Hello
Has anybody ecountered the issue when saving a scene the scn file isn't actually written?
It happens most of the time with a scene I have right now. I have to save around 5 times until something is written to disk.
I only noticed that the progress bar at the bottom progresses very quick when the scene file is not written. Nothing is logged except "Application.SaveScene()"
rr
save not saving?
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
save not saving?
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: save not saving?
I'm assuming - as you do not state this explicitly - that this is Softimage 2015 SP2 or R2-SP2.
Did you already try the old-fashioned fabled "Troubleshooting 101",
i.e. runonce.bat, resetting your User preferences and merging the current scene in a new one?

Did you already try the old-fashioned fabled "Troubleshooting 101",
i.e. runonce.bat, resetting your User preferences and merging the current scene in a new one?
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Re: save not saving?
Latest release yes, and tried the first two of your suggestions (to no avail sadly). Will try merging later and rebuiliding the scene if that one fails. Maybe I can track it down then. Cheers!
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026
-
luceric
- Posts: 1252
- Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08
Re: save not saving?
you probably already know this, but XSI isn't going to save the scene if it wasn't modified. How it knows a scene is modified. so what are you doing before you hit ctrl+s?
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Re: save not saving?
Thanks for your reply. I'm usually orbiting a little between the saves.
some stuff I've observed
* after having worked on the scene for a longer period, save usually doesn't write a file the first time, but almost always the second time
* getting the progress bar popping up quickly for the unsuccessful saves (I think this means that the scene has been recognized as modified --- no progress bar is shown when it's not modified)
* getting a floating object warning for camera.Kinematics when it saved successfully (Deleted the camera and created a new one but still running into the issue)
some stuff I've observed
* after having worked on the scene for a longer period, save usually doesn't write a file the first time, but almost always the second time
* getting the progress bar popping up quickly for the unsuccessful saves (I think this means that the scene has been recognized as modified --- no progress bar is shown when it's not modified)
* getting a floating object warning for camera.Kinematics when it saved successfully (Deleted the camera and created a new one but still running into the issue)
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026
-
luceric
- Posts: 1252
- Joined: 21 Jun 2009, 22:08
Re: save not saving?
Hard to tell what's going on.
You can rule out dirty scene issues by doing a Save As (for example with a button+script) instead of a save.
Also, I'd try clearing the temp directory on your computer and rebooting.
Finally, I'd try to rule out an issue with the anti-virus by disabling it for a while. I've seen issues, not with XSI but even at work here some people couldn't always reliably save text files from visual studios because the anti virus sometimes caused access violations if they hit ctrl+s too quickly.
You can rule out dirty scene issues by doing a Save As (for example with a button+script) instead of a save.
Also, I'd try clearing the temp directory on your computer and rebooting.
Finally, I'd try to rule out an issue with the anti-virus by disabling it for a while. I've seen issues, not with XSI but even at work here some people couldn't always reliably save text files from visual studios because the anti virus sometimes caused access violations if they hit ctrl+s too quickly.