pack. That's what they call subscription entitlement. Do you have maya extension 2 already instated?
-
Rez007
- Posts: 609
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
- Location: Nevada
Re: Autodesk Desktop Application Question
Thanks for letting me know and that makes sense. For some reason with the new app, even when I am signed in, it does not find anything new for me. The last thing I have installed (via the older application manager) is Maya 2016 Ext. 1 SP6. After the launch of Extension 2, I was waiting for the older application manager to find the extension, but it never did, where everything before hand was found and installed perfectly, including the Mental Ray updates.
As I was waiting, the next current thing/notification was (via the Application Manager Icon itself) "there is an update for the Application Manager as it is being replaced." So I did that prompted update, which led to the new Desktop App being installed on its own. As far as I know, the only thing I have installed is still Maya 2016 Ext. 1 SP6, as the new desktop app does not show what version of Maya or anything else.
The short answer is, no, I do not have Ext. 2 installed yet as I was trying to troubleshoot why the app is not picking it up on its own.
Note: During the time of the Ext. 2 launch, I posted on the Autodesk forums about the older application manager not finding it. The person from Autodesk who responded to me said that there was as issue with the manager and they were looking into it. That was the last I heard, and then the new app rolled out to replace the manager.
Thanks for the help.
As I was waiting, the next current thing/notification was (via the Application Manager Icon itself) "there is an update for the Application Manager as it is being replaced." So I did that prompted update, which led to the new Desktop App being installed on its own. As far as I know, the only thing I have installed is still Maya 2016 Ext. 1 SP6, as the new desktop app does not show what version of Maya or anything else.
The short answer is, no, I do not have Ext. 2 installed yet as I was trying to troubleshoot why the app is not picking it up on its own.
Note: During the time of the Ext. 2 launch, I posted on the Autodesk forums about the older application manager not finding it. The person from Autodesk who responded to me said that there was as issue with the manager and they were looking into it. That was the last I heard, and then the new app rolled out to replace the manager.
Thanks for the help.
Co-Founder/Co-Owner 2GMG (2 Guys Making Games)
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
-
Rez007
- Posts: 609
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
- Location: Nevada
Re: Autodesk Desktop Application Question
@Daniel or anyone else who is experiencing this...
I heard back from Support and they gave me a link to check my Device Access Control settings on which devices are allowed to download the main software and updates and add-ons. I checked mine over and tried opening it up completely, and the different options for my computer being listed. It did not work me on my end, so I am continuing on with support to see what it may be. I just wanted to post as an FYI to see if maybe this resolves it for you or anyone else, as I kind of forgot about these, but it didn't work for me anyway.
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-r ... B-htm.html
Thanks!
I heard back from Support and they gave me a link to check my Device Access Control settings on which devices are allowed to download the main software and updates and add-ons. I checked mine over and tried opening it up completely, and the different options for my computer being listed. It did not work me on my end, so I am continuing on with support to see what it may be. I just wanted to post as an FYI to see if maybe this resolves it for you or anyone else, as I kind of forgot about these, but it didn't work for me anyway.
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/search-r ... B-htm.html
Thanks!
Co-Founder/Co-Owner 2GMG (2 Guys Making Games)
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
-
Rez007
- Posts: 609
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
- Location: Nevada
Re: Autodesk Desktop Application Question
Hello. Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I had a quick question I was hoping someone could help me with - Maya related with the Desktop App. When any of you installed Maya 2016 Extension 2 SP2 or Maya 2017 Update 1, did the Desktop App find any of those for you, or did you have to go into your Autodesk account and download/install manually?
AD Support, told me that Service Packs are supposed to be found automatically by the Desktop App, and I am pretty sure that Extension 2 SP1 was found automatically for me, but now SP2 is not. I know it is a service pack for an extension, but I think it should work.
Also, Maya 2017 Update 1, I thought was available to anyone who owns Maya 2017, and should be found automatically by the Desktop App, too. That one is not working either.
There were some Users (myself included) whom got switched out of our "Maya with Softimage" licenses to Maya only - by mistake - and then got switched back. So I do not know if there is something on the backend of AD that stemmed from this, and I am looking for some help to see if anyone was able to access these updates via the Desktop App?
I really do not know the point of the Desktop App, as it seems to not find anything anymore, and it also doesn't give a notification to download any updates manually, if needed. I am on Maintenance for "Maya with Softimage"
Thanks for the help!
AD Support, told me that Service Packs are supposed to be found automatically by the Desktop App, and I am pretty sure that Extension 2 SP1 was found automatically for me, but now SP2 is not. I know it is a service pack for an extension, but I think it should work.
Also, Maya 2017 Update 1, I thought was available to anyone who owns Maya 2017, and should be found automatically by the Desktop App, too. That one is not working either.
There were some Users (myself included) whom got switched out of our "Maya with Softimage" licenses to Maya only - by mistake - and then got switched back. So I do not know if there is something on the backend of AD that stemmed from this, and I am looking for some help to see if anyone was able to access these updates via the Desktop App?
I really do not know the point of the Desktop App, as it seems to not find anything anymore, and it also doesn't give a notification to download any updates manually, if needed. I am on Maintenance for "Maya with Softimage"
Thanks for the help!
Co-Founder/Co-Owner 2GMG (2 Guys Making Games)
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames