Hello,
I just received an email today from NVidia saying that Iray for Maya is officially released. However, when I go to look at it, it seems like it is a yearly rental only. Does anyone by chance know if Autodesk plans to license this to put it into Maya? Currently, Mental Ray and Iray are both in 3DS Max, and Mental Ray seems to be getting the boot in Maya, as it is no longer installed and you have to grab it separately. Iray is something I would really like to use and have been waiting for it to go to Maya now for some time, so it would be nice if it was in there. Just getting tired of trying to guess which main software to support with Autodesk and not knowing what software is going to get the improvements.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/iray-for-maya.html
Any "heads-up" would be great. Thank You.
Iray for Maya is Out, but...
-
Rez007
- Posts: 609
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
- Location: Nevada
Iray for Maya is Out, but...
Co-Founder/Co-Owner 2GMG (2 Guys Making Games)
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
-
luceric
- Posts: 1252
- Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08
Re: Iray for Maya is Out, but...
Autodesk has never given any indication to suggest that it was deprecating mental ray in Maya to replace it with iray, and the fact that nvidia is starting to sell an iray plugin to add it to Maya should be indication enough.
Last edited by luceric on 30 Jan 2016, 20:34, edited 1 time in total.
-
Bullit
- Moderator
- Posts: 2621
- Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44
Re: Iray for Maya is Out, but...
After this almost ronspeak level answer from luceric - those that follow F1 know what i am talking about...
Let me follow on:
He is asking for Iray...!
Let me follow on:
He is asking for Iray...!
-
Rez007
- Posts: 609
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
- Location: Nevada
Re: Iray for Maya is Out, but...
Hi Guys,
I never said that Autodesk was getting rid of Mental Ray to make room for Iray, nor implying that...I just asked if Iray was coming to Maya through Autodesk. NVidia sells a plugin for Iray for Max as well, even though it is already inside of Max, correct? NVidia selling Iray as a plugin for Maya is not really any indication that it is going to be sold separately only, especially when it says the license goes to December 1st, 2017. I don't know if that is some sort of "first run" ending date to be sold separately at the onset, or if that is just how NVidia is running their first year timeline.
I was just curious, as Max has both, and Mental Ray seems to be getting "detached" (not in terms of parting ways, at least I hope not) from Maya more with releases. At least that is the impression that I am getting when I ordered the physical shipment of my software, and there was no install at all on it for Mental Ray. To clarify, I use Mental Ray and I really like it a lot. However; it would be nice to have both, as how Max has it, and would be beneficial as Iray is now in Substance, natively. Sorry if there was any confusion.
I never said that Autodesk was getting rid of Mental Ray to make room for Iray, nor implying that...I just asked if Iray was coming to Maya through Autodesk. NVidia sells a plugin for Iray for Max as well, even though it is already inside of Max, correct? NVidia selling Iray as a plugin for Maya is not really any indication that it is going to be sold separately only, especially when it says the license goes to December 1st, 2017. I don't know if that is some sort of "first run" ending date to be sold separately at the onset, or if that is just how NVidia is running their first year timeline.
I was just curious, as Max has both, and Mental Ray seems to be getting "detached" (not in terms of parting ways, at least I hope not) from Maya more with releases. At least that is the impression that I am getting when I ordered the physical shipment of my software, and there was no install at all on it for Mental Ray. To clarify, I use Mental Ray and I really like it a lot. However; it would be nice to have both, as how Max has it, and would be beneficial as Iray is now in Substance, natively. Sorry if there was any confusion.
Co-Founder/Co-Owner 2GMG (2 Guys Making Games)
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
-
Rork
- Posts: 1359
- Joined: 09 Jul 2009, 06:59
- Location: Close to The Hague, Netherlands
Re: Iray for Maya is Out, but...
It would be nice to have AD make Maya renderer independent, instead of having a lot of tools and workflows depend on MentalRay.
MentalRay, a renderer that is not part of the installer anymore.....
Goooo AD!!
rob
MentalRay, a renderer that is not part of the installer anymore.....
Goooo AD!!
rob
SI UI tutorials: Toolbar http://goo.gl/iYOL0l | Custom Layout http://goo.gl/6iP5xQ | RenderManager View http://goo.gl/b4ZkjQ
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
So long, and thanks for all the Fish!!
-
angus_davidson
- Posts: 583
- Joined: 20 Dec 2012, 04:13
- Skype: ithacapellin
Re: Iray for Maya is Out, but...
Personally it would be great if you could just grab the iRay install from the AD website like you can the mental ray one. iRay has some nice things going for it and would be great to get a decent material standard. MDL has that potential. Would be amazing to be able load a material into any dcc / stand alone renderer without having to match it / recreate it each time.
--
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University
Technomancer at Digital Arts
Wits University
-
luceric
- Posts: 1252
- Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08
Re: Iray for Maya is Out, but...
I'm guessing this discussions makes more sense now
-
Daniel Brassard
- Posts: 878
- Joined: 18 Mar 2010, 22:38
- Location: St. Thomas, Ontario
Re: Iray for Maya is Out, but...
Was IRAY purchase option before the announcement only a term license option or was there other options?
BTW look like the license is good for 18 months as it expire on December 1st, 2017?
BTW look like the license is good for 18 months as it expire on December 1st, 2017?
http://store.nvidia.com/store/nvidiamr/ ... bPage.irayThe license is a term license that expires on December 1st, 2017 and includes a one-year subscription to updates and bug fix releases. - See more at: http://www.nvidia.com/object/iray-for-maya.html#sthash.FRHSL875.dpuf
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif
-
Rez007
- Posts: 609
- Joined: 12 Jan 2010, 14:51
- Location: Nevada
Re: Iray for Maya is Out, but...
Yes, that seems to be a nice deal..about $300 until December 1st 2017, and I think it is renewable thereafter. I also found out from reading some posts from someone who works on Mental Ray/Iray that the Iray in 3DS Max was not the original Iray core, but rather a derivative of an option through Mental Ray. So the one they are selling in the link you provided for Maya and Max is the true Iray core, which is supposed to be much faster than the original Iray in Max.Daniel Brassard wrote:Was IRAY purchase option before the announcement only a term license option or was there other options?
BTW look like the license is good for 18 months as it expire on December 1st, 2017?
http://store.nvidia.com/store/nvidiamr/ ... bPage.irayThe license is a term license that expires on December 1st, 2017 and includes a one-year subscription to updates and bug fix releases. - See more at: http://www.nvidia.com/object/iray-for-maya.html#sthash.FRHSL875.dpuf
I think MDLs is something really nice too, that is in the Mental Ray/Iray engines.
Yes it does...luceric wrote:I'm guessing this discussions makes more sense now
Co-Founder/Co-Owner 2GMG (2 Guys Making Games)
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
Creator of Blaster X HD https://itunes.apple.com/app/blaster-x- ... 51024?mt=8
http://www.facebook.com/2GMGames
http://www.twitter.com/2GMGames
-
Daniel Brassard
- Posts: 878
- Joined: 18 Mar 2010, 22:38
- Location: St. Thomas, Ontario
Re: Iray for Maya is Out, but...
It is worth noting that the IRay that come with Maya/Max is a 90 days trial version that will time out after 90 days and is only as good as your last upgrade to Maya/3DMax/Mental Ray. After 90 days, you will have to buy the IRay license. This is explained in the license manager document here:
https://forum.nvidia-arc.com/showthread ... umentation
MDL is based on the layering method that NVidia has been developing for a few years now. More on that subject can be found on this site:
http://www.mdlhandbook.com/
https://forum.nvidia-arc.com/showthread ... umentation
MDL is based on the layering method that NVidia has been developing for a few years now. More on that subject can be found on this site:
http://www.mdlhandbook.com/
$ifndef "Softimage"
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif
set "Softimage" "true"
$endif