reducing colors at render time?
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
reducing colors at render time?
For a NPR effect I would want to create some deliberate "color banding", the kind you can achieve in postprocessing using a "reduce colors" operator. Is there a way to tell Mental Ray beforehand to reduce the colors to a minimum, creating the desired "color banding" at render time?

Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Re: reducing colors at render time?
I couldn't find anything to reproduce exactly that effect, but you could give a color_curves node a try, inserted between your shader and the material in the rendertree.
Or if you want it as a global effect for the whole rendering, you can also insert the node as a lens shader, between for example an inactive lens effect shader and the camera lend shader port.
But it's difficult to make the curves do the exact stepping effect. It always turns psychedelic.
Or if you want it as a global effect for the whole rendering, you can also insert the node as a lens shader, between for example an inactive lens effect shader and the camera lend shader port.
But it's difficult to make the curves do the exact stepping effect. It always turns psychedelic.
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: reducing colors at render time?
Thanks fpr the suggestion. Which node do you mean exactly?
I am apparently suffering from "node blindness", because I haven't been able to find it yet...
;)
I am apparently suffering from "node blindness", because I haven't been able to find it yet...
;)
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: reducing colors at render time?
i think I have found one possible solution using incidence, a stepped gradient and a toon mixer.
Playing around with the gradient brings even more possibilities, obviously...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!
-
rray
- Moderator
- Posts: 1810
- Joined: 26 Sep 2009, 13:51
- Location: Bonn, Germany
Re: reducing colors at render time?
I meant "Color Curve" it's giving you a function curve for each channel which you can make "steppy". But using the toon shaders is a much better solution, completely forgot those were there.
softimage resources section updated Sep 26th 2026
-
Hirazi Blue
- Administrator
- Posts: 5113
- Joined: 04 Jun 2009, 10:15
Re: reducing colors at render time?
Was playing with this some more, only to figure out that you could easily plug the stepped compound
between a soft light shader and the light material for a more scene-wide effect...
between a soft light shader and the light material for a more scene-wide effect...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stay safe, sane & healthy!