Normals from Geometry Approximation?

Discussions regarding modelling with SOFTIMAGE©
User avatar
AceMastermind
Posts: 161
Joined: 14 Jun 2009, 22:57

Normals from Geometry Approximation?

Post by AceMastermind » 02 Feb 2016, 01:37

Hi, in 7.5 is there a way to export a mesh with normals set by Geometry Approximation other than using FXNut_SaveRenderMesh?
I guess i'm just wondering if there is a way to bake the normals so you can export the mesh to any capable format.
Anyone have or know of a script or something?

User avatar
mc_axe
Posts: 420
Joined: 12 Mar 2013, 17:44

Re: Normals from Geometry Approximation?

Post by mc_axe » 02 Feb 2016, 16:35

not sure, but try obj and activate user normals

User avatar
rray
Moderator
Posts: 1810
Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
Location: Bonn, Germany

Re: Normals from Geometry Approximation?

Post by rray » 02 Feb 2016, 18:08

Yes user normals will do it. In 2016 the "set user normals->user" command copies the viewport normals to user normals, which you can tehn export to OBJ or FBX.
That is automatic discontinuity. Or did you mean smth like smoothed normals like from taken from the subd?
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026

User avatar
AceMastermind
Posts: 161
Joined: 14 Jun 2009, 22:57

Re: Normals from Geometry Approximation?

Post by AceMastermind » 02 Feb 2016, 23:33

I'm using Mod Tool 7.5 so I don't think there is a "set user normals->user" command for baking Discontinuity to User normals.
Every export format seems to ignore normals set through GeoApprox even when User normals is ticked which is a shame because I really like the quick and accurate results I see in the viewport.
I guess i'll continue using the SaveRenderMesh plugin to save an obj with the GeoApprox generated normals. Thanks! :)

User avatar
myara
Posts: 406
Joined: 28 Sep 2011, 08:33

Re: Normals from Geometry Approximation?

Post by myara » 04 Feb 2016, 18:42

You could try this
http://myara.web.fc2.com/mHardEdgeMarker.html
It will simulate the geometry approximation and select edges by angles, you can mark them as hard edges.
I'm sure it ran on old XSI versions but I'm not sure if I changed the code later.
M.Yara
Character Modeler | Softimage Generalist (sort of)