I have one question: will Redshift keep on supporting Softimage in the near future (version 2?)?
continued Redshift support?
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
continued Redshift support?
As I am desperately trying to save enough money to buy myself a Redshift license,
I have one question: will Redshift keep on supporting Softimage in the near future (version 2?)?

I have one question: will Redshift keep on supporting Softimage in the near future (version 2?)?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
mattmos
- Posts: 445
- Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 15:59
Re: continued Redshift support?
Short answer, yes 
Longer term, the licence isn't limited to the plugin, so if you change to another DCC any time soon you can just install the plugin for that package.
Longer term, the licence isn't limited to the plugin, so if you change to another DCC any time soon you can just install the plugin for that package.
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
-
wireframex
- Posts: 425
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 21:02
- Location: France
Re: continued Redshift support?
Redshift is a very good choice ;)
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory
-
jamination
- Posts: 174
- Joined: 10 Jul 2009, 19:58
Re: continued Redshift support?
and it works VERY well right now, with the exception of no particle volume support (volumetrics or whatever you what to call it... yet), I don't find myself updating to often even though updates/bug fixes are added several times a month because I am very happy with how things are working. The only thing I render with mental ray is particle volumes when i need them, which is not too often, but it is missed.
Phil Harbath
Jamination Productions
Jamination Productions
-
mc_axe
- Posts: 420
- Joined: 12 Mar 2013, 17:44
Re: continued Redshift support?
Yes its nice investment definitely, i use MR only for certain reasons, for not rly important stuff (not implemented by rs), for example these days i had to add an ink pass. Its really nice if you mix MR and RS, i love to do that feels like a complete rendering solution.
Btw Hirazi did you managed to work with Win 10 after-all? MS got more aggressive with "update to win 10" msgs latelly in my win 8. And it will get more aggressive in to the future.
The only thing that worries me is to wait and see if those high tech gpu renderers are going to adapt vulkan and stuff instead of the classic cuda and openCL, so this would require win 10 .. and im not sure what will happen with compatibility.
Btw Hirazi did you managed to work with Win 10 after-all? MS got more aggressive with "update to win 10" msgs latelly in my win 8. And it will get more aggressive in to the future.
The only thing that worries me is to wait and see if those high tech gpu renderers are going to adapt vulkan and stuff instead of the classic cuda and openCL, so this would require win 10 .. and im not sure what will happen with compatibility.
-
wireframex
- Posts: 425
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 21:02
- Location: France
Re: continued Redshift support?
Big pb here with windows 10.
It seems win10 doesn't support all my GPU NVIDIA cards at the same time (3 GPU) with big crash after fews seconds. I came back to windows 7 x64 and all works very well.
Phil
It seems win10 doesn't support all my GPU NVIDIA cards at the same time (3 GPU) with big crash after fews seconds. I came back to windows 7 x64 and all works very well.
Phil
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: continued Redshift support?
@mc_axe - Rendering (especially the "interactive preview") can lead to some annoying crashes, but ATM I am unsure if Windows 10 is to blame... 
Reducing background processes and saving often help a lot...
Reducing background processes and saving often help a lot...
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
NNois
- Posts: 754
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 18:33
Re: continued Redshift support?
I'm afraid every other renderer than MentalRay on Softimage cause A LOT of crash generaly with the interactive preview.Hirazi Blue wrote:@mc_axe - Rendering (especially the "interactive preview") can lead to some annoying crashes, but ATM I am unsure if Windows 10 is to blame...
Reducing background processes and saving often help a lot...
Sadly that's the case at least from 2013 and i'm sure at some point it was up to Autodesk to fix all the problems related to the "dirt list".
Softimage is really instable from some years now on rendering sessions, you just have to look at the same renderers implemented on another DDC to get the picture...
-
Draise
- Posts: 894
- Joined: 09 Oct 2012, 18:48
- Skype: ondraise
- Location: Colombia
Re: continued Redshift support?
I typically put the auto-rendering preview off, and trigger it manually. Often if you move while it's caching a render, then move again, then move again, it may crash it.
-
wireframex
- Posts: 425
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 21:02
- Location: France
Re: continued Redshift support?
When I talk about crash it is with only windows 10 no time to start SI. There is a big pb about support multpile GPU cards
with 7 all is working perfectly
Here is my main computer :

with 7 all is working perfectly
Here is my main computer :
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory
-
mattmos
- Posts: 445
- Joined: 02 Dec 2009, 15:59
Re: continued Redshift support?
Sure you've already tried it but did you have the latest nvidia drivers with W10? I'd heard they'd solved the issues with 10 but looks like I'll stick with 7 for a while longer.
My OCD is kicking off big time looking at that screenshot btw! Here's my redshift rig (1 titan X, 2 titans)

My OCD is kicking off big time looking at that screenshot btw! Here's my redshift rig (1 titan X, 2 titans)

-
wireframex
- Posts: 425
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 21:02
- Location: France
Re: continued Redshift support?
Thanks mattmos
I will try next time then if they solved the issue
Wow your Redshift rig is cleaner than mine
I will try next time then if they solved the issue
Wow your Redshift rig is cleaner than mine
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory
-
mc_axe
- Posts: 420
- Joined: 12 Mar 2013, 17:44
Re: continued Redshift support?
My rig is so clean that all these titans are not even there.
so jelly
so jelly
-
wireframex
- Posts: 425
- Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 21:02
- Location: France
Re: continued Redshift support?
mc_axe wrote:My rig is so clean that all these titans are not even there.
so jelly
"without mastery, power is nothing" - Softimage Addict User
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory
CPU 3990x 128 Threads / 2 x 3090 RTX - 24 Go / 96 Go memory
-
juanloredo
- Posts: 39
- Joined: 18 Sep 2014, 21:24
Re: continued Redshift support?
wireframex, could you tell me what are your temps in your graphics cards when using redshift after several minutes ? I'm interested on how the water cooling rig compares to the standard fan configuration. Did you bought your cards with the water cooling block pre-installed, or did you installed them yourself?
I have two GTX titan X, after couple of minutes of rendering the one that runs the main monitors (2 Monitors) gets 82C (49C Idle) and the second one (1 Monitor) gets 75C (42C idle). I notice that if I connected the first card to the first monitor and the second card to the other two renaming monitor, the temps get even between the cards at around 42C idle, unfortunately my second card does not run 3d acceleration, I like to run softimage with the dual setup, any node window or 3d view in the second monitor will be super slow, the same happens with other programs, not sure if its an Nvidia thingy, that the second card is never 3d accelerated (I think you need to use SLI, but that does not play good with redshift, or any other gpu render engine)
I have two GTX titan X, after couple of minutes of rendering the one that runs the main monitors (2 Monitors) gets 82C (49C Idle) and the second one (1 Monitor) gets 75C (42C idle). I notice that if I connected the first card to the first monitor and the second card to the other two renaming monitor, the temps get even between the cards at around 42C idle, unfortunately my second card does not run 3d acceleration, I like to run softimage with the dual setup, any node window or 3d view in the second monitor will be super slow, the same happens with other programs, not sure if its an Nvidia thingy, that the second card is never 3d accelerated (I think you need to use SLI, but that does not play good with redshift, or any other gpu render engine)