Syflex on animated geo

Discussions about SOFTIMAGEs© Interactive Creative Environment©
User avatar
sant0s
Posts: 353
Joined: 05 Sep 2011, 20:57
Location: São Pedro de Moel

Syflex on animated geo

Post by sant0s » 05 Aug 2015, 17:54

Hey :)

I made this algae here and wanna let it decompose:
Nudity warning: [ Show ]
Image
Nice ICE job I thought.
So a kollega gave me a scene where he animated the plant with a lattice.
Problem now is, that I cannot add any simulation on top.

I had that problem once, but dunno how I solved it. To long ago ^^
Is there a way to add syflex on an object thats animated with a lattice?
I wanna add some simulated peel effect/syflex and let parts of the leaf sink to the ground, but the plant itself needs to bend in the same time.

Thx alot! :)
sant0s

User avatar
FXDude
Posts: 1145
Joined: 19 Jun 2012, 19:59

Re: Syflex on animated geo

Post by FXDude » 05 Aug 2015, 18:35

Have you tried putting the lattice deform -after- the simulation? (in the "Post-Simulation" stack)

PS: AAH!! A completely nude Algea!! Good thing there was that nudity warning :p

User avatar
Draise
Posts: 894
Joined: 09 Oct 2012, 18:48
Skype: ondraise
Location: Colombia

Re: Syflex on animated geo

Post by Draise » 05 Aug 2015, 19:11

=))

User avatar
sant0s
Posts: 353
Joined: 05 Sep 2011, 20:57
Location: São Pedro de Moel

Re: Syflex on animated geo

Post by sant0s » 05 Aug 2015, 19:38

oh man, dude... thank you so much!
I was moving everything in the stack - but not the lattice... :D

hehheh, yea - I though that green, slimy, salty could make 3d guys grrr =p~ , so better put a warning ;)

User avatar
FXDude
Posts: 1145
Joined: 19 Jun 2012, 19:59

Re: Syflex on animated geo

Post by FXDude » 05 Aug 2015, 21:25

It's actually pretty neat, light transmission looks good,
yet perhaps it could use less specular reflection? (if any at all especially under water)

For light at glancing angles if you multiply an illuminatiuon shader (using diffuse only)
with an (perhaps gamma-ed or exponent down) incidence
(getting exponentially instead of linearly lighter towards edges)

and then screen or add the incidence multiplied shading result to your current shading,
it should more closely reproduce how "speculars" look & behave undewater


For the subsurface light tranmission which looks good but peraps slightly flat,
you could re-use the gamma-ed incidence alone except inverted to modulate subsurface light transmission

It would reproduce what refraction of the transmitted light would look like, while accentuating the impression of thickness

Nice job though! and well balanced, looks dreamy :)

User avatar
sant0s
Posts: 353
Joined: 05 Sep 2011, 20:57
Location: São Pedro de Moel

Re: Syflex on animated geo

Post by sant0s » 05 Aug 2015, 22:02

Wow, great infos here!
Will try that tomorrow - right now I get the syflex peeling done for a first night run. amazing ICE :D
I still dont get over it, that SI is kinda "dead"...!

But nice to get more infos than expected, thanks for that! :)
Ill give an update on that.

User avatar
FXDude
Posts: 1145
Joined: 19 Jun 2012, 19:59

Re: Syflex on animated geo

Post by FXDude » 05 Aug 2015, 22:37

No prob! cant wait to see it!

User avatar
sant0s
Posts: 353
Joined: 05 Sep 2011, 20:57
Location: São Pedro de Moel

Re: Syflex on animated geo

Post by sant0s » 06 Aug 2015, 08:39

good morning :)

just realized, that I get another problem now.

The Lattice is doing a good job and also syflex is working.
But the syflex get simulated, like there is no Lattice - means, the gravity is following the bended lattice...
Just uploading a video to show the problem, vimeo needs stome time to converte ^^

edit: https://vimeo.com/135548443

Pooby
Posts: 501
Joined: 27 Aug 2010, 20:25

Re: Syflex on animated geo

Post by Pooby » 06 Aug 2015, 20:48

The lattice is being applied after syflex, so that's bound to happen. It fell down , then You warped "down" to be across and down.
Syflex has no knowledge of what happens after its applied.
If you want syflex to be affected by things in the scene then you'll have to use things like mimic, pin and your ingenuity.
I often use mimic to affect simulations.

User avatar
sant0s
Posts: 353
Joined: 05 Sep 2011, 20:57
Location: São Pedro de Moel

Re: Syflex on animated geo

Post by sant0s » 07 Aug 2015, 12:19

hey pooby - will try that, thx! :)

User avatar
FXDude
Posts: 1145
Joined: 19 Jun 2012, 19:59

Re: Syflex on animated geo

Post by FXDude » 08 Aug 2015, 21:51

Could you also perhaps have an independent cloud to emit flake particles or "falling leaves" (perhaps progressively with states) from the deformed geo, then only affected by it's own forces?

Cause even if syflex would keep underlying deformation animations, wouldn't point positions (along with gravity) also be bound to the lattice deformation field?

cheers,

User avatar
sant0s
Posts: 353
Joined: 05 Sep 2011, 20:57
Location: São Pedro de Moel

Re: Syflex on animated geo

Post by sant0s » 09 Aug 2015, 11:02

hey dude :D

actually my goal is, to get some kinda decaying - similar to that fantastic animation here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9A1eQIWc-c

I just started to work it out with a mix of hand animation and ICE Shape defomartion like here: http://caffeineabuse.blogspot.pt/2012/0 ... image.html

The problem with syflex and mimic/pin is, that the plant has not so less points - and controlling that with another geo drives me crazy :D

So for now I am deform, delete polyons and emit waste/bubbles by an growing weight map, that seems do to the trick and I have much more control!
And its not having problems with lattice.

Ah, before I forget, maybe someone has an answer: The biggest problem with syflex I have is, that the leafes are not connected to the stem. Its one geometry, but its like merged without the points are merged (dunno how to say that ^^ http://abload.de/img/plant0flwk.jpg).
So when simulated with syflex, the leafs just fall down and that looks shitty... Is there a way to realy connect the leafs to the steam? I started by hand, but that realy depressed me ^^
I made that plant with forester, btw.

User avatar
FXDude
Posts: 1145
Joined: 19 Jun 2012, 19:59

Re: Syflex on animated geo

Post by FXDude » 11 Aug 2015, 03:48

Have you tried booleans to merge the meshes? there's also Oleg's implosiaFX (for shattering) that contains a reliable and fast ICE boolean compound.