Hi. I have a model imported from a FBX file. The rig is made up of null joints and I'd like to know how to use IK much like when you draw a 2D skeleton. I'm new to softimage rigging and I'd appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction. I am using Softimage 2015 SP2.
Thank you,
Trea
Help applying IK on null rig
-
xsi_fanatic
- Posts: 283
- Joined: 06 Jun 2011, 01:08
Re: Help applying IK on null rig
Hi Trea,trea wrote:Hi. I have a model imported from a FBX file. The rig is made up of null joints and I'd like to know how to use IK much like when you draw a 2D skeleton. I'm new to softimage rigging and I'd appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction. I am using Softimage 2015 SP2.
Thank you,
Trea
I can certainly help you out with that. But it's easy but a bit lengthy. Would you like to chat in person ?
-
trea
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 19 Mar 2016, 16:13
Re: Help applying IK on null rig
Yes, that would be great thank you. 
-
xsi_fanatic
- Posts: 283
- Joined: 06 Jun 2011, 01:08
Re: Help applying IK on null rig
Cool, PM me your email and/or Skype. I'll send you some scene samples and walk you through the process.trea wrote:Yes, that would be great thank you.
-
AceMastermind
- Posts: 161
- Joined: 14 Jun 2009, 22:57
Re: Help applying IK on null rig
You can restore IK by using the null chains as a snap guide to redraw 2d bone chains and rename the new bones accordingly. Then you could save a weight preset and envelope the mesh to the new skeleton and apply the preset or you could just constrain the null chains to the 2d bone chains.
-
xsi_fanatic
- Posts: 283
- Joined: 06 Jun 2011, 01:08
Re: Help applying IK on null rig
Hi Manny,AceMastermind wrote:You can restore IK by using the null chains as a snap guide to redraw 2d bone chains and rename the new bones accordingly. Then you could save a weight preset and envelope the mesh to the new skeleton and apply the preset or you could just constrain the null chains to the 2d bone chains.
I found that constraining the nulls is the quicker solution. Provided that you don't have to rig everything from scratch. Personally I do this using the myRig autorigger plugin. Simple, yet sophisticated plugin.
-
AceMastermind
- Posts: 161
- Joined: 14 Jun 2009, 22:57
Re: Help applying IK on null rig
You have mistaken me for 3DMastermind (Manny Papamanos).xsi_fanatic wrote:Hi Manny, ...
-
xsi_fanatic
- Posts: 283
- Joined: 06 Jun 2011, 01:08
Re: Help applying IK on null rig
Hahaha ! Sorry about that.AceMastermind wrote:You have mistaken me for 3DMastermind (Manny Papamanos).xsi_fanatic wrote:Hi Manny, ...
-
trea
- Posts: 11
- Joined: 19 Mar 2016, 16:13
Re: Help applying IK on null rig
Thanks to xsi_fanatic for guiding me through on skype. I found the myRig plugin to be very well made and offered a lot of control. I now understand constrains with XSI a lot better than before. You can view xsi_fanatic's videos in this thread.
Ah that's also a great solution, thank you.AceMastermind wrote:You can restore IK by using the null chains as a snap guide to redraw 2d bone chains and rename the new bones accordingly. Then you could save a weight preset and envelope the mesh to the new skeleton and apply the preset or you could just constrain the null chains to the 2d bone chains.