Need help rendering strands

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
User avatar
Pete
Posts: 118
Joined: 16 Jun 2009, 07:28

Need help rendering strands

Post by Pete » 21 Apr 2010, 23:51

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone knows what the problem is here?
My strands wont render...
Image

Image

Thanks
Pete

User avatar
Rork
Posts: 1359
Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands

Re: Need help rendering strands

Post by Rork » 22 Apr 2010, 14:59

If you want trails,you still have to connect a 'generate strand trails' node. Be sure to set the max.# of segments to a high'ish number.
Or maybe I'm wrong and you want something else.

rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!

User avatar
Pete
Posts: 118
Joined: 16 Jun 2009, 07:28

Re: Need help rendering strands

Post by Pete » 23 Apr 2010, 01:48

oh cool thanks!

User avatar
Pete
Posts: 118
Joined: 16 Jun 2009, 07:28

Re: Need help rendering strands

Post by Pete » 01 May 2010, 02:09

Hey I just thought I'd post this for anyone who is stuck on the same issue. Using generate strand trails wasn't working for me but I found a solution, In 'Emit Strands" compound there is this node - Image
And that has the option to "Loft Shape Along Strand" If you check that on you start getting some results. I have no idea why they didn't expose that from the start :-?? but I guess nowadays I'm more used to digging around in these things to get things working.

Apparently there's a way to render strands using the hair shader but I haven't figured that one out yet...

User avatar
Pete
Posts: 118
Joined: 16 Jun 2009, 07:28

Re: Need help rendering strands

Post by Pete » 01 May 2010, 03:01

Yeay! Just thought I'd Share some of my findings with this whole strand rendering business!
I haven't managed to control the thickness over the length yet...

Shape - Cone
Image

Shape - Cube
Image

Shape - Cylinder
Image

Shape - Blob
(bit of a longer render time)
Image

Shape - Disc
Image

Shape - Segment
Image

Shape - Segment
Rendered with HAIR SHADING Material (Requires Segment and you have to plug a ShapeSizeAbsolute node into the emit, check this page for more info http://softimage.wiki.softimage.com/xsi ... 777394.htm)

Image



http://www.naffupdate.com/forumfiles/HairBall_Test.emdl - Here's the model file if anyone's interested