Stop duplicate geo instances in same spot
-
thorsnuts
- Posts: 153
- Joined: 08 Oct 2012, 17:42
Stop duplicate geo instances in same spot
Hello...
How can I have one particle per point without another particle in the same place?
My situation is this... I have a sphere with 6 different meshes objects I need to stick to the surface of, but whether it be Emit for point or surface, with total number of particles, I get multiple instances in the same exact spot, creating a not so professional overlapping look.
Is there a way to have random instances dead center of each poly or point, without overlapping the geo instances?
thanks
How can I have one particle per point without another particle in the same place?
My situation is this... I have a sphere with 6 different meshes objects I need to stick to the surface of, but whether it be Emit for point or surface, with total number of particles, I get multiple instances in the same exact spot, creating a not so professional overlapping look.
Is there a way to have random instances dead center of each poly or point, without overlapping the geo instances?
thanks
-
Bullit
- Moderator
- Posts: 2621
- Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44
Re: Stop duplicate geo instances in same spot
You have to get the same number of particles as the number of spots you want with them.
-
thorsnuts
- Posts: 153
- Joined: 08 Oct 2012, 17:42
Re: Stop duplicate geo instances in same spot
Hello... I've tried that and doesn't give me the results I need. Maybe I'm missing a step.
Would you set emission type to Surface or point? Because the same number between the two give very different results in terms of number of instances.
thanks for the help
Would you set emission type to Surface or point? Because the same number between the two give very different results in terms of number of instances.
thanks for the help
-
Bullit
- Moderator
- Posts: 2621
- Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44
Re: Stop duplicate geo instances in same spot
Try to put a randomize around value in the index of instance shape.
-
Tekano
- Posts: 488
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 12:49
- Location: London, UK
Re: Stop duplicate geo instances in same spot
Emission sampling is your problem here, or more specifically the 'generate sample set' inside the 'emit from geometry' node. (its trying to be clever but missed this particular option of emission)
Nevermind though it is easy to fix, just make your own emmiter by simply generating the array of points directly from the spheres pointposition. like this
Nevermind though it is easy to fix, just make your own emmiter by simply generating the array of points directly from the spheres pointposition. like this
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.
-
thorsnuts
- Posts: 153
- Joined: 08 Oct 2012, 17:42
Re: Stop duplicate geo instances in same spot
ahhhhh thank you very much. I wouldn't have figured that out by myself.
thanks again
thanks again
-
Bullit
- Moderator
- Posts: 2621
- Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44
Re: Stop duplicate geo instances in same spot
And showing that can be it done other ways, here is another:
Point Location is not correct way but it works.
Point Location is not correct way but it works.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
thorsnuts
- Posts: 153
- Joined: 08 Oct 2012, 17:42
Re: Stop duplicate geo instances in same spot
Let me ask... And I haven't had a chance to try these techniques yet, but would this work as a simulated ice tree as well? Although the model stack would make it a lot easier for me as I wouldn't have to cache the sim.
I've created this attached image using methods I'm familiar with. I'm using emTools spread evenly across surface, but its really slow at times. And I don't feel the caching is reliable enough with such a curial element of the scene (Sometimes the particles don't load up, but that a whole other issue).
thanks again
I've created this attached image using methods I'm familiar with. I'm using emTools spread evenly across surface, but its really slow at times. And I don't feel the caching is reliable enough with such a curial element of the scene (Sometimes the particles don't load up, but that a whole other issue).
thanks again
-
Bullit
- Moderator
- Posts: 2621
- Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44
Re: Stop duplicate geo instances in same spot
What kind animation do you want to do?
-
thorsnuts
- Posts: 153
- Joined: 08 Oct 2012, 17:42
Re: Stop duplicate geo instances in same spot
Hi,
Well, I would need the instances attached so I can add a turbulize mesh to the sphere... or any kind of deformer I might need to get look Im going for.
I also need to populate a scene with these little guys as well.
Well, I would need the instances attached so I can add a turbulize mesh to the sphere... or any kind of deformer I might need to get look Im going for.
I also need to populate a scene with these little guys as well.
-
Tekano
- Posts: 488
- Joined: 09 Jun 2009, 12:49
- Location: London, UK
Re: Stop duplicate geo instances in same spot
yes you can keep the instances locked to the emitting shape by specifying an emit location and then sticking to that emit location every frame in the simulation. OK for 1 object but if you have a considerable amount of these I would bake the instances to new geometry first so you have a master mesh that will be your instance for your larger point cloud of these things moving around populating your scene.
there are a few instance to mesh compounds around, but this is a bit tricky set up for a beginner, if you have 2015 I made a demo scene attached here of pretty much what you are after - didnt take long
Also this not baking to geo first, its using ICE topology generated instance so the original instances on the spheres can be resized or changed easily. If you want them animated you would have to put the instances pointcloud into a simulation as well setting the shapes every frame - but this would slow everything down dramatically
there are a few instance to mesh compounds around, but this is a bit tricky set up for a beginner, if you have 2015 I made a demo scene attached here of pretty much what you are after - didnt take long
Also this not baking to geo first, its using ICE topology generated instance so the original instances on the spheres can be resized or changed easily. If you want them animated you would have to put the instances pointcloud into a simulation as well setting the shapes every frame - but this would slow everything down dramatically
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gossip is what no one claims to like, but everybody enjoys.
-
Bullit
- Moderator
- Posts: 2621
- Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44
Re: Stop duplicate geo instances in same spot
thorsnuts wrote:Hi,
Well, I would need the instances attached so I can add a turbulize mesh to the sphere... or any kind of deformer I might need to get look Im going for.
I also need to populate a scene with these little guys as well.
Move the pointcloud ice tree to the post simulation in the stack, that way it follows the points in the animated mesh (you need to add a simulated ice tree to the point cloud for post simulation to appear, then delete this simulated ice tree)
Then you can make instance of instances.
Edit: if your sphere moves also and not only deforms you have to build the ice tree like this:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
thorsnuts
- Posts: 153
- Joined: 08 Oct 2012, 17:42
Re: Stop duplicate geo instances in same spot
wow... Thanks guys. Very helpful and I appreciate the time you've taken out of your day to help me.
I do more asking than helping on the forums and I'm going to make it a point to change that. It's only right... Thanks so much!!
Ill let you know how it turns out
I do more asking than helping on the forums and I'm going to make it a point to change that. It's only right... Thanks so much!!
Ill let you know how it turns out
-
Bullit
- Moderator
- Posts: 2621
- Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44
Re: Stop duplicate geo instances in same spot
A necessary note since i have made mistake in last icetree. the order of matrix operation matters, you should put the sphere.kine.global as the second operator in multiply operation while the SRT to matrix should be the first operator.
-
thorsnuts
- Posts: 153
- Joined: 08 Oct 2012, 17:42
Re: Stop duplicate geo instances in same spot
Hey.. can I ask where you learn this stuff from? I know playing around helps a great deal but I don't even understand some of these things to start playing around. you know what I mean? When it comes to creating my own matrix array circulatory get point custom ICE tree...
I don't know how to wrap my head around it.
thanks again
thanks again
-
Bullit
- Moderator
- Posts: 2621
- Joined: 24 May 2012, 07:44
Re: Stop duplicate geo instances in same spot
I don't have formal education on this particular subject. I just see tutorials, take notes i also check examples.
Pooby tutorials the earlier ones when he started
https://vimeo.com/pooby
Psyop Softimage worshops it is an example.
https://vimeo.com/psyop/videos/page:11/sort:date
Pooby tutorials the earlier ones when he started
https://vimeo.com/pooby
Psyop Softimage worshops it is an example.
https://vimeo.com/psyop/videos/page:11/sort:date